SI performance on various graphics cards...

T

The Exile

You and yer fancy systems :p I'll be happy enough if it runs at all.

G

Garnet

getting Gefortce 4 Ti soon woohoo!

/prepares to throw her GeForce 2 MX away :)

P

Pouget

I would recommend having at least 512 or RAM when running SI. And if you're getting a new video card, buy one with 128 megs of memory. With 256 of RAM darkness falls and such we're barely playable due to a lot of disk access and swapping. 128 megs of memory in the video card helps to load more textures and such into memory, which again reduces disk access.

W

Whoodoo_RD

One thing to add there tho, you can turn off all them nice effects thro a menu, handy. But yes, DF is a bit laggy even when its empty!

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by DroP DeaD
GeForce4 Ti 4800 Vertices per Second:
Fill Rate:
Operations per Second:
Memory Bandwidth:
Maximum Memory:

136 Million
4.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
1.23 Trillion
10.4GB/Sec.
128MB

GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE Vertices per Second:
Fill Rate:
Operations per Second:
Memory Bandwidth:
Maximum Memory:

125 Million
4.4 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
1.12 Trillion
8.8GB/Sec.
128MB

GeForce4 Ti 4200 Vertices per Second:
w/ AGP 8X Fill Rate:
Operations per Second:
Memory Bandwidth:
Maximum Memory:

113 Million
4 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
1.03 Trillion
8GB/Sec.
128MB

GeForce4 Ti 4600 Vertices per Second:
Fill Rate:
Operations per Second:
Memory Bandwidth:
Maximum Memory:

136 Million
4.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
1.23 Trillion
10.4GB/Sec.
128MB

GeForce4 Ti 4400 Vertices per Second:
Fill Rate:
Operations per Second:
Memory Bandwidth:
Maximum Memory:

125 Million
4.4 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
1.12 Trillion
8.8GB/Sec.
128MB

GeForce4 Ti 4200 Vertices per Second:
Fill Rate:
Operations per Second:
Memory Bandwidth:
Maximum Memory:

113 Million
4 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
1.03 Trillion
up to 8GB/Sec.
128MB

Note: GeForce4 Ti 4800, GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE and GeForce4 Ti 4200 w/ AGP 8x are all AGP 8X products.

*NVIDIA supported specifications. Performance numbers are based on a specified clock speed.

Out of them which is best?
Aint the GeForce4 Ti4800 and Geforce4 Ti4600 just the same? Or am I seeing things?

The 4800 is a 4600 with AGPx8 = useless right now, no reason to get it. And DONT by the 4800SE, SE is the same as MX and that equals crap (no water effects in SI for instance)

/Agreiloth

P

Pempulla

Originally posted by agreiloth

The 4800 is a 4600 with AGPx8 = useless right now, no reason to get it. And DONT by the 4800SE, SE is the same as MX and that equals crap (no water effects in SI for instance)

/Agreiloth

Ti4800SE is far from being the same as a 4MX card.... Ti4800SE is a Ti4400 with AGPx8 support, so you WILL have all the effects in SI with it and it really isn't a bad choice in any way. Except that you will be supporting Nvidia's shitty naming policy.

M

Moody

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro. That means I will have all the nifty features, speed AND I have bright sharp colours :cool:

S

Spudgie

Had it running ok on an athlon 700 with a Geforce2 card, been on us servers. Pity everything goes tits up in a zerg or when you get into DF.

E

erdams

Well nvidia is good, but at present date anyone who wants the best card out there should go ati 9700 pro! nothing else is close to what it offers for the money if you ask me.

Tests so far show that FX will get a very small increase in old games but its gonna cost you alot more, not to start speaking about the fact you will go insane from the noise in 2days :(

As it looks today nvidia is behind if you look at what you get for your money, but hey it is your money so i dont care how you spend them hehe ;)

Erdams

G

Gabrial

I just got a Radeon 9500 on order - £111, hope its a good un!

L

lofff

ok so let me see, i got a 1600xp, 256ram and gf4 mx. Its preety old comp now but serves perfectly atm. I was doubtfull about buying SI or leaving the game (cos of boredoom) and ur telling me i would have to get SI + 256ram + new GFX card f chosing 1st option? umm hmm

G

Gabrial

I dont think you would need to buy a new graphics card with that spec, maybe just to get the uber graphics features like reflective surfaces?

Someone will maybe correct me or point to something in more detail:)

W

Whoodoo_RD

Originally posted by Pempulla

Ti4800SE is far from being the same as a 4MX card.... Ti4800SE is a Ti4400 with AGPx8 support, so you WILL have all the effects in SI with it and it really isn't a bad choice in any way. Except that you will be supporting Nvidia's shitty naming policy.
Ive heard ppl saying the SE has replaced the MX range, cut down versions and all that, so anyone got the true word on this?

G

Gabrial

Just from what I can see from the above post:

GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE Vertices per Second:125 Million
Fill Rate:4.4 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
Operations per Second:1.12 Trillion
Memory Bandwidth:8.8GB/Sec.
Maximum Memory:128MB

GeForce4 Ti 4400 Vertices per Second:125 Million
Fill Rate:4.4 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
Operations per Second:1.12 Trillion
Memory Bandwidth:8.8GB/Sec.
Maximum Memory:128MB

I'm no techie but I've heard they are the same apart from the x8 AGP support and from these stats they are identical.

D

Darkopus

Originally posted by erdams
Well nvidia is good, but at present date anyone who wants the best card out there should go ati 9700 pro! nothing else is close to what it offers for the money if you ask me.

Tests so far show that FX will get a very small increase in old games but its gonna cost you alot more, not to start speaking about the fact you will go insane from the noise in 2days :(

As it looks today nvidia is behind if you look at what you get for your money, but hey it is your money so i dont care how you spend them hehe ;)

Erdams

There are some serious problems with the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and SI, or even with basic DAoC for that matter.

If you are considering buying a Radeon please take the time to peruse the www.rage3d.com forums. I didn't and I regret it; I have had nothing but a stuttery performance from my 9700 Pro since I installed it last week.

A

Apathy

O

old.Fangrim

K... I did a run with 3fgs in different locations, on an Atlhon 1.45 GHz, GF3 Ti200 card.

There was almost NO lag when all were blasting away with spells. Normally a wizzie fireball would make my screen freeze for a second with the old engine, so it seems that SI handles this a LOT better!

O

old.Fangrim

The lowest framerate I registred was 9 fps... Which is not uber, but still very playable. And these rates were only very temporary.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Oi! Someone answer Apathy's question! I wanna know which one is worth investing in! I only have one kidney to sell so I don't want to waste it on getting a silly card.

O

old.Krusha

Originally posted by ApathyEndymion
Pah. I have a GForce 4 MX440 and a Kyro2 4500...and the

you mean its like a progressive color over the cloak instead of 2 colored? if so try turning of anisotropic filtering...

Anf about the 9700.. i have no problem with my, except in the usual events (zerg, 4-5 hrs n DF with 3-4 casters etc etc etc)

with SI i have no problem whatsoever, lower fps overall, but better fps in places where i lagged before....

O

old.davidlqs

Originally posted by old.Krusha

you mean its like a progressive color over the cloak instead of 2 colored? if so try turning of anisotropic filtering...

If its the same problem as I have with my Kyro II then it only affects guild emblems with the V shape. The bottom right quadrant of the V does not display.

If you have a solution to that Krusha then I will spam /kiss in game next time I see you.

D

drummer

I have a Savage 4 pro 16mb ........ god my computer is oooold :)
(a processor of 660 :( )

H

hercules-df

Storm It will run perfectly fine on that setup, the nly thing u need more of is ram its piss cheap these days chuck a 512k chip in.
cpu and gfx cards are high enough by a long way they will be ppl running it on systems not even half as powerfull, nowt to worry about m8 :)

G

Gabrial

Originally posted by hercules-df
chuck a 512k chip in.

Except you should on no account ask for this, ask for a 512mb chip:)

Users who are viewing this thread