TV Sky

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Just thought I would give folks a heads up!

Read through my sky magazine yesterday and I noticed they are about to picking the adverts they think we would like to see based on the programmes we watch and our personal information. For example a sports car will not be advertised if you are a family with 2 kids, it will show a more family friendly vehicle instead.

You can opt out on the website if you so wish!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
In that case, I would expect my adverts to have girls with their tits out. I'd watch those adverts.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Lets be honest we dont watch nearly all the ads, if your like me you watch everything through planner and just fast forward all adverts

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
They totally need to switch over everything to product placement, it has to be about 100x more effective and you don't notice yourself being brainwashed.
Result:clap:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Eventually it will be like Futurama. Broadcasting ads straight to your subconscious while you're sleeping

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not fussed. I only watch things on sky+ these days, fast forward through the adverts.

Not that anyone cares about most adverts these days!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Not fussed. I only watch things on sky+ these days, fast forward through the adverts.

Not that anyone cares about most adverts these days!

You know a few media companies in America want to have the law changed on that so that adverts cannot be skipped on set-top boxes or any form of DVR. Rabid capitalism gone mad.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You know a few media companies in America want to have the law changed on that so that adverts cannot be skipped on set-top boxes or any form of DVR. Rabid capitalism gone mad.

They "want" lots of things, they're not going to get them though.

I don't have a problem with Sky trying targeted ads; it probably won't work, but free-to-air telly is going to be on its arse without alternative sources of revenue (which is why product placement has recently been approved by OFCOM), so anything that encourages people to watch ads is fine by me. As it happens, in the UK our advertising industry is creatively excellent, so there are lots of ads I don't mind watching at all. If I had to cope with American TV advertising all the time I'd probably shoot myself in the face.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
There are a couple of ads i have stopped fast forward to watch cause they are brilliant its true heh

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The Old Spice ads are about the best of recent years. I think only that and the Cravendale one stood out for me. I still don't use either product.

Interesting news about the targetted ads, I've wondered when something like that might happen but didn't realise it was imminent.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So something's old, it can't be funny?

Surely it's better to have this kind of targetised advertising, meaning if you do sit through adverts at least it'll be something vaguely connected to you, and not an advert for nappies or breast milk supplements or some shit.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There are a couple of ads i have stopped fast forward to watch cause they are brilliant its true heh

Yeah, but do you give a toss about the product?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I read something recently about adverts and people thinking that the PVR meant the death of advertising. This study went of to claim that for the majority of people the PVR had much less impact than smart phones. People pick up the phone and check emails and Facebook ect rather than hitting Fast Forward. It said something about 40% of people don't just watch TV they multi task, crosswords laptops ect.

Another article said this is to blame for the falling standards of TV as half your viewers do not pay attention so they do not notice that the show they are watching is 90% garbage they only pay attention to the good bits that grab your attention.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
TV standards have been falling since the invention of TV. I find the whole notion of falling standards a complete fallacy. At any given time in the last 50 years you can probably find people complaining about falling standards.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Falling standards my arse, look at how shit TV was in the past. Very little old TV stands up as good TV. It's not like film, where some things last very well. TV is a 'current' medium and as such dates and goes out of fashion quickly. What was regarded as good once upon a time is now laughed upon for the gash it was.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not necessarily, some documentaries, comedies, dramas etc stand up to time. The usual shit is just shit all the time, whether new or old...the game shows, the "lifestyle" programs.

TV is crammed full of them to fill up the airtime.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My problem with TV shows these days is the number of "talent" shows (I call them talentless shows).
I can say, hand on heart, I have never watched Pop Idol, X Factor, Britain's Got Talent or any show that has a "phone in" element apart from the Eurovision Song Contest. The shows get a cut from the profits of the phone votes so the networks use them to fill up transmission slots. They're money earners.

I prefer the BBC/HBO/Starz approach to shows.
Make shows that have a measure of quality about them. They might not necessarily be highbrow (eg. Spartacus, Tru Blood, Camelot) but they're watchable and entertaining (eg. Sherlock, Luther, Dr.Who, Game of Thrones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom