Since theres no Console Forum (yet) - Xbox Question

Gray

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
3,429
Today i got me an Xbox, after many (many) months of persistant waiting. Anyway its all been chipped and the like, but as of yet i dont have any games for it what so ever :(.

Anyway, when it got chipped i noticed the guy got my Xbox networked to his PC and backed up my Hard Drive into it...

My question is, how do you do it? Ive known about being able to network Xbox/PC for a while but didnt know how its done. (Plus i havent done it in years).

I had a quick go myself, but kinda failed (Not sure if i did tho) the IP and such was already preset into the XBox so i didnt have to do anything that end.

I dug out some RJ45 Cabling (Dont know if its twisted or straight) but i connected it to my PC/Xbox and it got picked up straight away by my PC.. Saying it was "connected"... when i unplugged it from the Xbox it come up as "disconnected" so there is a definate link somewhere.

What should i have done? What can i do to connect it?

Any help would be appreciated muchly as my Xbox is just been an ornament at the moment :/
 

Tsjiep

Loyal Freddie
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
65
Just throw it in the bin is my advise, and stop suporting Billy. Buy a PS2 instead. Yay Japan :D
 

Gray

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
3,429
yeah i tried a program the guy gave me (FlashFPX) but it didnt work very well...

so i tried the one i use all the time (Cute FTP) which was a bit easier for me but it seems to be hanging on connecting:

STATUS:> Connect: Saturday 01:33:06 12-27-2003
STATUS:> Connecting to 192.168.1.200
STATUS:> Connecting to 192.168.1.200 (ip = 192.168.1.200)
STATUS:> Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...

is all im getting...

Do i have to fill in things like username/password and if theres options for things like subnetmasking ?
 

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
500
Gray said:
yeah i tried a program the guy gave me (FlashFPX) but it didnt work very well...

so i tried the one i use all the time (Cute FTP) which was a bit easier for me but it seems to be hanging on connecting:

STATUS:> Connect: Saturday 01:33:06 12-27-2003
STATUS:> Connecting to 192.168.1.200
STATUS:> Connecting to 192.168.1.200 (ip = 192.168.1.200)
STATUS:> Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...

is all im getting...

Do i have to fill in things like username/password and if theres options for things like subnetmasking ?


I'm assuming you've had a dashboard stuck on your Xbox hd? I'd imagine it's EvoX, if so your password and username are 'xbox' (assuming the .ini files have not been modified). If that doesn't work I'm afraid I have no idea what to do. Have you tried looking on Google?
 

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
8,009
Yeah, but if it's evox you can check the username/password under the settings/system menu or something like that.

Also Tsjiep, buying an xbox doesn't support bill gates at all. Infact they lose, and indeed have always lost money on the sale of xbox's. They hoped to get back the money from game sales. I presume (due to gray's chippage) that they won't make much from him. So infact, going out and buying lots of xbox's without buying any games is actually harming Billy boys business.
 

Lemming

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
19
pfft, install Linux on the X-box, u know u want to :D

(and if anyone doesn't know, yes it can be done)
 

Gray

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
3,429
Scooba da Bass said:
I'm assuming you've had a dashboard stuck on your Xbox hd? I'd imagine it's EvoX, if so your password and username are 'xbox' (assuming the .ini files have not been modified). If that doesn't work I'm afraid I have no idea what to do. Have you tried looking on Google?

I love you.

All working... can finally play on it a bit now :D

Again! I love ye! ;)
 

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
500
Lemming said:
pfft, install Linux on the X-box, u know u want to :D

(and if anyone doesn't know, yes it can be done)

Whilst I can appreciate the nerd e-penis+ derived from this, it seems pointless, especially since you virtually require an existing pc to do so.
 

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
8,009
My mate has 3 xboxs now, one linux server, one linux dev box and one games one.

He's quite, quite mad.


edit: scooba, infact you need very little indeed, you don't even need a modchip.
 

Tsjiep

Loyal Freddie
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
65
nath said:
Also Tsjiep, buying an xbox doesn't support bill gates at all. Infact they lose, and indeed have always lost money on the sale of xbox's. They hoped to get back the money from game sales. I presume (due to gray's chippage) that they won't make much from him. So infact, going out and buying lots of xbox's without buying any games is actually harming Billy boys business.

Ditto

So then buy an Xbox and throw it in the bin for good measure
 

Embattle

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
13,282
Hashmonster said:
Maybe thats why Ono aint over here cos we haave no console forum :D

I did request one but nothing happened about it so far...xmas and all that :)
 

Embattle

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
13,282
Lemming said:
pfft, install Linux on the X-box, u know u want to :D

(and if anyone doesn't know, yes it can be done)

This is one of those interesting conversation:

Nerd1 - I've installed Linux on my Xbox.
Nerd2 - Wow great.
Person - Why?
Nerd1 - Because I could.
Nerd2 - Because its more stable blah blah....

:)
 

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
8,009
Well, the reason my mate did it was because he wanted a server, it was dirt cheap and much faster than his previous linux amd K6-2 400 server. In that respect, they're worthwhile.
 

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
9,307
Xbox r teh poo.




I've missed having the opportunity to say that :)
 

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,121
My xbox isnt poo. It runs games off the hd without having to even put a disc in, runs my 35000 emu roms and plays divx, mpeg, vcd ermmm... lots. Its a little like a pc for your telly. Id love to know where shit enters the equation without using your pc thats just like an xbox to input an answer
 

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
9,307
Doomy said:
My xbox isnt poo. It runs games off the hd without having to even put a disc in, runs my 35000 emu roms and plays divx, mpeg, vcd ermmm... lots. Its a little like a pc for your telly. Id love to know where shit enters the equation without using your pc thats just like an xbox to input an answer
Errr, thats why it's poo, cos its basically just a mini-PC. And I already have one of those I don't have to chip or add a new harddisk to get access to all the stuff that actually made buying it worthwhile.

As a console, Xbox r teh poo. Not even Halo and PGR2 can save it from being teh poo. It is teh poo dammit!
 

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,121
Bodhi said:
Errr, thats why it's poo, cos its basically just a mini-PC. And I already have one of those I don't have to chip or add a new harddisk to get access to all the stuff that actually made buying it worthwhile.

As a console, Xbox r teh poo. Not even Halo and PGR2 can save it from being teh poo. It is teh poo dammit!

Play Otogi 1 and 2 and realise how wrong you actually are :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom