Some Catacombs answers from Matt Firor

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
MMORPG.COM published quite interesting interview with Matt Firor about Catacombs expansion and more. Quite a some questions answered:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview/features/loadFeature/3/gameID/11/

Some most interesting ones:

MMORPG.COM: With the graphics changes, will we see new or augmented spell effects, attack styles and/or emotes?
Firor: The new classes will have new spell effects, but in general we're happy with those. You will, however, see all-new attack, emote, and other player animations in Catacombs.

MMORPG.COM: One of the more common pitfalls of MMORPG expansions in general is that the introduction of newer items often tends to render the extant items less desirable or obsolete. Are steps are being taken to maintain the desirability of existing items while introducing exciting new armor, weapons, jewelry, etc.?
Firor: Yes, and in Camelot terms this means that we're minimizing the effect of Catacombs items and abilities on RvR combat. The design goal is to make it so if you don't purchase Catacombs, you'll still be able to compete in RvR.

MMORPG.COM: What is the current anticipated release date of Imperator?
Firor: Really, to be determined. We think it'll be sometime in winter of 2005/2006, but we're not going to release it until it is ready.

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
Serdan said:
MMORPG.COM: One of the more common pitfalls of MMORPG expansions in general is that the introduction of newer items often tends to render the extant items less desirable or obsolete. Are steps are being taken to maintain the desirability of existing items while introducing exciting new armor, weapons, jewelry, etc.?
Firor: Yes, and in Camelot terms this means that we're minimizing the effect of Catacombs items and abilities on RvR combat. The design goal is to make it so if you don't purchase Catacombs, you'll still be able to compete in RvR.

didn't they say that about ToA too? :S

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Serdan said:
Firor: Really, to be determined. We think it'll be sometime in winter of 2005/2006, but we're not going to release it until it is ready.

Yeah right. So 2 years before we get it here in EU? Dont think Ill be around by then atleast.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Wtf

cemi0 said:
Yeah right. So 2 years before we get it here in EU? Dont think Ill be around by then atleast.

Who cares bout Imperator? It's their equivalent to EQ = no PvP (maybe a Gladiator Arena like :eek:), i wont hold my breath for it tbh ^^

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Serdan said:
MMORPG.COM published quite interesting interview with Matt Firor about Catacombs expansion and more. Quite a some questions answered:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview/features/loadFeature/3/gameID/11/

tbh they'll release it as soon as people start leaving daoc in large numbers imo :p

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
No mention of how the new character creation system will effect already made characters though :(

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
ToA - "Won't affet RvR at all"
Catacombs - "We're minimizing the effect of Catacombs items and abilities on RvR combat. The design goal is to make it so if you don't purchase Catacombs, you'll still be able to compete in RvR. "

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
tbh they'll release it as soon as people start leaving daoc in large numbers imo :p

how dare they employ a marketing strategy !!! and try and make a profit !! the heathens !!! Didn't they know that we r all poor gamer greasemonkeys !!!

U wanna see money siphoning, go take a look at SWG/ Planetside.

Grimmen

Fledgling Freddie
I wonder when they are gonna release any info on the new classes :(

I have one slot left on my account and I dont want to use it until I know if any of the Catacombs classes are gonna be interesting or not. :(

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Pretty good odds we'll get more character slots in Catacombs; the last expansion that gave us new classes (SI) gave us 4 more slots, I'm hoping we get another 4 this time.

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
No mention of how the new character creation system will effect already made characters though :(
A long time ago Mythic stated that Catacombs players would get a 'visual respec' so to say when they first log in their character.

However, no mention has been made of this since. Because of that I started assuming that there would be a 1-on-1 translation to how someone looks in older clients and Catacombs, but Matt Firor stated in this interview there will be more customizability than before..

I hope they implement their original idea of a visual respec, defaulting to whatever looks most like your current character :)

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Pretty good odds we'll get more character slots in Catacombs; the last expansion that gave us new classes (SI) gave us 4 more slots, I'm hoping we get another 4 this time.
If not 4, I hope we'll at least get 2, to try the new classes if anything.

Gamah

Banned
I can't wait for catacombs more pve farmage !!!! ZzZ, na seriously I like doac expansions

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Thorarin said:
If not 4, I hope we'll at least get 2, to try the new classes if anything.

Unless you play Alb and then you get only 1 extra slot. :p

Shadoo

Fledgling Freddie
whats all this about instansing(sp?) dungeons? interactive enviroments?
ive been under a rock for too long :touch:

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Serdan said:

LOL he already told that for SI and TOA :m00:

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Shadoo said:
whats all this about instansing(sp?) dungeons? interactive enviroments?
The idea of instanced dungeons is that your group(s) have their own private copy of the dungeon.

Result is you dont have problems with other groups camping 'your spot' and the difficulty can be balanced more easily - either varied depending on the number of chars present or by restricting the number of people that can enter any 'instance'. Its far from being a perfect system - but its probably worth a try to reduce the number of 'camped' whines.

EQ did it a few expansions ago, SWG did a few months back: Mythic have no choice but to do their own 'me too' version ;)

(sure AO or something had it first, but since virtually noone plays AO its irrelevant :p)

Solabar

Fledgling Freddie
Character Slots

Somewhere in the interview I read they specified 2 extra character slots.

Probably so you can try the new classes without deleteing any old chars

Justicator

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
I can't wait for catacombs more pve farmage !!!! ZzZ, na seriously I like doac expansions

If you hate 'em so much, why you actually play daoc again?

Feel free to :flame: :flame:

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
character slots

Yup, you get 2 more slots with catacombs - only available through catacombs client though - not quite sure how they will implement that, however!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom