SI Question

N

NetNifty

as my PC isnt fast enough to run the new SI engine :(, if i were to buy SI, could I still use the old graphics engine and use the new chars or do you have to use the new engine to have access to them?

-Netnifty

B

Brannor McThife

My second PC is not amazingly fast, and runs a lot of stuff in the background when I use it for my SI buffbots. Yes, the new engine does need a better system to take advantage of everything, but, you can tone down a lot of stuff to improve performance. Change the water/shadows to normal, or even off for the shadows. Switch off the ambient sounds/music. There a bunch of settings to play with.

So, yes, you can play the new classes, just twink your settings. But no, the old engine should be replaced in 1.57 I believe. All SI mobs and landscape uses the new stuff. You can even set it to only put the skins on people when they are really close.

-G

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Oh... Brannor is using a buffbot, too then... interesting... :m00:

K

Keri

I play SI on a P3 500, 256 MB and a GeForce 2 MX400. I have the new effects turned off. and get less lag than other players using better PCs. I do get some gfx bugs, which seem to get worse in the rain, but moving a short distance seems to get rid of them. I was worried about potential problems if I went on a keep raid, but went on my first one, on Gaheris, at lvl 28 a couple of nights ago. I had less lag than on a DAoC EU keep raid. What also surprised me was that I was able to hit the guards (all undead), as well as the "keep lord". I was also lucky enough to receive one of the awarded seals that were lottoed afterwards. Seals are how you earn RPs on Gaheris, and the amount of RPs you get is related to your level. I donated my seal to a necromancer in the guild, as she was the first in the guild to hit 50, the day after the keep raid. She received 3,000 RPs for the seal.

Don't believe all the hype about not being able to play SI unless you have a newer or upgraded PC. If you have a below specs PC, just be sure you are not running anything else in the background, and forget about alt-tabbing out .. if GOA decide to implement that.

K

kinag

So the thing u say is that i can play SI on my current comp?

850 MHZ AMD Duron
349 SDRAM
GeForce 2GTS (32MB) - gonna upgrade before release
and the slowest DSL connection...

if i get it to run on my comp. i will be the most happiest person on earth, considering i thought i had to quit playing when SI is released.... :p

D

Dook_Pug

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)
Oh... Brannor is using a buffbot, too then... interesting... :m00:

Originally posted by Brannor McThife
My second PC is not amazingly fast, and runs a lot of stuff in the background when I use it for my SI buffbots.

-G

For SI testing. So he can level chars in the limited time provided to test all levels of his chosen chars perhaps?

Simple enough...

B

Brannor McThife

The buffbot is there so that I can test high level areas...as there are not a lot of people around some of the time. ;)

And I use her/it for our dungeon crawl nights when I tank, etc.

Tested SB/Infil buffed too...quite sad...way too powerful when buffed...can see why so many take to it... and I salute those that do not use buffbots. And really, a buffbot'd Paladin? Oooh... poor mobs... :rolleyes:

-G

A

AbPoon

As far as i've seen from the effects that are used in SI i wouldnt of thought you can have the new effects on without a card with a pixel shader on anyway.

Meaning gf3 the gf4 ti's and the 2nd gen radeon cards

K

kinag

im going to buy a new graphic card soon.. GeForce 4 i think...
but the game will work ok then right? with _some_ new effects like water and stuff.....
I will be more crazier than my berserker if i cant get SI to work properly :'(

K

Keri

Originally posted by kinag
im going to buy a new graphic card soon.. GeForce 4 i think...
but the game will work ok then right? with _some_ new effects like water and stuff.....
I will be more crazier than my berserker if i cant get SI to work properly :'(

With a new video card it should run just fine. There's lots of tweaking ability in SI anyway .. you can adjust the graphics to suit your system's capabilities. I haven't read or heard of anyone else playing SI on as low a spec PC as mine is ... but it just goes to show it IS possible.

K

kinag

Originally posted by Keri
With a new video card it should run just fine. There's lots of tweaking ability in SI anyway .. you can adjust the graphics to suit your system's capabilities. I haven't read or heard of anyone else playing SI on as low a spec PC as mine is ... but it just goes to show it IS possible.

but will i still have some of the goodies from the new engine if i tweak it down? or will i have to tweak it all down so i cant have water and tree effects from the new graphic engine? :-s

Users who are viewing this thread