So Dissapointed

T

Turamber

Just been reading (and spamming) the official boards. The FOTM nerf appears to be the magrider now, lots of posts how it has driven down people on different continents, killed unborn children and is responsible for poverty in the 3rd world.

And how does Spork (Sony representative on the board) reply? By saying they have some ideas on how to cut down on the mag's anti-infantry role.

This game is getting old fast. By bowing to the intense 'nerf the lasher!!!' calls they've created a monster -- now people can get anything nerfed by moaning loudly enough about it.

I feel confident that if anyone spent a week playing as the Vanu they wouldn't feel overpowered or uber. So why ruin there decent equipment?

At this rate they should just make all stuff common pool, as I have said before.

Anyway this game is getting dull fast, nerf bats don't make for an enjoyable gaming experience imho.

R

r00tz

Originally posted by Turamber
By bowing to the intense 'nerf the lasher!!!' calls they've created a monster -- now people can get anything nerfed by moaning loudly enough about it.

Sounds just like DAoC :D

E

Esoteric

I have driven the vanguard and the prowler they both kill people just as easily and they have exploding shells, vanu actually have to hit the target with our main turret to kill anything and because of this we get a slightly more agile machine that isn't actually that easy to drive. For gods sake get a grip.

If anymore flaming vanu nurfs go live (other than the lasher one and they better be careful about that one) Im off back to daoc.

J

Jonaldo

Vanu knife is too powerful, give them a spoon imo. Preferably one of those white plastic bendy ones.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Esoteric
I have driven the vanguard and the prowler they both kill people just as easily and they have exploding shells, vanu actually have to hit the target with our main turret to kill anything and because of this we get a slightly more agile machine that isn't actually that easy to drive. For gods sake get a grip.

If anymore flaming vanu nurfs go live (other than the lasher one and they better be careful about that one) Im off back to daoc.

The magriders "clip" does need attention, but this would be for the benefit of all 3 factions, from what i can gather magrider pilots get mega grief from running over their own team mates when they are not even near them.

Imo, this is all that needs sorting on the mag. Nerfing it is daft.

P

[PS] Glaive

First off I've been in all three heavy tanks and in my opinion they all matched up the same. However the hit detection on the mag needs sorting out, i've been hit quite a few times by a mag that has been no where near me(I play VS).

But the
By saying they have some ideas on how to cut down on the mag's anti-infantry role.
worries me quite a bit.

and last off it's a tank is should go through infantry (if they don't have the right weapons) like their not there because its a tank thats what they do.

P

[PS]Venom

Hrm don't jump to rumour and speculation.

Along with everything else, the Magrider is under continual evaluation. Of course, it is higher on the priority queue, due to its "Hot Topic" status.
The oddity of the Magrider is that, as far as code and hitbox go, it should not be any more effective at mowing down enemies than anything else. Its strafing capabilities, combined with client-side hit detection and lag are proably the main factor in Magrider feedback. There are some possibilities we're looking at for making it less of an issue.

Victor Wachter
Community Relations Representative
Many questions can be answered by reading the PlanetSide Game Info and FAQ

Nothing has definatly been said. They may alter it's ability to mow people down, but having driven a vanguard and a magrider, it seems far far easier to break people with a mag than a van. It's possibly a good change.

Nothing has been said about altering weaponry.

T

The_Sheriff

Originally posted by Turamber
This game is getting old fast. By bowing to the intense 'nerf the lasher!!!' calls they've created a monster -- now people can get anything nerfed by moaning loudly enough about it.

Anyway this game is getting dull fast, nerf bats don't make for an enjoyable gaming experience imho.
I saw this coming a while ago which is why I dropped out.
I don't think I'll come back to it either.
It had potential, it got ruined. END.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Turamber is talking slight bull-kacka... :p

Magrider hitbox definitely deserves to be looked at - and what Venom said.
Don't jump to rumor and speculation.

Now flame me, old man. :D

T

Turamber

Where exactly did I say it's weapons were being nerfed?

The mag is fine as it is -- this knee jerk response to the latest FOTM whines is pathetic.

F

Faeldawn

There are those who might say that the mag needs sorting as it can be used effectively as a one-man vehicle, whereas the other tanks need 2 or 3 players to function.

Sure its better with 2 crew, but with 1 it works v well. Prolly why seeing a Thresher is like spotting a lesser-spotted-twiddler ;)

S

shilak

The only change that needs to be made that would affect the Magrider is the code concerning vehicles coliding with troops. Best suggestion I saw was to have infantry take 50% health loss and be thrown to the side of the vehicle, and have all vehicles take significant damage from running over a MAX.

At the moment it seems somewhat unrealistic that a troop can jump from the top of a four story building and take minimal damage or can take a huge missile in the face and survive, yet is unable to withstand a vehicle impact at 60-80kph (approx 35-50mph) whilst weapon high tech armour, not to mention that most vehicle impacts in PS are probably side on or glancing in the first place.

M

Milkshake

If you play TR or NC, Magriders are your bane.

I mean, ok, you get run over by vehicles, but the Mag you can't escape from...you get run over from MILES away. I mean, seriously, you can be behind trees, and you get run over by Mags that are at least 20m-40m away.

It's all bullshit :/

P

[PS]Venom

From a post made today by spork :)

SporkfirePS
Developer posted 08-07-2003 11:38 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've done our due diligence on the Magrider, checking to make sure its hitbox is appropriate. It is. Every now and then, the programmers and designers get a 'are you sure...?' email from me. They look at the properties and yes, they are sure.
It's largely a latency issue, combined with the Magrider's strafing capability. We're considering the problems that the public have with the Magrider, but we don't feel they have anything to do with the hitbox.

Victor Wachter
Community Relations Representative
Many questions can be answered by reading the PlanetSide Game Info and FAQ

Hehehe he's basically saying with that statement everyone's talking bollocks. In a subtle way. That can be interperated.

S

shilak

Although knowing the way the seem to address these 'issues', they will probably remove the straffing ability as that is part of the reason the Magrider is so effective at squashing infantry ;)

T

Turamber

The magrider is fine. This is supposed to be a war game, not a cheesy shoot-em up. If people get hit by a tank they should die - just as they would in real life.

The vanguard and the magrider are very well balanced against each other. Where one has excellent firepower the other has the ability to strafe and go across water.

If grunts are being squashed out in the open they should - *shock* - consider getting their own vehicle certs or using squad transport vehicles.

AV weaponry is very effective against the magrider - and a one man magmower is easily taken out by any tank or aircraft. This is balance -- grunts wanting to be stronger than tanks is not.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

The Magriders is fine - I don't see any point in having everything common pool.

It's the fucking 5 square mile hitbox that pisses me off.

Oh... and nerf the fucking lasher. The thing is just plain, old unfair.

G

Gabrial

Ive never been killed by a mag rider behind a tree or anything like that.

In fact, I've been skimmed by them and lived no probs so it seems the problem is slightly random and possibly not just hit box related.

W

Will

Its more to do with the client-side hit detection than the hitboxes. If they made hit detection server-side, you'd know why MMO and FPS have never been put together before.;)

O

old.ViscountCharles

Client-side hit detection and the Mag's ability to strafe (and strafing was the trade-off for poorer armour and a weaker gun than the other MBTs).

But its no worse than any other tank. The real issue is that drivers are only gettiing XP when THEY score the kill - which means running people over - and good gunners can be hard to find as a random pick-up.

P

[PS]Nova

This is why I never have a random-pickup gunner.

If I can't get a gunner in my squad, I would rather go alone. (Or not get a tank, which it usually ends up as :p)

S

shilak

An alternative would be if they got both the driver and the victim's clients to check if a hit was scored, if both clients disagree then the victim should not die.

Its not really the magrider that is at fault, its more like the whole issue of vehicles hitting troops. Even in my Lightning I run infantry over for a significant percentage of my kills (approx 30-40% I reckon), but at least I take a little damage from doing it so actually have to take the time to go and repair from time to time.

S

Spinky

Piffle, everyone knows threshers are sooo much more fun, i mean, threshers, they rock, I wanna be vs to drive em, or gifv NC a thresher, or lemme loot threshers and put them in meh garage, or make some arrangement with Turamber to get a steady supply of Threshers

/ponders

S

Sarum TheBlack

Magriders DO take damage from running people over.. they have a lot more health than a lightning though. (That’s why if you get run over by a friendly mag, you get grief for it, since you damaged the tank)

Both clients would never agree on anything, other than in a very rare minority of cases.. they're usually around half a second (at least) apart in where they think everyone is. You're also seriously upping your bandwidth load by forcing everyone to negotiate hit detection constantly.. thereby only making lag worse.

They made a decision to go with the attackers client with hit detection.. if the driver thinks he hit you, you got it. If a soldier thinks he shot you, you got shot. Regardless of where you thought you were in both situations. It's really the only fair way.. can't force the everyone to second guess the lag in order to score a kill.

And for the 10000th time, the hitbox is the right size.. if it wasn't drivers would notice they were hitting trees they thought they'd missed. I very much doubt there are separate hitboxes for scenery and player collisions.. and especially doubt one is a lot bigger than the other. So the hitbox CANNOT glide though trees and walls and whatever else you thought you were hiding behind.. that's just not how they work.

If I ever run anyone over in a mag, I did hit them.. they might not have thought I did, but from my point of view I hit them good and proper with my prow. I've missed infantry by a hairs width more times than I can count, and they've never died. Hitbox is fine, Magrider drivers on 56K is your problem. :p

P

[PS]Nova

Would have to agree. There have been a number of times I've missed people by only a little, or they have managed to hide behind trees or even dodge me on occasion.

Although it can be extremely annoying I'm sure, I honestly don't think there's another way it can be done - unless we stop people being able to be run over at all, in which case you will see the silly situation of a tank being hemmed in by infantry and killed because it can't move/manoeuvre :)

Users who are viewing this thread