So it IS possible to decluster should the need arise?

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
I thought GoA had stated it wasn't possible to decluster the servers should the need arise in the future? Yesterdays GrabBag from Mythic suggests otherwise: http://www.camelotherald.com/more/2113.shtml

Not that I want them to declustered (especially before we even get a cluster!) however I know a number of people had concerns at the time of the poll about clustering :D

Sanya said:
Q: Is de-clustering something that Mythic has planned for?

A: Yep. That's why servers aren't merged, but rather, clustered. If the situation called for it, we could break them back apart without more than a day of downtime. Some of the changes we're currently discussing (in response to feedback asking for some player-friendly features on the clusters) might make breaking the clusters apart a little more challenging, but it could still be done.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
intresting :)

not that it will ever happend tho but still intresting.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
They are about to cluster more servers in the US because everyone went to the classic servers. :p Gonna be fun when the rush calms down and everyone goes back to the real servers.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
They wont. Why would they? Theres nothing new on the classic servers, people went there because TOA is shit

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Earl said:
They wont. Why would they? Theres nothing new on the classic servers, people went there because TOA is shit
You say as if it's a fact, where it's only an opinion.

I like TOA. :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
people went there because they don't like buffbots or because they're new and shiny servers.

pretty simple.

After servers have been clustered though, de-clustering will be very disruptive - people will have made friends/regular groups or whatever with the other server people, then boom not able to play together any more.

So it sounds like it's technically possible but it's probably even more disruptive than clustering in the first place.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Or because there are plenty of xp grps, or because they won't get ganked by high RR groups, or because they have the highest population, or because they don't know what will happen, and they don't want to be the last to move. Not long ago 2 servers were constantly full, one had more than 50% of the maximum allowed population. Now all classic servers have far less active players already. Lots thought they will have a good chance on classic servers with just 1 account, but when they learning, they will need 2 for PL purposes, etc. they will have even more reasons to go back to the normal servers :)

A

Aoln

GOA will just claim about mythic and GOA servers being different, the fact remains that GOA are just crap :(

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Aoln said:
GOA will just claim about mythic and GOA servers being different, the fact remains that GOA are just crap :(
This anti-goa whine is getting old now.
If you don't like it.. sod off to the other side, or stop whining.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
As you know GOA doesn't have log in polls, /appeal, etc. so the servers are different, but it shouldn't prevent declustering, the problem lies elsewhere: Since no need for an actual decluster procedure or the needed tools Mythic won't develop them for most versions, but they are happy with knowing: They can make some if they need it. GOA on the other hand can't do that :)

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
The problem with Declustering is that Goa probably going to take the spare computers they get after clustering and use it for something else. Then if Declustering is needed they will need to buy new comps and thats not going to happen for this old game.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Esselinithia said:
As you know GOA doesn't have log in polls, /appeal, etc. so the servers are different, but it shouldn't prevent declustering, the problem lies elsewhere: Since no need for an actual decluster procedure or the needed tools Mythic won't develop them for most versions, but they are happy with knowing: They can make some if they need it. GOA on the other hand can't do that :)

GOA probably CAN make those tools. the problem is that they are not ALLOWED to by mythic :) THEY do the coding. GOA just leases the rights to run the servers here in europe and thats pretty much all they have the rights to do..

anything beyond that have to be done by mythic, hell GOA cant even implement the events they have been running in the past years. Mythic is implementing them into patches and then send it to GOA for implementation into the game. or something like that... :m00:

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
This anti-goa whine is getting old now.
If you don't like it.. sod off to the other side, or stop whining.

No you don't understand ... u c ... Aoln has made 1. Lots of arpees 2. at least one pwn movie and 3. One funny movie ...

Hence he has the right to say whatever he wants and regardless of how dumb or unfounded it will be (in this case because Mythic said it would be non reversable... and therefor GOA (assuming Mythic knew what they were talking about) told this to their customers) it will be respected by everybody.. or else his mighty irc/guild buddies will come pwn us all :(

Imon

Fledgling Freddie
Shanaia said:
No you don't understand ... u c ... Aoln has made 1. Lots of arpees 2. at least one pwn movie and 3. One funny movie ...

Hence he has the right to say whatever he wants and regardless of how dumb or unfounded it will be (in this case because Mythic said it would be non reversable... and therefor GOA (assuming Mythic knew what they were talking about) told this to their customers) it will be respected by everybody.. or else his mighty irc/guild buddies will come pwn us all :(

lol!

Syri

FH is my second home
Aloca said:
The problem with Declustering is that Goa probably going to take the spare computers they get after clustering and use it for something else. Then if Declustering is needed they will need to buy new comps and thats not going to happen for this old game.
nope... clustering is not merging, it's linking the existing servers together. so it still has the same amount of servers, still the same number in use, just that you now have some that don't carry as much zone information as they did. Mythic have said that the server layout is fully reversable in a day, or less, which would require the redundant zones to still be active, just not linked up. And as the code can't differ too much (though you wouldn't guess from the time between patches sometimes) the principal layout of the servers at least would be the same, as it's a major job to re-code it to treat different zones as being part of a different physical box, what with controlling item handling, players moving from 1 box to the other and so on

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
<<They are about to cluster more servers in the US because everyone went to the classic servers. Gonna be fun when the rush calms down and everyone goes back to the real servers.>>

Clustering the servers was already a topic prior to the launch of classic servers, numbers were already well down on what they were when clusters were first created.

The new servers have given a boost to the numbers; now the gradual decline seems to have set in once more. Interestingly there doesn't seem to have been any fall off in European numbers - fluctuations yes but overall steady which suggests that the number of Europeans who have moved to the new US servers is small or that they are still playing Europe as well. Most probable explanation imo.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
I prefer beef over chicken.
Brill butcher in Camelot City, give him a lil wink and he'll get you some really tasty beef ribs. :p

I quite like ToA tbh, gave more to do in the game, keeps me busy. :)

Flimgoblin: you mentioned people wanting to go to Classic Servers because of no bots, yet I hear and see screenies of people using buff potions, charges and many people playing self buff classes, can't they give up the buff advantage after so much whining to get rid of it?

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Now they can wtfpwn anything that isn't buffed with their vamps, friars or shamans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom