So my old trusty computer finally caved in....

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
and melted on me.

so i went and bought a new CPU, Mainboard and power supply.

got it all sorted apart from one thing, its kinda sluggish and i cant disable the built in sound card co i cant run on the one i had before (tho i'm not sure its any better)

right, CPU is a AMD athlon 3200+ and the mainboard is a Gigabyte K8 triton something something >.<

now i know none of it is any high end stuff but it should be atleast a tad better then my old shit.

mind i didnt do any reformat on the HD's as it seems to be working anyway, and i have far much "important" stuff on there i dont wanna get rid of and that isnt important enough to waste 14 dvd's on >.<

sooo, anyway. from this awsomly precise explanation, (lol) anyone have any idea what i could do to get rid of my sluggishness when i'm playing? its not *really* bad, its just bad enough to get noticed and its annoying ;)

Twist

Fledgling Freddie
For a new build I would always reinstall windows from scratch. Don't worry about the HD's used just for storage, but deffo reformat the one with the OS on it imo

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Twist said:
For a new build I would always reinstall windows from scratch. Don't worry about the HD's used just for storage, but deffo reformat the one with the OS on it imo

ah crap... guess its inevitable :(

was hoping someone had any super duper remedy here :(

man i hate reinstalls :( i *always* forget to save something i should have, and then have to spend days and days to search for it again :/

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
new motherboard should always = new windows install...sorry, but its inevitable if you want it all runnin smooth n perfect.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Did you install drivers for chipsets etc ?
Problems sounds a bit like the ones you can have before installing them (VIA 4in1 etc) ?

A fresh install is recommended, but unless you already installed all drivers you can at least try that first ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Krakatau said:
Did you install drivers for chipsets etc ?
Problems sounds a bit like the ones you can have before installing them (VIA 4in1 etc) ?

*cough* no i havent... :p

gonna try that i think :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
so this is the list from the CD that came with the mainboard...

nVidia system driver

AMD cool 'n quiet CPU driver

Marvell 10/100/1000 base LAN driver

Realtek AC97 codec driver

nVidia USB 2.0 driver

nVidia IDE driver (this one?)

only thing i can see thats even remnotly close is the last one...

or maybe not...

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Ctuchik said:
so this is the list from the CD that came with the mainboard...

nVidia system driver

AMD cool 'n quiet CPU driver

Marvell 10/100/1000 base LAN driver

Realtek AC97 codec driver

nVidia USB 2.0 driver

nVidia IDE driver (this one?)

only thing i can see thats even remnotly close is the last one...

or maybe not...
Install everything else but AMD cool 'n Quiet if you haven't already.

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
If you want to disable you onboard soundcard go into your bios setting there should be a option to do it, if not read the user manual that came with the mommyboard. You could allso install a optional soundcard and leave the onboard card enabled. You just need to select your defoult output and input in the config screen under sound settings. (verry usefull to plat DJ with your pc :) )

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well, got it running smooth now :) installing the drivers from the CD acually worked ;)

should read the manuals the next time i buy stuff like this next time :)

still cant make my other soundcard to work tho.. :/ bet i fried that aswell :(

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
still cant make my other soundcard to work tho.. :/ bet i fried that aswell :(

The built-in soundcard can most likely be simply disabled in the BIOS. The Realtek AC97 codec drivers are for your onboard soundcard, so make sure these are not installed either, before you install the drivers for your soundcard.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Twist said:
Yes, always. And as Equador said, it should be easy to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom