Misc So, Hyperloop...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
...Genius idea or load of old bollocks? Discuss...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Dunno, but the idea of having a safe way of paying for stuff online seems pretty outrageous, as does a company that solely creates electric cars, as does a company that manufactures space rocket parts...

I think this fella is the future.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Something like a mass transit system that goes really fast between SF and LA from what i have seen.

In the earth quake capital of the western world .. hmm im not to sure. I dont like the idea of the BART going under the bay there let along something longer.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Firing hipsters through a tube at mach 1. The only problem I see is that the tube doesn't end suddenly somewhere random.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The thought of travelling in a small tube at 780 mph sounds quite fun, would be great if they could make is see through.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Genius idea if they can pull it off. He's dead right about regression of technology as well, it's a bit pants that Concorde went and we still don't have anything supersonic to replace it.

DaGaffer

Personally I think its an intriguing idea, but California is pretty much the last place on Earth you'd build it. I also think the biggest issue with building it isn't the actual construction, it will be the maintenance.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Genius idea if they can pull it off. He's dead right about regression of technology as well, it's a bit pants that Concorde went and we still don't have anything supersonic to replace it.
Fuel prices and greenpeace cunts moaning about noise/pollution. Simple as.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I think the hyperloop is an awesome idea. However, the reliability has to be absolutely tip top as the next best alternative takes WAY longer. so you wont be half an hour late for work if the loop is down, you'll arrive after it finishes.

rynnor

Rockhound
Personally I think its an intriguing idea, but California is pretty much the last place on Earth you'd build it. I also think the biggest issue with building it isn't the actual construction, it will be the maintenance.

Yes - earthquakes damaging the tube your transiting or simply cutting the power to the magnets that stop capsules ploughing into the walls of the tube.

Isn't this just a Japanese bullet train in a near vacuumn tube though?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ah ok, i say good. Sure there's potential for disaster, butif we used that as an excuse then we'd advance nowhere.

Bad things also make things advance, such as wars and disasters progressing tech.

DaGaffer

I think the hyperloop is an awesome idea. However, the reliability has to be absolutely tip top as the next best alternative takes WAY longer. so you wont be half an hour late for work if the loop is down, you'll arrive after it finishes.

This is what I was getting at re: maintenance. Personally I reckon you'd probably need 3 loops to give it the resilience you'd need.

Ah - here we are - maglev in a vacuum tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube_train

Edit - Theoretical speeds 4-5000 mph - mmmm

Apparently he's not talking about a vacuum - too hard - rather a reduced air pressure environment that's just enough to fend off the speed of sound, which is kind of elegant.

Chilly

Balls of steel
This is what I was getting at re: maintenance. Personally I reckon you'd probably need 3 loops to give it the resilience you'd need.

Apparently he's not talking about a vacuum - too hard - rather a reduced air pressure environment that's just enough to fend off the speed of sound, which is kind of elegant.
Maintaining a hard vacuum in such a large volume would be pretty much impossible. You'd consume insane amounts of power trying to keep up with the 500,000,000 leaks.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just sounds like a bullet train stuffed in a smarties tube to me, and its boggling why no one else has tried it yet.. clearly there are some issues which arent worth risking human life over or i'm sure either the Japanese or other sources in the USA would have already made it by now. Sounds great on paper but then again so does a hover car or a skateboard that can float.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's what I was thinking nine months before my birth.

You wanted your dad to have a see-through cock? What, so you could see the inside of your mum's minge better??!

rynnor

Rockhound

That was mentioned in the wiki page I posted 'However, without major advances in tunnelling and other technology, vactrains would be prohibitively expensive. Alternatives such as elevated concrete tubes with partial vacuums have been proposed to reduce costs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom