Help Small favour

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
...Just a quick one, can one of you guys in the UK just go on to the Google Play store and take a screen grab of the Nexus 7 4G product detail page for me and post it here or PM me? I can't see it from over here and I need to take a look (me Ma was going to get me one from the US but Best Buy etc. won't sell her one without an AT&T or Sprint SIM).

Thanks

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
LvAEj3e.png

Think that's what you wanted Gaff, if its not let me know

DaGaffer

Sorry guys, should have been clearer, could you include the price details? ta.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The 32 GB version is what, half the price of an ipad?

Apple could stick a logo on a dog poo, spray it white, price it at £900, and people would Q up for it for days

DaGaffer

The 32 GB version is what, half the price of an ipad?

Apple could stick a logo on a dog poo, spray it white, price it at £900, and people would Q up for it for days

I'm not sure that's true any more. We've definitely reached a tipping point; for increasing numbers of people Apple is longer the only choice. The next real tipping point will be more about how people use their tabs and phones, not what they're using; there are now more Android devices than iOS, but people use their iOS devices a LOT more - the data and app usage for iOS is something like 10 times higher than the average Android user (Facebook get nearly 2000% more ad revenue from iOS than Android because of the usage levels).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I used to be a Apple "fan", I changed my phone from Apple to Android (HTC One) and my tablet from iPad to Nexus 7, the only thing I keep on thinking is "why did I not do this sooner?". I will never go back to Apple, the closed garden is enough.

soze

I am a FH squatter
There is a number of factors which point me at the iPad and I have tried and continue to try both. But mainly it is what I am used to and I have all of my applications set up as I like them. And when I get a new device after 20 minutes all of my applications and settings have re downloaded from iCloud and I am away. Another really important one for me is support but working in the job I do and seeing how many devices go back and how difficult some are to get fixed really dose make me paranoid. And Support is where Apple are second to none. If my phone breaks I go to the Apple Store get a new one let iClouds do it's thing and I am back in the game, and I like that.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Don't like how apple products work personally, from the product to the supporting software. I also don't find that my android phones suddenly break either, fact is most phones are generally much more reliable than they used to be any way...unless you have a habit of dropping them all the time.

Syri

FH is my second home
Yeah, but on the flipside of that, you become Apple's bitch, unless you jailbreak, but then say goodbye to that support...
If they say jump, you jump. If they say you use this app, you use it. If they say the launcher now looks like a 4 year old drew it, that's the way it goes.
I had an iphone for a while, but went off it when ios 6 came along. I was just getting used to getting around london, so I was doing some heavy maps usage. The new maps came along though, and they were awful. I was on holiday when the update landed though, so I didn't catch the aftermath, I just upgraded without thinking when I got back. Couldn't get anything done about it, no roll-back, no exchanging for a like-for-like handset that hadn't been upgraded yet, nothing. Just tough luck, this is maps from now on. I waited a bit to see if google got the ios app out soon (they didn't, took months) but got tired of it in the end, and decided to give android a go, traded in the iphone and got a galaxy s3. Best move I'd made.
Apple's kit is alright for support, not so great these days for reliability though, used to be far better. I just can't stand the attitude they have, that you pay a hell of a lot of cash for a device, only to be told how you should use it. The app store does give a bit of an advantage to apple, but that gap is closing very fast on the phone side, and starting to on the tablet optimised side too. icloud is alright for being able to re-load apps, but you can do similar with android, the play store has a tab that shows all of your previous purchases, on any device, and lets you go down the list installing stuff again. Store your calendar and contacts in your google account, and they're on a new phone straight away too. And you can even transfer sms messages, emails and app data files by sticking the same sd card in, and in some cases, using backup/restore software to put data files on said sd card.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It is not just getting the App back it is getting the settings that I really like.

Off topic. But yes maps was an utter cluster fuck. But according to the guys in work Google have just fucked maps on Android. You can't just enter a destination you need a start point. So you need to drive till you find signal the plan your route while driving or try to pull over. Not a fuck up on the same scale but still not great.

Syri

FH is my second home
You can just enter a destination, it will assume your current location as a start point, and if it's not up to date, it will adjust the route accordingly once it has a position locked.
You can also bring up your search history from using maps on your pc (if you're using the new maps at least, not sure about the classic browser maps) so you can look at a route on your pc, then the same destination is top of your list on your phone. Works really well for me.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You dont have to update your Android apps to the latest version
My Google maps is at least 5 months out of date and works flawlessly
I uncheck the auto update tick box on all google apps
I also have Titanium Backup Pro installed which means I can always get a previous version back

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom