So my brand new PC is fucking with me...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Up until last night everything were fine and dandy, no problems what so ever.

Today i booted up no problem. The PC were as fine as the day i got it but a bout an hour ago the PC started to freeze for about half a minute. It's happened 4 times so far and i can not for the life of me figure out wtf is going on.

The only thing i did today prior to this starting was install WoW again. But that surely can't be the cause for this.

Nothing is overheating, nothing is taking abnormally much system resources. It just decides to freeze for whatever reason..

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Update drivers, particularly SSD ( you need windows install on 2nd hdd to be able to do this ).

Kryten

Old Cow.
I had this for a long time and it turned out to be a compatibility issue between my recently purchased motherboard (MSI Z77) and ram (Corsair DDR3). Swapped the ram and problem solved. Replaced everything else from graphics card to power supply, SSD etc before finding that out (replaced for reasons other than this problem)

Memtest did not show any problems either. Might be worth swapping RAM slots maybe.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Most motherboards have a list of compatible RAM I never paid much attention to it but I will now.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Most motherboards have a list of compatible RAM I never paid much attention to it but I will now.
I wouldn't start now either, had a bit of bother with my rig when I first made it. My RAM was compatible and I kept having bother (I do think it was faulty mind), swapped it for some not on the compatible list, haven't had any bother yet.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yeah ok so apparently it was because of utorrent.

I figured i'd start closing all the background programs to see what happens, and the PC froze again when i closed that. And has not had any issues since..

Still odd though how it froze up right out of the blue like that. On my old PC i'd at least get some form of warning before it started to act up, but not on this...

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I refuse to use uTorrent now. Takes forever to start properly for some reason and the downloads are slow compared to what they used to be. I use ThunderMod now. Port 80 torrent program, awesome sauce.

Athan

Resident Freddy
I'd wonder if you have a bad NIC or driver for it. Torrenting can put out a Whole Lotta Packets (relatively speaking) even when not using much bandwidth overall. Certainly worth checking you have the latest driver, if not install the latest... and if you do already have the latest see if Microsoft recommends a different one (by removing it, rebooting, and letting Windows Update find one for you).

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
uTorrent is awful. Use Transmission.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still use Azeureus/Vuze... works fine for me.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Transmission might rule the roost in OSX but the QT port seems to only just function under Windows.

Once you get rid of all the bullshit UI additions and ads in utorrent it's simply the best Windows client around. The web UI is infinitely better, also.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't use OSX.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I didn't say you did, I just know it's the torrent client of choice on OSX (I don't know how it compares in other Unix-ish OSes). Not on Windows, though (which the OP is clearly running).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
transmission is ace. just make sure you have a decent blocklist and all is sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom