Slow System

A

adams901

OK, over the last couple of weeks my system has been acting real slow, when I try to open something (IE, Outlook, my computer, game, etc) everything freezes for a couple of seconds and then opens. This doesn't happen all the time but enough to make me think something is wrong. I have done a full software rebuild thinking it was my HDDs but it's still the same, its not a heat problem as my CPU Temp is 38C and my MB Temp is 28C. It also doesn't matter what I have running as one minute it is fine, the next it slows down, then it is fine again.

I have run PCMark and various other system tests and they all come up with the same results I got a month ago before this problem started.

So short of reseating the memory and CPU I am out of Ideas, although reseating them shouldn't be the problem as they run fine once the application/game is running.

A

adams901

yup I have XP pro SP1, it sounds like my problem although it only recently started happening, it must have been one of their windows updates that caused it.

If all else fails blame Microsoft :).

Cheers
Adam

K

kameleon

Might be a daft question, but have you defragmented your hdd lately?

M

Miles_Binck

adams, take a look at your Add/Remove programs and scroll down to the Windows hotfixes. Look for hotfix Q811493 if it is there remove it. It is well known to cause system slowdowns, M$ are apparently working on a fix to it although their current 'workaround' is to disable your PC's virus scanner.

A

adams901

I did defrag before I reformated but neither worked.

Thanks Miles I removed it as you suggested, time to test ;)

P

PR.

AHA I have this slowdown on my PC at work, now I know whats causing it!

L

lynchet

Aha the culprit is revealed. I wondered what had been causing the slowdown on my system ! -- Like you Adams it has only been the last couple of weeks for me.

What was that update ? ie if I remove it am I putting some huge vulnerability M$ had in XP back in ?

A

adams901

all seems to be running fine now that I have removed that hotfix, so Thanks once again :).

S

smurkin

Is this what I have ?

I just installed xp from 98....no service pak (yet)...just from the disk I bought ....but the bugger is I can not get Norton antivirus or pccillin to run...the realtime monitors use 100% cpu..and the puter simply wont run ?!?

I am a pure newb with xp.....I gotta say...I dont like it.

A

adams901

Doesnt sound like it, my problem (which seems to not be 100% fixed but is much better) causes programs to start up slowly. My CPU and Memory Usage are normal, I usually have 2-3% CPU in use and 730MBs memory free.

Your probally best of alt-ctrl-del, and seeing what process is using all your CPU.

S

smurkin

sadly...with the virus checker running and 100% cpu...thats not possible...the computer locks. I got worried that a virus was causing the problem....so I did a search from mcaffes browser virus check....no banana tho : /

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom