Small apps that make your life a breeze!

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Thought we might share a couple of tips regarding app that make you everyday nerd life a little easier!

Synergy!
Essentially lets you use your mouse and keyboard from one computer on another (or more) through the network. And if youve got a monitor with more inputs than one and connect you laptop to that you can essentially hide it far away under the table! 4/5 stars (works flawlessly for its purpose, however requires a little configuration).

Tagscanner!
Manages tags and filenames for your mp3 files so you easily can navigate your music collection. Can take any part of the filename and convert it to a part of the tag and vice versa, and it works on large batches of files, plus a ton of other small handy features you might need when renaming files and tags! 4/5 stars (nice intuitive GUI, but once in a while i encounter features that i feel are missing among the many features it has).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
WinAMP
A new revolutionary way to listen to music. Can play most soundfiles with ease! And the other tools in it, such as the revolutionary "playlist" feature, which lets you listen music back to back, just make it the nicest music listening device invented.

mIRC
Let's you discuss to other people, around the world, for free! Yes! Free! You just log in, join a "chat" room and talk to people. Topics vary from anything to everything and even beyond.

Saved the best for last...

Notepad!
Thi amazing tool lets you write down...stuff! You can write anything from meeting logs, to songs, to full blown "my lord of the rings story copy with a twist" epic adventures! With such features as save, load and ofcourse copy/paste, it's the number one application to get!

I was gonna write a serious answer, but then i got carried away... :(

Laddey

FH is my second home
Paint. Basic, simple for what i use!

WinAVI
HiJackThis(sp)
VLC

Himse

FH is my second home
Google Sketchup
Adobe Media Player
Ventrilo
Google Earth

echome

Fledgling Freddie
whats google sketchup?
-
Developed for the conceptual stages of design, Google SketchUp is a powerful yet easy-to-learn 3D software tool that combines a simple, yet robust tool-set with an intelligent drawing system that streamlines and simplifies 3D design. From simple to complex, conceptual to realistic, Google SketchUp enables you to build and modify 3D models quickly and easily. If you use Google Earth, Google SketchUp allows you to place your models using real-world coordinates and share them with the world using the Google 3D Warehouse.
-

The power of google.com

Laddey

FH is my second home
FH > Google echome!

Himse gave a simpler answer in the same ammount of time!

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Ntrsupport :D , best remote controll software i ever used!

georgie

FH is my second home
A program I use pretty much every night, Shutdown Timer. I leave my downloads going and tell the computer to close down after however many minutes. Easier than the windows inbuilt one. :)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
My job is only bearable because of two simple tools;

ssh
vnc

With those two programs, I can do pretty much anything. If I didn't have things like SSH-tunneling and my magic VNC Listening Viewer setup, I'd have quit my SysAdmin job and become a Monk years ago.

Honourable Mentions should go to;

wget
ethereal (and similar)
nmap
dnsmasq

georgie

FH is my second home
You mean its easier then using the power button?

I've not yet mastered my sleep walking to the extent that I can get up and switch my computer off in the middle of the night at will.

I will get there though, just give me time.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Some aren't really daily-life things, but they are definately worth sharing, especially considering this is a gamer-forum.

----------

Flip4Mac - Digital Media Tools for the Mac

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components

Two absolutely good things for Macusers, as those programs add support for many different video codecs to QuickTime.

----------

LaTeX project: LaTeX – A document preparation system

A must-have for all students, who want to write professional papers instead of handing in some shitty word-formated document. Nothing to say against Word, I use it for writing purposes cause the spell and grammar checker is very good and it's easy to use or documents that stay on the computer, but if you want a serious-looking sheet, you better use LaTeX.

----------

MyMDb: Die Filmsammlung für Zuhause

German program that helps you list all the movies you have and gets the info from a database, which is more than handy. It also has a "borrow" feature, so you always know WHO has you damn discs =)) Disadvantage: it's German and thus a lot of small movies from other countries are missing and you have to add them manually.

----------

DAoC-TB - News

The DAoC-Charplan is an excellent and regularly updated program that helps you figure out what to do next and includes a lot of calculation. I use it for all my chars and it's really handy, cause it saves you looking on many other websites.

----------

EasyTutu

Easy Tutu allows you to play Baldur's Gate 1 +TotSC with the BG2-Engine, allowing higher resolutions and other nice things. It's ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY great and it really made me play the old BG1 again, cause the 640*480 gives you a pain in the hand from all the scrolling around on the map. The installation is very easy, but BG-typical requires a lot of diskspace.
Important: Google the BeregostCrashFixer12.zip and download it. Readme explains why.

----------

Apple - Safari

Safari is now available for Windows aswell and it might be an option to consider. I ran a few tests yesterday and it has a much better resource management than Firefox, which drains your memory like hell. Dunno if it's worth using the Windows version, yet, but I thought I could aswell give the link for those who are interested.

----------

Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows

TEH SSH tunnel program for Windows. Saved my ass many times at university :p Especially handy if to pass by certain quota limits or if you want to connect to some comp over a special comp (eh ok, that was a crappy explanation. Like...you connect from your comp to the uni-servers because a uni-server is allowed to connect to some other thing. So basically you use your user account on that server to connect one step further....oh f*** I give up ^^)

----------

Octave

A very nice program for all the math-geeks out there...but I guess if you're a math-geek you already know that thing =))

----------

Welcome to virtualdub.org! - virtualdub.org

Very good for video compression because no matter how expensive the Adobe programs are, VirtualDub beats them when it comes to compression quality and output size (at least it did when I compared VD to Premiere Pro)

----------

html-editor phase 5, kostenlos für Schulen und Privatanwender

Again a German program, but we DO have other Germans here =) My favourite HTML edit program. OKOK READ ON!!! Yes I know many people don't like HTML editors, but this one is not a graphical one, but text-based. Basically it's like Notepad with colour-codings, an added project management and a lot of options to quickly integrate HTML code. The advantage is, that you don't have to type everything yourself, but it's still like handwritten code. Take tables for instance. Instead of writing all the table rows and coloumns yourself, you just let the program do it and you can even fill them. Doesn't produce shit code, but saves you time.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH

ssh
vnc

With those two programs, I can do pretty much anything. If I didn't have things like SSH-tunneling and my magic VNC Listening Viewer setup, I'd have quit my SysAdmin job and become a Monk years ago.

wget
ethereal (and similar)
nmap
dnsmasq

Hands down, ssh and vnc are probably some of the tools i use the most... Got a little ubuntu box under the bed for playing movies and music and ssh and vnc is the only way to control it. I get more and more impressed about how much and how easy you actually can do stuff from the terminal :>

echome

Fledgling Freddie
FH > Google echome!

Himse gave a simpler answer in the same ammount of time!

If you had just searched for the answer you needed yourself, then we would have saved two posts! You are overloading the internet!

OT:
Google Notifier, tells me when I get new mails and also shows my calendar appointments.
Quicksilver, for instant application launching and sooo much more. Really handy tool.
Transmission, lightweight OS torrent downloader.
KisMac, wifi sniffer and for other stuff...

Laddey

FH is my second home
If you had just searched for the answer you needed yourself, then we would have saved two posts! You are overloading the internet!

OT:
Google Notifier, tells me when I get new mails and also shows my calendar appointments.
Quicksilver, for instant application launching and sooo much more. Really handy tool.
Transmission, lightweight OS torrent downloader.
KisMac, wifi sniffer and for other stuff...

The internet is overloaded with Tohtori jokes and Bahumats gayness. Two more posts wont hurt :<

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
A program I use pretty much every night, Shutdown Timer. I leave my downloads going and tell the computer to close down after however many minutes. Easier than the windows inbuilt one. :)

Brilliant program, I install it on every machine I build for people.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

ssh
vnc

wget
ethereal (and similar)
nmap
dnsmasq

You sir are a nerd, my favourite kind of people. :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Winrar - greatest compression util by a country mile

Paint.NET - superb and free paint program

ConvertXtoDvd - brilliant program for converting things like divx/xvid and wmv into DVD format and then burning to disc all in one program

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Some which haven't been mentioned already:

7-Zip - Free unzip/rar app, no need to bother with a winzip/winrar crack.

Taskix - Can't live without this one, allows you to rearrange applications on your Windows taskbar. So if Firefox crashes I can move it back to a position I like.

MS Virtual PC - To run test environments for web development and various other stuff, used to use the free version of VMware which seemed far too bloaty. This just does what it needs without adding extra crap.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Wombat410 (version i76)
killbugs (v.4.53)
filenuke 7
asbo 12

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
pr0n
- lets you masturbate in seemingly endless amounts without the help from other applications such as plastic vaginas, powerglides or dogs

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Well, I dont have some programs that makes my life easier, I think, or atleast I dont' think about any of them, lol :)

Anyway, 1 program I would simply love, or a functionality, as I don't know a program that actually does this, was a reminder pop-up sorter.
Like a little tray icon that intercepted pop-ups from all other programs on a little list, so you could click the tray icon and view the reminders whenever you wanted, instead of them interrupting you during other activities, like Virus Scanner popping up in the middle of a movie, smashing your computer out of fullscreen mode and blocking half the screen or interlaying icons that comes up during games which tabs you out of the game if you have to click anything in the game that is in the same part of the screen as the popup.

Such a program would be lovely... ah....

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
I nearly forgot!

GMail Drive! MAkes it very easy to share medium sized files to your friends - just make a new gmail account and install the gmail drive driver. Google it! :D

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
limewire - means i don't have to get up and go outside.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Thought we might share a couple of tips regarding app that make you everyday nerd life a little easier!

Synergy!
Essentially lets you use your mouse and keyboard from one computer on another (or more) through the network. And if youve got a monitor with more inputs than one and connect you laptop to that you can essentially hide it far away under the table! 4/5 stars (works flawlessly for its purpose, however requires a little configuration).

Seriously. This is the best application for home offices with more than one computer. Just dragging the mouse from one screen to the next just seems like magic. Makes me work much more efficient (recently got new PC) and also, when I play games I can chat / surf on the right screen and play on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom