Slight nostalgia

criznen

Fledgling Freddie
Ok i was getting slightly nostalgic about some old games i had on the Amiga and PC and my thoughts came to Elite. I really enjoyed the first 2 games (third sucked) and im suuuure i read somewhere there was another being made. Any ideas to urls about it? If indeed the game is actually being made and im not going mad :)

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
If there is, jolly good. I think we've discussed this game in great detail here before, but it was fantastic.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You can download Elite on virtually any platform emulator now.

There is a new, online version of Elite being planned, but Duke Nukem Forever will be out before that :p

Delboy

One of Freddy's beloved
Thing is, is there a market for it now? There are other space trading games online now.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Delboy said:
Thing is, is there a market for it now? There are other space trading games online now.

If they were able to capture the gameplay and addictiveness of Elite then there would be a market I think... many games have been touted as 'the next Elite' but none have actually delivered... I tried Eve for this reason and was very disappointed.

Right On Commander!!!

:(

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Jupitus said:
If they were able to capture the gameplay and addictiveness of Elite then there would be a market I think... many games have been touted as 'the next Elite' but none have actually delivered... I tried Eve for this reason and was very disappointed.

Right On Commander!!!

:(

Braben is indeed working on a new online version of Elite originally pencilled in for late 2004. There is an official site but i cant remember the link. I'll have a look for it later.

Siftwind

Fledgling Freddie

Right On Commander!!!

I know what you mean but I'm worried that, rather than todays games not delivering the gameplay and addictiveness of Elite, my opinion has changed after all these years. Maybe I wouldn't actually like Elite, if I was playing it for the first time today. It's like watching a tv program that you used to enjoy years ago, only to find that it's actually quite crap (only it's not, you just enjoy different things).

Please give link!!! Elite is one of my all time faves, only the original though. Bring on the Thargoids!!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Siftwind said:
I know what you mean but I'm worried that, rather than todays games not delivering the gameplay and addictiveness of Elite, my opinion has changed after all these years. Maybe I wouldn't actually like Elite, if I was playing it for the first time today. It's like watching a tv program that you used to enjoy years ago, only to find that it's actually quite crap (only it's not, you just enjoy different things).

Please give link!!! Elite is one of my all time faves, only the original though. Bring on the Thargoids!!

It IS a worry, but I am kind of assuming you factor in the advances in programming and systems to deliver the equivalent game now, in a multiplayer environment too...

*deliberately hangs in hyperspace to take 4 Thargoid's worth of Alien items for sale*

Siftwind

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
It IS a worry, but I am kind of assuming you factor in the advances in programming and systems to deliver the equivalent game now, in a multiplayer environment too...

*deliberately hangs in hyperspace to take 4 Thargoid's worth of Alien items for sale*
hehe dang thargoid drones, so valuable and so well programmed to disappear of the edge of space before you can get to 'em :)

Delboy

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah, whatever form Elite comes in, it's got a lot of ground to make up. A nostalgia market aint big enough.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
RandomBastard said:
I never played elite in the first place

** hides from incoming flames
Find it and play it now. Then let us know if you think its great or not. Then we can establish whether its just our nostalgia or whether it was a great game.

Siftwind

Fledgling Freddie
Rubric said:
Find it and play it now. Then let us know if you think its great or not. Then we can establish whether its just our nostalgia or whether it was a great game.
Excellent idea! Links to emulator and game download earlier in thread :)

criznen

Fledgling Freddie
I did have a converted windows version of elite2: frontier, and lost it in a format. ARRGGHHH.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Underdogs has links to all the Elite games. Frontier and I think First Encounters are only shareware and require activation after a while but the original and the plus version are ok.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
When you consider that (on the C64) Elite was running with less than 32k of RAM, only 16 colours, and that hundreds of thousands of people bought it and played it, I'd say it was successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom