Some armsman questions...

T

Tualatin

I wanna make a 2h armsman..

Should i choose slash/ crush or trust?

And what race, highlander or briton..
Highlander for more hp & more str.. or briton for the normal dex & qui...

E

Ekydus

Tualatin = Paladin.
Armsman + Paladin on same account = boring. :(

T

Tualatin

lol ;P you know me too well ekydus.. However, i'd like to -atleast- try a melee dmg dealer ;) - instead of the defensive pala..

E

Ekydus

In that case either:
a) Go Midgard.
b) Go Polearm spec.

T

Tualatin

Ok, can someone seriously answer this question.. seems like ekydus has sumthing against (2h) armsmen :p

E

Ekydus

The way I see it is:
Both Armsmen and Paladins get the 2H option. What seperates the Armsmen is the Polearm spec.
If you want 2H, respec Tualatin to see what it's like. Go kill the Dragon, it's bursting full of the stones.

T

Tualatin

pala hasn't got enough spec pts for 2h.. unless u wanna be gimped in chants.

mind you.. it's simply my choise to make another plate wearing tank, i'll see for myself if i get it past 24 or smt.. got 8 slots..

S

skile

Originally posted by Ekydus
The way I see it is:
Both Armsmen and Paladins get the 2H option. What seperates the Armsmen is the Polearm spec.
If you want 2H, respec Tualatin to see what it's like. Go kill the Dragon, it's bursting full of the stones.

Armsmen get more hp :p.

S

skile

I'm trying this spec for my arms:

29 slash
49 parry
50 shield

T

Tualatin

to go totally offtopic here;

why defensive armsman? with 29 slash you dont do that much dmg.. tho you got uber defense.. but you might consider pala then, and let chants be autotrained..

For the same effect, exept for the styles you can do; endlessly slamming etc ;)

K

Kagato.

If your going defensive, do it proply with a paladin,

If your being an armsman at least go hybrid or pure pole spec, otherwise might as well be a paladin still.

If you really really must be two handed armsman though, then go slash, as Thrust is 75% strength 25% Dex based and you wont have the dex to make it worthwhile.

O

old.LandShark

Highlander is the best race for a polearms or 2h armsman, only thing it's got going against it is the kilt. Low dex hardly matters when your only defence is the currently-broken parry. Anyhow, 10dex under a briton is nothing to cry about - certainly 10str 10con makes up for it.
About dmgtypes...
Crush is basically pointless. Neutral against all mid armors but resisted by scale... so you'll have a bonus against bards, blademasters and rangers/nightshades, but a penalty against druids/wardens/heros.
Slash is good vs zerkers, savages, druids, heros and wardens, but bad vs warriors, skalds, healers, shammies, blademasters and again the hib rogues.
Thrust is neutral to all of hibernia and has a bonus against warriors, healers, skalds and shammies. Penalty against zerkers and savages though... not a class you want to leave rampaging around for a long time if you can avoid it, but then if you kill their healers they'll be in trouble anyway.
Dunno, perhaps some thrust polers could debate against some slashers? I'd be interested myself... although from a group minstrel perspective rather than as a tank :>

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Sol-
haahahahahaha

Spam :great:

Btw someone compare pole vs 2h plz, my friend is lvling an arms atm. ;p

M

Moody

There's nothing wrong with having more than one tank. If tanking is your thing don't roll a wizard because others tell you to.

There really isn't too much difference between pole and 2H. They both have nice styles, they both give fairly good damage. Mine has been 2H crush for 49 levels, then I respecced because I wanted to try a shield and crush wasn't as good anymore with the changed armour resist tables. I loved the shield, but I didn't have the load of possibilities a defensive paladin has and I didn't like the character on the whole anymore. Since the respec was bugged at that time I still had a full respec left so recently made him 2H thrust. Maybe not THE best choice but at least I'm not like everyone else.

It's personal what you want to go for, 2H or pole. Ask Kagato and he says pole, ask Gunnerr and he says 2H. Bottom line: Play what you like.

S

Sol-

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Spam :great:

Btw someone compare pole vs 2h plz, my friend is lvling an arms atm. ;p

speak to ialk/gunnerr

O

old.LandShark

Well, yeah, but I want them to debate it for my amusement!

O

old.Lianuchta

Something to keep in mind is that, at least on Hib/Pryd, a fair amount of the scale wearers are switching to wearing reinforced instead of scale because of the slash resist. Not sure how smart it is...

K

Kagato.

Slash vs thrust debate has been done to death you don't really gain a whole lot either way.

I personally went for Thrust for the reasons above, its neutral to all hibs and theres only a few mid classes that are resistant, the rest its either good or neutral too.

If you do the maths Thrust comes out better by being neutral to one or two mores classes then slash, of which both are good against the same number of classes I think. But its not a huge bonus.

However the way I see it is, seeing as with poles there all strength based and you can pick any damage type, you might as well go for the one you'd normally be penalised for using.

T

Treniel-

2h rocks on armsmen look at gunner/huma best armsmen in the realm huma used to be 2h and gunner beats me every time in a duel cus his stuns faster than my pole stun and slam + styles don't do enough dmg fast enough :) only draw back of the 50/50 2h spec is that you have no instant stun to protect casters do u need to balence grps more....atm (when GOA un gimp it) my spec is 50pole 42sheild 39slash 6parry bit low on defense with pole but my dmg has increase a fair bit quite tempted to get a respec stone and do 44slash 44pole 42sheild and rest parry (about 13 i think) but i doubt its gonna happen...if u want to go full offensive go 2h 50slash 502h 7 sheild rest parry if u want to do half and half do a hybrid spec theres many about

O

old.Kal

Hybrid pole/2h is best imo. And huma specced out of 2h :p Parry is a useless spec in rvr as ive argued many times :p But you NEED SLAM. So 50 pole 42 shield 39 slash/crush is best as u get follow up the phalanx which you will use a LOT in rvr. Dont go thrust as its total shit for armsmen 1handed.

imo...:p

S

Silenzio

Originally posted by Kagato.

as Thrust is 75% strength 25% Dex based

kinda sure u wrong... the opposite id say =) rely more on dex less on str

n btw that true only if wielding a 1h... since pole every pole
si Full Str

=)

W

wolfen_rb

Originally posted by old.Kal
Dont go thrust as its total shit for armsmen 1handed.

points @ Bearthooth = ecellent style and 1-hand thrust :clap:. sure 1hand is str / dex based, but the damage comes from the funny dudes behind u :O

says the
50 Pole, 42 Shield, 39 Thrust, some parry Armsman

and defenders aegis is worth the points, cuz if u choose the right target it turns arround and ruuuuns so u land it easy. go bard go :O

just my 2 cc.

M

Moody

No he's right. Poles are indeed str based only, as are 2H slash and crush, but 2H thrust is 75%str and 25%dex (2H, not 1H which is 50-50 i think)

Its on the camelot herald http://www.camelotherald.com/more/384.php

Q: In an earlier grab bag, you told us that 2H weapons are modified by strength, and thrust weapons were modified by strength and dexterity. Well, what about 2H thrust weapons?

A: 75% strength, 25% dexterity.

S

Silenzio

Originally posted by old.Kal
Dont go thrust as its total shit for armsmen 1handed.

depend how u spec in =)
if someone get to 44 thrust

tranquilize+ wyvern fang is rlly nice chain ...

with less mmm beartooth =) stun swithc to pole n wak

yess duration bear stun is shorter than slma...
but :

1) use way less end
2) easyer to land sicne bonus to hit
3) it rely on ur weap skill

now... here im talking bout 1h thrust style for a poler/2h
if someone rlly go 1h... than avoid thrust

L

lude-fc

Got polearm + slam....polearm without out it is useless, my bro is specced like it....suxx

S

Silenzio

Originally posted by Moody
No he's right. Poles are indeed str based only, as are 2H slash and crush, but 2H thrust is 75%str and 25%dex (2H, not 1H which is 50-50 i think)

Its on the camelot herald http://www.camelotherald.com/more/384.php

Q: In an earlier grab bag, you told us that 2H weapons are modified by strength, and thrust weapons were modified by strength and dexterity. Well, what about 2H thrust weapons?

A: 75% strength, 25% dexterity.

so u are talking about 2 hand weapons... like a 2 hand sword or 2 hand axe... not pole, right?

i was talking bout pole :)

kinda dodgy this grab bag...they say 2h... 2 hand r a class ov weapon... but also mean weapon that need to be wielded with both the 2 hand ;P

Y

Yuanyuan

u should train ur armsman by ur own way, why ask others, they are exactly right something? give me a respec stone, i go 50 x bow 42 shield rest all parry, i pary with my xbow, raaaah

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom