So what do you want to know?

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like there is still a great many questions being asked on these forums, as a loyal freddie I will be happy to answer your questions about the game as it stood at the end of the closed beta, so if you want to know something I will try to answer you as best I can.

Cheers

Lexa

Aada

Part of the furniture
Seems like there is still a great many questions being asked on these forums, as a loyal freddie I will be happy to answer your questions about the game as it stood at the end of the closed beta, so if you want to know something I will try to answer you as best I can.

Cheers

Lexa

At the end of the beta could you turn the graphics all the way up? as i hear in beta it was locked ?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
There were settings between: Fastest Framerate and Highest Quality but it controlled shadows and lighting mainly - things like Antialiasing weren't able to be changed (unless you set them on your graphics card). There also wasn't any control over the level of detail settings - as models get closer they become higher quality, you couldn't change at what distances this happened.

I'd expect a few more controls to be in for launch though.

One other thing you could control was spell effects - limit it to self, group, warband etc. to help reduce lag in big fights.

Aada

Part of the furniture
There were settings between: Fastest Framerate and Highest Quality but it controlled shadows and lighting mainly - things like Antialiasing weren't able to be changed (unless you set them on your graphics card). There also wasn't any control over the level of detail settings - as models get closer they become higher quality, you couldn't change at what distances this happened.

I'd expect a few more controls to be in for launch though.

One other thing you could control was spell effects - limit it to self, group, warband etc. to help reduce lag in big fights.

Nice thanks so we should expect slightly better optimisation for launch then?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Another question.

As a melee character if you get in range of a caster/ranged dps and start beating them down do you have a good chance of beating them?

I say this because in WoW if you start attacking a good hunter you would never ever get in range to do any kind of dps and he would just kite you until you die the class had so much utility to keep you at range in the end if you saw one it was best to leave them well alone.

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
At the lower levels you might have some trouble if you go head to head, but after lvls 12+ you get some skills. Plus it depends on what melee you choose.

Faya

JohnnyBoy555

Fledgling Freddie
Melee classes and in particular tanks, have a lot more about them than the meat shield role they filled in WoW. There are some nice knockback and spell interupts you can use to silence a caster. This should give you a better chance of closing without being nuked.

Legean

Fledgling Freddie
Are your stats capped like daoc or open like wow?

I believe there are soft caps, going beyond a certain value will become decreasingly effective. Theres no hard caps, you have to balance the different stats yourself.

Ardwan

Fledgling Freddie
Another question.

As a melee character if you get in range of a caster/ranged dps and start beating them down do you have a good chance of beating them?

I say this because in WoW if you start attacking a good hunter you would never ever get in range to do any kind of dps and he would just kite you until you die the class had so much utility to keep you at range in the end if you saw one it was best to leave them well alone.

Completely 50/50

If you're spotted by a caster from his max casting range, you're probably toast.
If you're already clubbing him by the time he sees you, you've probably won.

Everything else is purely down to what classes, what mastery lines, and skill level of players.

Most casting classes have a 5s root (with a chance to break if the target is attacked), and possibly some kind of knockback.
Most tanks have a root/disarm/etc breaking ability, and Silence and stun abilities.

It's all fairly balanced, but in the end it's unlikely you're gonna be fighting 1 on 1 without someone else interfering.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Completely 50/50

If you're spotted by a caster from his max casting range, you're probably toast.
If you're already clubbing him by the time he sees you, you've probably won.

Everything else is purely down to what classes, what mastery lines, and skill level of players.

Most casting classes have a 5s root (with a chance to break if the target is attacked), and possibly some kind of knockback.
Most tanks have a root/disarm/etc breaking ability, and Silence and stun abilities.

It's all fairly balanced, but in the end it's unlikely you're gonna be fighting 1 on 1 without someone else interfering.

I just really want to bury my weapon into some casters skull at the end of the day.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Melee won't have a problem getting into melee range, just requires a bit of strategy.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Melee won't have a problem getting into melee range, just requires a bit of strategy.

Melee DPS can also charge into range (well, WL can anyway) so mages have to be quick if they are gonna survive.

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
my experience was that heavy tanks, like chosen and ironbreakers, didnt die before getting to a caster
This is ofc average situation, a bad/unlucky player would die anyway
And even more importantly, the specs are important, some specs just dont work 1v1 and are more suitable to harras zergs (and so leech, like u could with a mana ment)

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
Tanks seem to have a much better chance in RvR than in Dark Age of Castalot. I am not sure about WoW, I barely remember it now, but I think I would agree with the 50/50 statement made earlier or possibly even a slight advantage to tanks, but slight.

The worst thing a tank could do in RvR is hesitate once in range, thinking 'can I survive or not if I run in'. Once in range get in there fast or be blasted into pieces.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
With WAR there's a lot less instadeath - even if you're spotted at long range by a caster and you need to run into range they'll take quite a while to kill you.

It's more a case of having enough HP left when you get to the caster to have time to kil them rather than dying before you get there...

A lot less having to react instantly or you die within half a second than daoc ;) Obviously reacting faster puts you ahead of your enemy, but there's a going to be a reasonable length of time to fight to use strategy and tactics other than "get the drop on them".

Ribbit

Fledgling Freddie
Are GOA going to have ingame customer support with WAR?

This IS very much the single most 'killer issue' for me, as it was far and away the main reason I cancelled DAoC with them and went to Mythic's servers (where tbh, the in game customer support was simply outstanding and one of the reasons I played the game so long - as well as having a full range of servers, brilliant server handling and game performance, a test server, and patches available instantly, of course).

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere as yet, am going to be starting again with GOA, am more than happy and prepared to give them 'another chance', and 'will not be a happy camper' if I have to end up cancelling to go back to Mythic hosted servers. :(

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

This IS very much the single most 'killer issue' for me, as it was far and away the main reason I cancelled DAoC with them and went to Mythic's servers (where tbh, the in game customer support was simply outstanding and one of the reasons I played the game so long - as well as having a full range of servers, brilliant server handling and game performance, a test server, and patches available instantly, of course).

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere as yet, am going to be starting again with GOA, am more than happy and prepared to give them 'another chance', and 'will not be a happy camper' if I have to end up cancelling to go back to Mythic hosted servers. :(

Yes. GOA are supposed to be providing 24/7 in-game customer support exactly the same as Mythic.

If they don't, it'll be the end for them as no-one will tollerate anything less than the same customer suppoert as the US this time around.

Ribbit

Fledgling Freddie
Yes. GOA are supposed to be providing 24/7 in-game customer support exactly the same as Mythic.

If they don't, it'll be the end for them as no-one will tollerate anything less than the same customer suppoert as the US this time around.

Faints with delight! :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Tallen! :worthy:

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie

It's the single massively quoted reason why they moved the support team to Ireland to get around the French labour laws so they can have people in place 24/7. This was agreed years ago when GOA signed the contract with Mythic to provide the game in EU.

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
Well i remember DaoC having a Cs looking in now and then, but nowhere near 24/7, i hope this changes in WAR.

Faya

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom