so is this game worth it?

O

old.m0000

As many of you know, since a lot of you seem to be ex-daoc, I play daoc currently - yeah it gets boring but ive just been away for 2.5 months at uni - so right now it aint so boring.

But whats this game people keep going on about. I have to admit i was never a fan of the old single player FF series, i found them boring and stilted, plus i dont really like japanamation. But, it is a new mmorpg that people seem to be flocking to at the moment despite the lack of pvp (aparently it's coming?) - or ability to customize you're characters appearance or skills.

So why are people playing it?
What do YOU like about it ?
what potential do YOU see?

I'm interested in any answers.
Thanks.

R

Restart

I'm playing cause a friend payed £50 for it and gave it to me :D

N

)nick(

Me and steph have both playing on bismarck for a couple of days now.

I'm not entirely sold, yet. The interface is the main obstacle for me and getting used to not having RVR to look forward to at the end of it all. I do enjoy the questing/missions in comparison to daoc's quests. The world seems more alive which in turn makes you want to play more.

It is extremely confusing to begin with and a lot of advancements that have taken place in other MMORPGs haven't filtered over to FFXI yet. There are also a lot of unnecessary timesinks which can be frustrating.

I have yet to experience grouping and am put off by it because of the terrible interface. It feels like you're having to do a lot of extra work just to be able to get the same kind of response from your character as you would be used to in DAOC.

A few minor gripes are:

* Playonline, some kind of PS2 browser which you have to go through each time you want to play the game.
* Registration process, takes roughly 4 hours to start playing.
* Slow connection to the servers, 300-400ms response time on average to japan doesn't sound bad but when you're used to 20-30ms to daoc it is very sluggish especially when you're battling with the interface at the same time.
* Lack of character customization, as this is a PS2 game the polycount is a lot higher whereas the texture quality/variation is lower than the current crop of MMORPGs.

I'd say DAOC is Quakeworld and FFXI is CS.

B

baragh

I played daoc and now i play ffo and i have to say ffo is better suited for me. I am still a newbie so maybe my perceptions are only based on the starting part of the game.

The difference for me is that this game seems to have a much more relaxed feel to it. Since there is no pvp yet there are less "uber-minded" people and you feel you can take your time. There are lots of diversions from the normal level grind like all kinds of crafting, harvesting and fishing (!). Sometimes i can just spend a couple of hours at the AH (Auction House, some kind of user-driven bazar) just shopping around.

Other highpoints:
- Lively cities
- Really grand and pretty landscapes (i was used to hibernia...)
- Fighting look way more interesting
- Character models, equipment look great
- Really cool quests and missions that let you feel like you are a hero
- Change jobs (character class) whenever you feel like it
- Classes seem balanced (but no pvp so who knows for sure)

If you like more competitive play i would stick with daoc tho. But pve is miles better than daoc.

E

ECA

Originally posted by old.m0000
As many of you know, since a lot of you seem to be ex-daoc, I play daoc currently - yeah it gets boring but ive just been away for 2.5 months at uni - so right now it aint so boring.

But whats this game people keep going on about. I have to admit i was never a fan of the old single player FF series, i found them boring and stilted, plus i dont really like japanamation. But, it is a new mmorpg that people seem to be flocking to at the moment despite the lack of pvp (aparently it's coming?) - or ability to customize you're characters appearance or skills.

So why are people playing it?
What do YOU like about it ?
what potential do YOU see?

I'm interested in any answers.
Thanks.

I thought single player FF sucked as well.

I found it fun to get to lvl 5...then i was bored as fuck...carried on to level 10...got a group in tahrongi...had fun!

Its been fun since, if you want to take a break from levelling you can do quests in every city and a few in most ports.

Its also a lot of fun getting some friends together and going on treasure runs :-]

Same with missions :-]

R

Restart

If you wanna do quests in every city, then you need lvl 20 + chocobo license, cause running everywhere not just boring, but fairly dangerous.

O

old.m0000

Originally posted by Restart
If you wanna do quests in every city, then you need lvl 20 + chocobo license, cause running everywhere not just boring, but fairly dangerous.
i see you've got a theif?

can you actually steal from people? :p

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by old.m0000
i see you've got a theif?

can you actually steal from people? :p
Remember, this is a cooperative game.

You can steal from monsters, not players.

Users who are viewing this thread