So you've decided to start over...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
My harddrive needs a bit of a "spring cleaning", after a few corrupt files, a few interesting notifications and such, i've decided to take the harddrive for a good old fashioned format.

Now, i've got all my original XP cd's and such, all programs whatnot needed for a fresh start, but apart from burning all the usual(winamp etc) on a cd to avoid the hazzle of D/L'ing it all, is there any way to store files when you're reinstalling your home?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
My harddrive needs a bit of a "spring cleaning", after a few corrupt files, a few interesting notifications and such, i've decided to take the harddrive for a good old fashioned format.

Now, i've got all my original XP cd's and such, all programs whatnot needed for a fresh start, but apart from burning all the usual(winamp etc) on a cd to avoid the hazzle of D/L'ing it all, is there any way to store files when you're reinstalling your home?

external hard drive? just make sure the files are all clean and wont be corrupted on the hd. if this isnt an option then maybe just burn the important/big files to cd/dvds or wire them to another computer on a LAN?

you could partition your hd and just keep somefiles but i'm not sure if this will make the formating kinda pointless.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, kinda figured that much.

Shucks...was hoping there was some new tech out there i hadn't heard of.

*sighs deep and starts moving stuff*

I hate this harddrive... :(

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, kinda figured that much.

Shucks...was hoping there was some new tech out there i hadn't heard of.

*sighs deep and starts moving stuff*

I hate this harddrive... :(

last time i did something similar, i'm pretty sure LAN was the quickest way if you have a laptop you could use i'd say do that.

cant think of anything else sorry, not heard of any new technology allowing for mass storage transfer any quicker or easier, but i'm sure it would be quiet expensive for the time being and probably not justifiable unless there is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE amount needed to transfer

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
last time i did something similar, i'm pretty sure LAN was the quickest way if you have a laptop you could use i'd say do that.

cant think of anything else sorry, not heard of any new technology allowing for mass storage transfer any quicker or easier, but i'm sure it would be quiet expensive for the time being and probably not justifiable unless there is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE amount needed to transfer

Yeah. There's some work stuff, CV, work samples and stuff like that. "vital" stuff so to speak, but luckily there's no 1gig animations or anything like that.

Only thing is that i'll be out of commission net wise for a good day(if not more) which is always a pain. But, it's worth it in the end i guess :D

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah. There's some work stuff, CV, work samples and stuff like that. "vital" stuff so to speak, but luckily there's no 1gig animations or anything like that.

Only thing is that i'll be out of commission net wise for a good day(if not more) which is always a pain. But, it's worth it in the end i guess :D

Make sure you create another partition when you rebuild, so you don't have to fuck about next time. :)

Gamah

Banned
Best way would be to copy all the files to a dvd/lan as an image with the file structure your using..then when you install just copy and paste :D

Comos

Loyal Freddie
Make sure you create another partition when you rebuild, so you don't have to fuck about next time. :)

Yeah what he said, make 2 partitions at least when you reinstall Windows.
For now you'll have to use a USB stick, external HDD, transfer over LAN to a shared folder or burn the files on CD/DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom