Sleep

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Never again will I agree to a shoot in Cardiff, setting out from home at 1015, getting to Cardiff at 1500, working until 2300, then driving through the night up to Knockhill in Scotland, getting there at 0645, working until 1900, and then driving back home to Manchester. I have had 45 minutes of sleep since I woke up on Saturday morning.

Fuck that. Its not worth it. I'm off to bed, I just came here to 'calm down' from the nearly 1000 miles of driving so I can go to sleep easily :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Shit, that sounds like one seriously rough weekend.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
For someone who is so hot on motor safety and such driving 1k miles on 45 mins sleep is definately not safe

JBP|

Part of the furniture
When doing long distance driving like that (although the most i have driven in one day is 600 odd miles) is drink lots of lucozade sport.

It works for me anyway and i usually end up more alert at the end of the journey than i was at the start.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I certainly hope you're charging them for your traveltime :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
See if i had only had 45 minutes sleep I would have gone to bed, not come to post on the internet.

mank!

Part of the furniture
For someone who is so hot on motor safety and such driving 1k miles on 45 mins sleep is definately not safe

coke's the answer.

i look forward to visiting the states next year, driving from atlanta, georgia to little rock, arkansas. 521 miles \o/

edit: ooh, driving through birmingham, alabama... nascar sucks, anyone?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
coke's the answer.

i look forward to visiting the states next year, driving from atlanta, georgia to little rock, arkansas. 521 miles \o/

edit: ooh, driving through birmingham, alabama... nascar sucks, anyone?

Hilary for president! Go on, I dare ya! :D :D :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Nope it definitely isn't which is why I had regular stops, and why the passenger footwell of my car is knee deep in coffee cups, 'eat natural' bars, and pasty wrappers :D

The money was well worth it but I'm not doing it again.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The coke, Lucozade, coffee and the like may keep you from dropping off but your reaction times and concentration etc are loads worse than if you were driving after having plenty of sleep...

It keeps you awake even though the chances of having an accident are only slightly improved by the fact you have not dropped off while driving.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't fall asleep while driving. I didn't get anywhere near the nodding off stage, although I have in the past and the solution has always been to pull into the services and get an hour or two of kip.

Besides, the motorways were all pretty much completely deserted :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not sleeping for 24 hours is like being under the influence .. thats why that guy who crashed his ladrover onto the railway line the other year and caused the train crash got done by the police cause he had very little sleep before driving..

Of course its always it will never happen to me i never fall asleep etc etc till you do and possibly kill someone

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
The closest thing to a law on time spent behind the wheel is driving regualtions for HGV drivers. 9 hours a day or 10 hours a day twice a week, of that you can only drive non stop for 4 and a half hours before you take a minimum 45 min break. Although I don't think it states anywhere how much sleep you should have had.
Of course if you do have an accident and you're found to be exhausted they'll do you for dangerous driving.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
yeah i meant dangerous driving or driving without due care or similar

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
As much as I always disagree with Tom on his radical road thoughts, I doubt a man of his knowledge and experience allowed himself to get anywhere near the falling asleep at the wheel point.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
use crocodile clips and attach them to your nuts - the pain should keep u awake

Gumbo

FH is my second home
An HGV driver once told me that the bestway to stay awake behind the wheel was to hold a £20 note out of the window.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
As much as I always disagree with Tom on his radical road thoughts, I doubt a man of his knowledge and experience allowed himself to get anywhere near the falling asleep at the wheel point.

How can you disagree over the Radical?

arnage_lg.jpg

Although you make me sound terribly vain (I'm not), you're right in that I'd never allow myself to fall asleep. If it would have meant turning up late for work, I'd have done it - better to irritate my collegues by being late, than to turn up dead.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I wouldn't hold a £20 out the window while driving through scotland tbh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom