Solar System Simulator BETA

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Hello there!

I am just in the process of uploading my previously described solar system simulator for free download and was wondering if people could let me know if it works before I update the website with full download details and links (and problems)...

Figured as I've been an FH member for so long, first dibs (or problems!) should go to you lot. :)

www.tssengine.com/TSSE.zip

Note: Windows only, might not work on old machines, don't go mental with the detail level (further explanation will be available from the website when it launches later today). If when you first load it up you go to File -> Load Randomised Project, and pick one, you should get an instant system. If the user interface and graphical interface both still respond, the program works! Please let me know if it does or doesn't. :)

Kind Regards,
Kir.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Heh, just make sure you open task manager whilst you're doing it. If the program hits around 1.8Gb in size, it'll crash :(. Each planet at higher detail levels will take a fair ol' while to load too (seconds for detail 11)...

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Little worried to have logged 150+ website errors in the last 10 minutes or so...the site working for everyone or is this just because I haven't created a custom 404 message?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Little worried to have logged 150+ website errors in the last 10 minutes or so...the site working for everyone or is this just because I haven't created a custom 404 message?

worked for me buddy. I briefly browsed all your links to test for you, and downloaded the zip. It works :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Cheers mate, I did find that each of the errors was a favicon followed by 404 so I've included favicon links for every page and will see if it stops the error messages. Bit of an oversight on my part but as you can probably tell, user interfaces and website design I am not very good at, heh.

TdC

no worries, I'm sure nobody will bitch about the favicons or lack thereof :)

did you do this for your masters or just cos you're a masochist who likes to write C++?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Masters but chose C/C++ for performance; lovely language :). I've learnt so so much from things which didn't go right, went a bit better, then thought about after it was too late to change them.

First port of call now is to get a job to fund my next project... as part of the Thesis I did an approximation of performance improvements I could do which ran into the order of ~1000x... So many ideas, so so little time! :(

Do note, all of the shader code is exposed if anyone wants to tinker with it... if you need any more variables parsed then I can add them too ;)

TdC

Masters but chose C/C++ for performance; lovely language :). I've learnt so so much from things which didn't go right, went a bit better, then thought about after it was too late to change them.

aye, I did some C in my first semester and loved it. C's just....right, you know :) my uni is heavily oriented towards Java and C# though 0o

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Which year are you in out of interest? I learnt C# in my first, Java in my second and C++ in my third years as primary languages. I do think the choice was correct; whilst C++ is fantastic for large applications, rapid development is better for C# and/or Java. It does also cut out a fair few more difficult concepts which can be picked up at a later date... being thrown in at the deep end kind of thing. C++ would work for some but not for many as an early language choice.

TdC

third. Currently doing a minor on "web technology" whatever that may be :)

My breakdown was like so: y1: Java, Java, more Java (but NO ide, modeling, etc). y2s1: C, threading C, networking C, all in Netbeans. No modeling, no explanations of patterns, nothing like that. y2s2: boom! Java, modeling, rapid dev, more modeling, PATTERNS (software/design), application servers, eclipse, online applications, IDEs with code generation, maven, ant, git, etc. Y3s1: SQL, SQL application generation, transactions, performance tuning, tonnes of modeling in different modeling expression languages (really messes with your head after a bit, that). Y3M: C#, ASP.NET MVC threads, networking, lots and lots of web stuff. Research paper. Essays.

when I type it out like that my school seems to be playing it fast and loose with a decent order. Ofc that may be my fault for the choice of class I did.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If you want I could draw up a best practise C++ check guide which I use for my own program? It stops me from missing things and has made the whole process a lot easier to manage.

TdC

ooh, that would be really nice of you! only if you have time for it though :)
badk to my proxy/load balancer I go...

kirennia

Part of the furniture
ooh, that would be really nice of you! only if you have time for it though :)
badk to my proxy/load balancer I go...

Will do it early next week as sadly, I'm quite busy until then but it will be done...

I MADE A PLANET
Do not be too proud of your technological awesomeness. The power the create a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

If you've got 3dsm, you can replace the 'BlankSun' and 'BlankSphere' .X files to make your own meshes in the program...just make sure they have a texture linked to them ;)

TdC

Will do it early next week as sadly, I'm quite busy until then but it will be done...
cheers bro :D

If you've got 3dsm, you can replace the 'BlankSun' and 'BlankSphere' .X files to make your own meshes in the program...just make sure they have a texture linked to them ;)

I feel someone will make a universe filled with bewbs soon!! :D

kirennia

Part of the furniture
www.tssengine.com/ExampleClass.zip

It's not a conclusive class but when I started writing it all I realised I didn't know exactly what was needed. Any more info I can add to it (If you want a .cpp file too), just let me know.

TdC

cheers dude! gearing up for some exams atm so I'm a bit harassed but will get back to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom