Sky broadband...argh!

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Fuckity fuckity fuck Sky broadband! Let the wall of text commence!

I've been adding to this as events have occurred, then shortened it as the wall just got silly, hence my change in mood or whatever during the wall. Scroll to near the bottom if you just want a summary... Enjoy! :D

19th May - This sorry tale all started a while back with the decision to try and move to talk-talk broadband as all I'd heard were good things. Upon ordering that, the sky broadband package on our second line was set to close down in a months time and talk-talk was on its way giving us a days buffer for the 28 days needed to switch to a new service. Around three weeks after having ordered the talk-talk connection however, they phoned up asking us why we'd decided to cancel our new contract which hadn't even started...but we hadn't cancelled it. For whatever reason, talk-talk thought we'd cancelled so, instead of facing a fresh 28 days while they restarted the whole process again (which would have meant three weeks without any internet at all), we decided to just reactivate our sky connection. So, a phone call was made, sky were happy to have us back and they said they'd just continue our current contract.

26th May - A week passed and all of a sudden, the internet cut out as well as our second landline (which the internet is connected through) so we phoned up asking what happened using our other phone. Apparently we had been disconnected as our contract ran out...our reactivation hadn't gone through because with sky broadband, you can't cancel a cancellation at all, period... Clever eh? They have a stretch of 8 days after cancelling to reactivate although it turns out, the guy who said we could just continue, could have just started the contract again, leaving us with only one day without the internet as activating an already existing account only takes five days. So lies were told when they said they'd continue our package as per normal. As a result, we were told a new contract would be started within a week. So began the period of time with no internet and unfortunately, the troubles were only just beginning...

2nd June - Another week passed with no movement so a phone call was made and lo and behold, the new contract hadn't gone through at all; there was nothing on their books other then a cancelled contract but they did have a record of the phone call taking place... So we placed the order again but this time were told, three working days and it'd all be sorted.

5th June - Three days later, I called up, ended up being put through to the manager who said he had absolutely no idea why I'd been told what I'd been told. It turns out that when phoning through the sky broadband services number, firstly, you can't activate the broadband and phone line just through that number and secondly, three days is a bogus claim which they know they can't do anyway. Instead, you need to go through Sky Talk and activate it through there, which we hadn't been told. I was directed through to another number where another member of management was very apologetic and said he'd put the order through personally to make sure all was right. He then said he'd contact us in two working days to give us a progress report so, I gave them our first landline number for contacting us.

7th June - Two days later, an hour and a half earlier then expected, he rang! Shock, horror! He said it'd all been put through, BT had established the line and they were ready to connect. Hurrah! Early hurrah! Unneccessary hurrah! Because in fact, they'd somehow, in two days, managed to establish a connection to the contact information phone number I gave them...unfortunately, we can't run the internet through that number for logistics purposes and besides, that wasn't what I'd bloody asked for...

9th June - So back to square one, the manager said he'd ring in two days again which he didn't, so I phoned up and was put through to another person. Once again, they'd managed to put an order through for the contact information phone number. So this guy, who says he's going to put in a formal investigation to see what's what managed to do the exact same mistake, twice in a row and should now rightly be part of his own investigation. We never heard from him again, despite being told we'd be phoned the next day to give us a progress report, even though the five days have had to restart, yet again.

10th June - I phoned up for another call at 25p/min and once AGAIN and they'd put the order through for the wrong line, AGAIN. But this time it gets worse. Because the order had been put through for that line so many times (three, lol), their normal skivies can't do anything about it. Instead, they have to get in touch with their technical support guys to manually cancel the order in their database which can take upto... you guessed it... 5 working days. So 5 days to cancel their mistake and 5 days to reactivate what was requested weeks earlier. This time, I was told we'd be contacted the following night by management and then three days later for a progress report on the cancellation. Needless to say, I've become quite a big skeptic when it comes to ISPs.

That day, the post office who controls our connection with the contact information phone number we gave to sky, sent us a letter saying they were sorry to be informed that we were leaving their services. Oh ... my ... fucking ... God ... at least they were accommodating and agreed to ignore all forms of contact from any other ISP with regards to our account for 3 months. Thank you, the post office but my word was that a worry...

Anyway, I'm getting a lil bored just writing this; it took them 3 days to cancel the order which we only found out by ringing them and getting a skivvy to contact the manager we'd been in contact with via e-mail... she then rang us that night and said upto 5 working days. This was on a saturday so we figured by the end of the following week... she said she'd ring monday which she did, saying it's all fine, then said she'd ring again on thursday, 8am for a status update. So 2pm thursday she rang up again and I was ever hopeful of cheery news...at least it couldn't get worse right?

17th June - You've got to be fucking kidding me. 29th of June? Twelve days away just to get the phone line re-connected? Then a bigger blow... after getting the phone line reconnected, apparently it'll take twelve more days to get the broadband itself reconnected, after we were told that part would be near instant. Holy shit! Seriously... from potentially upto 24 hours without internet, all of a sudden upto... well I've lost count by this point, 5/6 weeks total?. As a result she said she'd put through a years worth of free line rental and Sky TV and then said she'd keep in constant contact to give updates on progress...I never heard from her again, nor got confirmation of the offer she laid down.

After contacting both BT and sky about potentially changing services, we've been told changing to another ISP could well increase that time period further. They gave shitty excuses saying that an engineer has to be called out to our town because they've physically removed the wiring to our property and thus the plebs who work at the wiring station aren't capable of sorting it out... I'd only ask, surely every house in mainland UK has wires connected to them for a phoneline, broadband is not a big step up from that, especially as we still have shitty old aluminium wiring around our way (yes that's right, it isn't even copper /sigh). Unfortunately BT confirmed this and explained that it isn't their company who is in charge out that particular service so not only were they trying to shift blame to outsourcers but because BT are their customer not us, we can't even contact them for any status updates or even just to give them what for. <Slams face into keyboard\>...

Well the company BT is in no way responsible for and that they cannot give us contact details for... BT openreach. <Slams keyboard into face\>

29th June - From this point, we heard nothing from the people who were supposed to be contacting us but we did get a letter through the door a few days later confirming the 29th of June as the day of phoneline reconnection and decided to just wait it out. The 29th came without any phone contact from BT or Sky but the BT openreach guy appeared at our doorstep three times that day to sort out a connection which hasn't changed from our end and the phoneline was reconnected. After the third visit he said he could get the broadband up and running shortly so around 3pm I rang up sky who said it wouldn't be completed until 7th July. Apparently while activating a phoneline, a BT openreach technician is unable to flip the broadband switch, despite having confirmed that we were setup via Sky services correctly in the exchange; instead they have to go away and come back another day to do it. <Slams mouse into keyboard into face\>

July 7th, 11am. Dead phone connection. Holy mother of.....phone up, 'sorry, there's a connection fault linking the exchange to your house, it should be fixed within 48 hours'. <Slams BT into Sky\>

July 8th - Luckily the following day, a BT openreach came around to fix the phoneline, he hadn't even been told we needed the internet fixing as well so he did that in 5 minutes flat at the box at the top of our road and here I am. Props to that guy but what a volley of miscommunication.

Summary:
NEVER EVER SIGN UPTO SKY BROADBAND! I realize mistakes can happen, really I do but this is just plain ridiculous...it seems like their job spec requires a full lobotomy. The amount of people we've been through to try and get this sorted and every single one has made an array of really idiotic blunders; alright so with some other call centres you may get put through to the other side of the world but these guys are actually based in the UK so there is no excuse for a language barrier there, they're just retarded and I don't use that word lightly. Apparently Talk-Talk are no better for customer service and considering we can't get a Virgin line here, the only other alternatives would be BT who are overpriced and cap their lines, as well as charged us in the past to send us quarterly bills or the Post Office who do similarly annoying things...

So I'm back after 43 days without the tinterwebs which should have only been at most 24 hours...oh and my connection speed has dropped from around 500kb/sec DL to 150kb/sec but I'm assuming that's just going to be temporary.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
43 days without the intrawebs?

Is your real name Raoul Moat and have you calmed down a bit now? :d

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
43 days? Jesus, thats shocking.

I still cant believe how long they quote for such simple things as changing BB provider. I know loads of people who have had absolute mares trying to do it.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
This is what happened to me when I moved house. I wasn't changing provider or anything, it was just a litany of fuckups from Sky and BT. I think in total I had no internet for about 6 weeks, despite having planned it all carefully in advance and performing all the required steps as asked for by Sky with the prerequisite notice prior to moving.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
My virgin TV didn't work properly for 6 months, your complaints are nothing. These things happen. Even I didn't whine as much as you did and I had more to whine about. This means that ECA must be right. Put down the gun and give yourself up. It's not worth it.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
My virgin TV didn't work properly for 6 months, your complaints are nothing. These things happen. Even I didn't whine as much as you did and I had more to whine about. This means that ECA must be right. Put down the gun and give yourself up. It's not worth it.

No TV? You can watch most stuff on the internet these days. No internet? For someone who currently can't watch TV, has no music with me/on my computer, no pirated films/series or anything like that and works from home DirectX programming, these last 6 weeks have been a proper test of scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Look, if they turned around at the beginning and said sorry, this is liable to take 6 weeks to do, I wouldn't mind, really I wouldn't as I can form some sort of contingency plan. I'm not sure if you've read what was above (really don't blame you if you haven't, I probably wouldn't) but it's a large array of idiotic blunders with constant carrot-stringing which I dislike. Even people in management taking on your case, personally assuring you, then as soon as they fail, not contacting you to tell you anything is wrong (They aren't allowed to give you any way of contacting them personally and ignore their e-mails...) which takes the piss. Just because they pretty much have a monopoly on any decent form of connection in an area, it doesn't mean they should lie, dismiss and fuck up at every turn.

I'm actually happy it's back and have expressed my joy, even sitting with 150kb/sec download rate because it's something; I realize your post (maybe) is partially tongue in cheek but I think my point still stands... Sky suck pretty major amounts of donkey dick and should be avoided where possible.

Besides, I'm English, therefore I moan... ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
welcome to vast, uncaring company callcentres. look up the board and send them all an email with the above. then ring them all. you'll probably get a year free or something.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Write a formal email of complaint to the CEO of Sky.
jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com

I was on hold for 60 minutes to get my HD reactivated. At the beginning of the call, they said that they were experiencing a high volume of calls and times were about 20 minutes.
I rang off and composed an email to Jeremy complaining at the long wait, asking for a callback, the £3 cost of the call reimbursed and why doesn't Sky have contingency overflow for calls.

I got a phone call the following day from Sky apologising for the delay and explaining that even their overflow had hit full capacity. My HD was about to be reprovisioned and they waived the cost for 12 months.
HD free for a year, saving £120. Result! :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
companies provide exactly what they can get away with and stay afloat. They are not there to keep you happy, or to process your requests or even to provide you a service. They are there to do the mimum amount of work and spend the minimum amount of money it takes to turn a profit and keep their board happy.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The malfunctioning TV also came with intermittent and then no internet, so shhhhhhhhh. Megawhine.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Write a formal email of complaint to the CEO of Sky.
jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com)

Do this (my ex is amazing at tracking down CEOs of companies that piss her off and she has a really good success rate in getting her complaints sorted).

In addition, Tweet your complaint. All the big telcos and media companies are firmly on the social media bandwagon, but generally that means they monitor Twitter and Facebook for "sentiment", but also they have dedicated members of the CS team and other staff who follow up on complaints on Twitter.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
My virgin TV didn't work properly for 6 months

The malfunctioning TV also came with intermittent and then no internet

[youtubevid]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL1lfSzgcAw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL1lfSzgcAw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtubevid]

Marc

FH is my second home
Been with Sky Broadband for years. Never had a single problem at all and would recommend them in a heartbeat

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The only problem I ever had with Sky was when I left them - then they were a fucking nightmare; denied all knowledge of my cancellation, cancelled again, got it in writing, three months later (and I'm in New Zealand at the time), letters from a debt collection agency. Then again BT were just as bad when I all I was doing was moving and staying with them.

Having been on the inside of a phone company for the last 18 months, I'm no longer surprised by any of this though.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Only had a prob with Sky when moving house, but frankly I think the issue was mostly down to BT. Once you're connected to Sky the service (for the price) is brilliant.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Unless you have a BT line and don't want Sky Talk in which case they try to rape you for an extra £120.00 a year, stupid plan when O2 do everything the same.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Possible final note, we've just been restored to the previous connection of about 4.8meg. 2 1/2 months ish and it's sort of done. Of course the engineer denies having rectified any mistakes from BTs side of things, despite having had weeks of sub-par internet suddenly return to normal just as he goes off to the exchange.

Except throughout the several housecalls made since the connection returned (Which has cost over £1000 in call out charges for BT), apparently Sky have us limited to 10meg instead of 20. If you pay for 20 and only get 5 come through, fair enough. If you pay for 20 and you only get 5, maybe because they've limited you to 10; that's a bit of a no-no in my view.

Restored to the old but now pushing to see if there is anythingelse we can get. Apparently we should be getting 6...

Maybe final summary:
TalkTalk are bad,
BT are shitty,
Sky are beyond belief.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
leech off neighbours - cheaper and less hassle

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom