Skill Stuff

G

gengi

:help: er I am teh n0oB. I have been playing for about 8 months now on and off as work allows and have lately been reading about end game stuff. My final spec will be 42 Valour, 42 Shield and I think 39 blades, basically a defensive champ. Now my question is about non specced extra points i.e. bracers necklaces rings etc that give you plus to a given spec line (the + con str dex spirit heat energy are fairly obvious). What do they do? I have currently about + 6 in valour on items but see no noticeable effect. I take it that I do not get the spec line abilities while wearing the items e.g at lvl 45 I won't get the valour lvl 45 spec ability if I stop at 42 in valour but make up the difference in items ?
Any info would be appreciated and once I get this sorted off to the SC Saltmine for me. Here is another area of which I know nothing. (even though I read Aeturnus and Jood and Maleg and Borg etc etc on all things crafty :D )

Later people

Gengee

O

old.Trine Aquavit

+Skill items generally affect the variance of effect. For weapons this relates to damage: increasing your skill with +Skill items reduces the variance of the damage you inflict.

From a friar FAQ, but useful general information...

Specialization is a complex thing. For melee skills, normal damage is 50% to 100% of the damage for the weapon. If your specialization level in the weapon is ½ of your level, you will do between 75% to 125% of the damage of the weapon. Most melee characters try to reach 2/3 spec so that they can do consistently higher damage. Maxing a spec line is not really recommended, although with a weapon skill you will then do 100% to 150% of the damage of the weapon and full specialization!

For magic skills, the damage and healing range is much wider. It can go as low as 25% of the spells listed amount to 125% of the listed amount. The higher your spec level in relation to the spell cast, the more the range narrows. This is the reason why many advocate going to 50% spec in Rejuvenation, as your maximum variance will then be between 75% to 125% of the spells listed amount. This is very important for Friars, because they can only have one spell per healing line ever. Older spells are overwritten by their more powerful versions when they gain levels and add spec points.

E

Elvewen

Any + spec lines will increase the skill in that line without giving you any new abilities (with the exception of envenom if I recall correctly).

Basically that means that in offensive lines you top end damage will increase. In defensive lines it would increase your chance to defend. You can see the effect by readying a weapon with a + and looking at your weapon skill value. It will raise by and amound depending on the + value.

As for other lines like Chants and Instruments I'm a bit wooly on these.. I think it reduces resists and power usage.. but not too sure.

Hope this helps/makes any sense.

edit : dam he types quicker

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Another thing - it's worth trawling the VN Class boards for you class to get an idea of the value of +Skills for your class.

As a Healer, for instance, +Skill items are pretty useless to me.

+Pac items did nothing. They have now actually been removed from the game - it was easier to change all those +Pac items to +Mend and +Aug than it was to fix +Pac to do anything useful :\

+Mend items increase the variance on baseline heals. As the majority of Healers tend to use specced heals this is also pretty useless

+Aug items increase the variance on baseline stat buffs. The effect is pretty marginal, so not worth bothering with.

Take a look at the Champ boards and see what they recommend (my gut feeling would be to try and max all skills, though remember you get +1 to all skills from realm rank, so factor that in).

G

gengi

Thank you both for useful and informative answers I appreciate it
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Later

Gengee

Users who are viewing this thread