Misc So... London

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Like title says, London!!!

I'm down here till next Friday, so hit me with advice on things to see/do over the weekend. Go freddies, go !!!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Do the Tower of London tour, it's fantastic. Westminster Palace tour is also good.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
That cool narrow side street from Harry Potter, it is real isn't it?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Go to Borough Market, have a mooch around, eat, visit the Golden Hinde & Southwark Cathedral. Nearest station: London Bridge

Go eat at E&O's in Notting Hill

Pop to Camden Lock / Camden Market / Stables Market: Chalk Farm Road / Camden High Street

Walk up and down Tottenham Court Road with a pocket full of cash, and haggle for electronics. You'll get amazing deals on TVs / laptops etc

Walk around Covent Garden in the day, and Soho in the evening. Try Shoreditch for late night drinking / clubbing.

Go to the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum.

Walk around St James's Park and drool over the Bugatti Veyrons in the Bentley Showroom on Berkeley Square

Go up the Shard

Walk along the southbank of the Thames & go on the London Eye

Eat at La Porte des Indes for the best Indian food (take lots of money!)

Run around the Apple store naked shouting "All your apples are rotten, Android pwns you". Then hire a good attorney.

Buy Time Out magazine

Stay away from my house. I'm making a new experimental curry this weekend. Its probably explosive and the fumes toxic.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Turn around and flee.

Don't bother talking to anyone unless you like being grunted at.

Wear surgical gloves.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Natural History & Science museums are a bit out of date now imo. There are better museums (Imperial War in Lambeth, the V&A opposite the Science, and of course the best museum in the history of the world, The British.)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Visit Deebs at work, then steal his wallet

rynnor

Rockhound
I like to wander from St James Park to Westminster and then pick up a river boat to Greenwich (great trip - the Thames goes by most of the impressive buildings in London) then wander round Greenwich/visit the ship there and the Royal Observatory. Makes a great afternoon/day trip.

Edit: Adult Return Trip £15.50 or £19 for an all day rover ticket where you can get on and off as much as you like.

Leaves Westminster 15 and 45 minutes past the hour - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/river-tt-westminster-londoneye-tower-greenwich.pdf

Last edited:

Chilly

Balls of steel
Ah, maybe it was the family fee I was looking at. Still rip-off Britain, it was free to go up the Petronas.
Rip off britain? You build a multi billion pound building and let people go up it for free, then.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Rip off britain? You build a multi billion pound building and let people go up it for free, then.

So what did the Petronas Towers cost then? A Twix and an Orange? Like I said, free to go up. The Shard won't be relying on sightseers to make a crust (at least I hope not).

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
25 quid to go up the smallest tall building in the world...no thanks.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
And there I was thinking the phrase "taking the girl-friend / wife up the Shard" was a newly coined euphemism.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
And there I was thinking the phrase "taking the girl-friend / wife up the Shard" was a newly coined euphemism.

Nah - that's the Oxo tower :)

old.Osy

Yesterday we went down from Maida Vale with a bus to Marble Arch, where there was some maintenance being done. We then took another bus, which abandoned us before Buckingham gardens, as the driver told us he's not going anywhere Victoria, so we walked down on Grosvenor, turned left twice, ended up on Birdcage Walk next to St James Park.

We fed some squirrels there, the gf was very impressed and happy about it. Carried on towards the London Eye, spent some time in the Zen cafe there, then went up the Eye. Being the careless and stupid character that I am, at the security check the guy with the green vest and metal detector asked me if I have any knives, scissors - I replied "No, but I have a gun in my backpocket.", jokingly. He took a serious pause, realized I was just mocking about, then proceeded to lecture me on how I should never say that to a policeman in the UK, and that by right he could have me on the floor, cuffed and carried out for questioning.

He was right, I apologized and off we went. Wonderful views, didn't know people are so little, etc, yada yada.

By the time we got off the Eye, dark was settling in, so we went across to Westminster tube and went back to the hotel.

Monday to Friday were uneventful, as we're here for work, so all we do is ride the tube to Paddington, then pick up a train to the west, and head back in the evening. On Thursday we went to this Mexican place called Wahaca, about Covent Garden. I had some Pacifico Clara cerveza, it was pretty decent, so I had 3 or 4. Food wasn't that great for me, but then again I don't eat spicy food ever.

Ugh, wall of text.

old.Osy

Nah, offices are in Theale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom