So my dads girlfriend gave me a lapdance...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
And because he just LOVES to torment me it has a fresh install of windows XP on it and i don't have a newer OS to replace it with..

Now i wanna get it connected to the internet and the FUCKING THING WON'T COOPERATE!

I connect through an ethernet cable that requires no password or anything, basically ticking the "configure internet settings automatically" should work, but apparently because i have another computer connected through the same router it doesn't and the laptop is telling me that i need to connect through my other PC first. But i don't want to do that..

Help! :(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
No never mind. Stupid default IE was the culprit. installed chrome from a USB stick and now it's working.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
No he formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP not using the recovery disc that came with it because he'd lost it..

Leaving me with a half working laptop and no real way of getting any of the drivers updated because HP's driver support page is of no help. When i try to find the laptop using it's model number they list over 20 different ones. And i can't tell which is the one i have.. Hell i can't even tell if mine is listed there at all..

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Yep I agree with @ECA drop Mint on it, really nice OS. I did the same with a spare laptop I have just for tinkering on and really like it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Or, depending on its specs, a lighter weight flavour like Xubuntu. I put it on my 10 year old VAIO and it absolutely flies.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Not me, I can't fiddle in this area. Made me laugh though :D

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Or, depending on its specs, a lighter weight flavour like Xubuntu. I put it on my 10 year old VAIO and it absolutely flies.
Xubuntu is fugleh.

If the machine is a bit crusty and you need the speed boost of of a lightweight distro but without barrels of ugly then try PeppermintOS 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom