Signature Rules

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Hello there, i was wondering if signature rules could be a loosened a little?

Firstly signatures are limitted to 300 characters, this seems fair BUT IT INCLUDES HTML TAGS WTF?

(color=Yellow)Heya(/color) (With sqare brackets ofc) for example will take up not 4 chars but 20+ o_O

Secondly the previous forums ive used in mmorpg have allowed in sig. I know this is a bit controversial (Will need mods to keep an eye on size and content) but it makes forums a lot more open. People with bandwidth issues can also turn [img] off for signatures in their CPcontrol.

Cool sigs like below apply will start popping up ; )

[img]http://pitspawn.phpwebhosting.com/Files/DaoC/daoc.jpg
Sig picture i use on our own KotL forums.

banner.jpg

From my exmmorpg ;)

Thanks, just my 2 pence. :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Unlikely and my 2 pence....those img based sigs are fucking annoying and unnecessary, a view that it held by the majority of the old farts round here.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Yep, images in sigs are as annoying as getting into bed exhausted, just to find that the cat has pissed in it about an hour ago, and it's cold and smells.

:)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
just thought i'd like to add something...

sig.jpg

funnily enough, the images would be larger than most peoples posts in the forums!

Say NO! to

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Excuse me?

html and img tags are not allowed in signatures. Put that graphic in your signature and i will check your profile.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Image sigs are the spawn of satan.
They add nothing whilst taking away so much.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Deebs said:
Excuse me?

html and img tags are not allowed in signatures. Put that graphic in your signature and i will check your profile.

Considering people can turn off sigs, as well as turning BB code off for sigs, why not allow images in sigs? People could easily turn them off.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Images in sigs are easily the spawn of satan. And using the excuse that I can turn them off if I want to is no good. Why should I have to mess around with my settings even more, just because someone wants a pretty picture in the sig!

Embattle

FH is my second home
GReaper said:
Considering people can turn off sigs, as well as turning BB code off for sigs, why not allow images in sigs? People could easily turn them off.

Why should I turn off sigs just becuase some people want to have silly images in their sigs and a massive list of useless info in it.

BTW DBs it seems bullet points get round the sig limiter....see above^

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Pitspawn said:
Firstly signatures are limitted to 300 characters, this seems fair BUT IT INCLUDES HTML TAGS WTF?

(color=Yellow)Heya(/color) (With sqare brackets ofc) for example will take up not 4 chars but 20+ o_O

Secondly the previous forums ive used in mmorpg have allowed in sig. I know this is a bit controversial (Will need mods to keep an eye on size and content) but it makes forums a lot more open. People with bandwidth issues can also turn [img] off for signatures in their CPcontrol.

Cool sigs like below apply will start popping up ; )

Thanks, just my 2 pence. :)[/QUOTE]

There is nothing cool about an image in your sig, but there are lots of extremely gay things about it. Also, who the fuck is interested in reading what level of wizard basher you are up to? Noone gives a shite.

My 2 pence. :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
GReaper said:

Another thing, I have sigs limited to 3 lines in my profile, but I can still see more than that in this guy's post. Can we just roast them in hell, and have done with it?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
If you want an image in your signature, simply put the same piece of code at the end of every post :)

Some people do this already.

Kind Regards.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Image sigs are an unsightly mess first created by blind wombats who decided that they wanted the rest of the universes' eyes to bleed, too.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Embattle said:
BTW DBs it seems bullet points get round the sig limiter....see above^

Tick the lists checkbox and it should remove them (wfm)

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
If you dont like the idea fine, no need for the personal attacks.

And btw not much really been said about the html tags? Why are they taking up characters even when hidden?

If you ask me all sigs do is represent the blurb that founds peoples sig in a different way.

[quote]There is nothing cool about an image in your sig, but there are lots of extremely gay things about it. Also, who the fuck is interested in reading what level of wizard basher you are up to? Noone gives a shite.[/quote]

Your going to see that data in text form regardless so why complain anyway? Just trolling imo.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I think Deebs said that HTML was not enabled in signatures.

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Yup your right just checked. Thanks for the info.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
GReaper said:
I have a proposition:

The signiture tools now allow us to disable particular tags, so how about this:

We introduce sigs - but all users have it SWITCHED OFF by default. Those in DAOC can enable it at their discretion. If someone has the [img] in sigs off (as everyone will at first) then they just see a URL.

"So what?" you say, well:

If the DAOC'rs swtich to image sigs, then they cease to have text sigs. This means that - even with sigs limited to 3 lines - no one has to look at [b]any[/b] of their inconsequential statistics, just a single link. Therefore, the DAOC retinal abuse can be embraced by those who want it, while everyone else can just lavish in the automatic disappearence of ALL the DAOC stat-fests.

I agree that it's more work than doing nothing, but so long as it's switched OFF by default then everyone wins? - the DAOC forum can have a sticky telling people how to enable it, if they want.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
'tis doable 'tis. But the question is, can Deebs live knowing that there are people with images in their sigs on FH? :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
SheepCow said:
'tis doable 'tis. But the question is, can Deebs live knowing that there are people with images in their sigs on FH? :)

Sheep, lets play with this over on our testbed.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deebs said:
Sheep, lets play over on our bed.

Get a room, please!!! :p

Seriously though, what kind of bandwidth implications does it have if people are going to be getting images in signatures, even if it is optional? Am I right in thinking only a limited impact as the actual images are linked from elsewhere and not FH servers?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jupitus said:
Get a room, please!!! :p

Seriously though, what kind of bandwidth implications does it have if people are going to be getting images in signatures, even if it is optional? Am I right in thinking only a limited impact as the actual images are linked from elsewhere and not FH servers?

Yes, the images wont be served from this old box but there own webspace.

As for a room, cost too much :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have a better suggestion. Put the whole thing to a vote, and don't include DAOC in that vote :D

Will

/bin/su
Tom said:
I have a better suggestion. Put the whole thing to a vote, and don't include DAOC in that vote :D
Its not like this is a democracy anyway. There is one vote, and, for better or for worse, Deebs has it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Shovels idea is good and fair. Damn shame really, I was looking forward to some good ole fashoined img sig suggestion bashing. Really pysched up for it till I got to Shovels post
:/

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry, I'll try to be more unreasonable in future ;)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Who says the DAoC-ers will limit themselves to just an image?

God knows they could have 10 images in their sigs, along with the usual steaming heap of shite equivalent to War and Peace that passes for a sig according to them.

:/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom