Show your support

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I am not sure that is true. The way I read it was the house was his sisters and she she died he was given a temporary lease as he was living with her. The article references 6 months. And now rather than assigning him that property as his own council house they want to put him some where more sensible. I may be reading between the lines but i do not get the sense this is his council home and has been for years.

When your kids grow up and leave home you lose Child Benefits, losing the home you were given to make raising them easier is no different. Its not like you are kicked out on your arse you are moved to a smaller property.

That isnt the point tho, people quite simply cannot call a home a home anymore which is what will fuck the tories on this one, not everyone can afford to buy a house outright even if they do work full time.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
He should have left years ago tbh, selfish prick

Its where he has lived all of his life, some of you are completely lacking in any empathy for older people. It is not a co-incidence that you're in the south where social values are breaking down more rapidly than in other parts of the country.

I'm sure there are some people in the north who would agree with you, but I'm pretty sure they'd be in a minority.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Its where he has lived all of his life, some of you are completely lacking in any empathy for older people. It is not a co-incidence that you're in the south where social values are breaking down more rapidly than in other parts of the country.

I'm sure there are some people in the north who would agree with you, but I'm pretty sure they'd be in a minority.

Bud, some people posting in this thread lack empathy for anyone less fortunate than themselves, fullstop. As I said before, look at some of the other political or topical threads on this forum and some of the attitudes are downright disgusting, ultra-conservative infact.

R2D3

Fledgling Freddie

Could view it both ways, what about having sympathy for the young couple who are having to live in a bedsit because all the houses are taken up by old people who refuse to move to somewhere smaller.

I'm not saying either side is right btw, we have a housing shortage soomeone is going to lose out, its just a case of who.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Could view it both ways, what about having sympathy for the young couple who are having to live in a bedsit because all the houses are taken up by old people who refuse to move to somewhere smaller.

I'm not saying either side is right btw, we have a housing shortage soomeone is going to lose out, its just a case of who.

Surely it should be those who have never contributed to the country? Either way it isn't nice but the people that pay into the system should come first, the problem is that newcomers get bumped up the ladder due to emergency housing rules.

R2D3

Fledgling Freddie
Surely it should be those who have never contributed to the country? Either way it isn't nice but the people that pay into the system should come first, the problem is that newcomers get bumped up the ladder due to emergency housing rules.

Starts getting slightly complicated in terms of evaluating who has made a contribution (and how much, monetary vs serving society), time in country, time on waiting list, maybe someone didnt contribute to the country but had a valid reason etc

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
His rights are enshrined in law though, so now we change the law to suit the circumstances. It is an assbackwards way to govern.

So you didn't read the daily fail article then? He's only on a short hold tenancy agreement, a 6 month one. What is being proopsed is that the counil give him notice when that expires, as they are within their rights to do so. It was his sister who had the long term agreement, and that expired with her death.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Starts getting slightly complicated in terms of evaluating who has made a contribution (and how much, monetary vs serving society), time in country, time on waiting list, maybe someone didnt contribute to the country but had a valid reason etc

Basically what cho and bloodomen and turamber want is a country where we are ruled by hearts rather than heads.

I am still laughing that as soon as a thread like this comes up, people start with the old political spectrum labelling. The housing shortage is not a new thing, and any solution is not going to be pretty, take your heads out of the sand and realise that any government would be making some very unpopular choices right now.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Christ there are some heartless bastards on this forum. Yes, if we were talking pure emotionless logic then it is more logical for the family to live in the 3 bedroom house; however, moving the guy out isn't the correct thing to do on compassionate grounds. Anyone with an ouch of empathy will understand that the house means more to him than just somewhere to live - it's full of memories of his life.

What he should do is adopt a few kids and drag them up - he'll not only be emulating a majority of the underclass but he'll be earning a tidy little sum in handouts as well.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Basically what cho and bloodomen and turamber want is a country where we are ruled by hearts rather than heads.

Damn straight - compassion and empathy is what keeps us civilised and human, if we ruled by our "heads" then we wouldn't have a housing problem we could just castrate anyone who wishes to have children and can't support them financially. Alternatively, we could just ship anyone who isn't valuble out of the country. No skills? nah we don't need you here. Past retirment age? either jump off a bridge or lock yourself away in 1 bedroom apartment and never see the light of day again. Asylum seeker? no thanks - you offer nothing of value to use. etc etc.

Sorry if this sounds crude but if people started using their hearts more this country wouldn't be a complete fucking disgrace. People might be able to walk down the street at night without the fear of being mugged, or not leave their house and wonder if some smack addict is going to break in to steal something for his fix. You wouldn't see some (sterotype i know) obese unemployed waste of space trailed by 10 kids because they're worth £100 a month to her. People would support each other as they wouldn't need to fear being taken advantage of.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And what about compassion for the family that are probably in a overcrowded one or two bed flat?

This is a one sided story.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Damn straight - compassion and empathy is what keeps us civilised and human, if we ruled by our "heads" then we wouldn't have a housing problem we could just castrate anyone who wishes to have children and can't support them financially.

Sounds good to me, where do I sign up?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
So you didn't read the daily fail article then? He's only on a short hold tenancy agreement, a 6 month one. What is being proopsed is that the counil give him notice when that expires, as they are within their rights to do so. It was his sister who had the long term agreement, and that expired with her death.

Read up on sitting tenants.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Don't think it applies since he signed a new agreement.

Anyway, adios to this thread. Let's wait and see what actually happens. Maybe the old guy didn't actually say any of the bollocks the mail has printed and might move happily?

gohan

FH is my second home
I have been saying the same about you frequenting this website for the best part of a decade!

pffft repped you for the wrong quote. i meant this one. i loled

also i love that thiers a more or less 50/50 split in fact probly 60/40 towards the face that it IS sensible to free up a 3 bed house that a pensioner isn't in need of

but even tho thiers alot of support on both side people still resort to: OMG R U RETARDED OLOLOLOL WOW WHO LET YOU HAVE A KEYBOARD?!?!?!!1111ONELEVEN

it's simples really, the country is in a sorry state financialy and letting some old bloke have a 3 bed house to himself paid for by the council just isn't economical.

and if he's so old that he'll die if moved, then how it would be a kindness to take the stairs out of his life as surely he's to infirm to get up them unaided??

biggest load of bollox i've heard, thier not making him homeless are they?

as has been said if you don't own the house then you get no say

all of you screaming about ignorance and lack of empathy, why don't you group together and buy the house for him if you feel that strongly.

if your not prepared to acctaully take action then you don't feel that strongly and are basicly just trying to take the holier than thou route....

me, i'm honest

it won't affect my life in the slightest, therefore............

gohan

FH is my second home
Damn straight - compassion and empathy is what keeps us civilised and human, if we ruled by our "heads" then we wouldn't have a housing problem we could just castrate anyone who wishes to have children and can't support them financially.

you say this as if it's a bad idea??????

chav's should have to apply to get knocked up, if they don't pass a basic IQ quota and have no hope of paying anything towards raising a child they get rejected

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Don't think it applies since he signed a new agreement.

Anyway, adios to this thread. Let's wait and see what actually happens. Maybe the old guy didn't actually say any of the bollocks the mail has printed and might move happily?

He still has rights as he lives there and has for some time, the new agreement may well be illegal if he signed it under duress after being given false information. A decent lawyer is all the old boy needs, as a sitting tenant he can tie them up in court for years and he should, they are just another council bullying poor people into submission.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
cho, I've just checked. He's not a sitting tenant. Shorthold tenancy agreemtns are not covered by the now obsolete Rent Act. His sister was the sitting tenant, on her death he has taken a new shorthold tenancy on the property. This is covered by the Housing Act 1996.

Now if he was to refuse to move once given notice, it could be interesting, as it would be the courts decision.

edit: // just to clarify. The Rent Act gave the right to a property for life to the original tenant, or their spouses or offspring. As a sibling he is not covered by this right.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
as has been said if you don't own the house then you get no say

Incorrect fella, this is not 1920. Tenants have rights, you very much get a say and it is protected by a number of laws. Paying rent gives you entitlements and protection under the law, you have made a financial contribution to the property and that is why rights were extended to the tenants in the first place.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You are both wrong, the Housing Act of 88 and 96 changed things considerably. The old Rent Act was ridiculous, it created a lack of rental property due to an inability to change prices with the market or take the property back unless the tenants decided to leave.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
cho, I've just checked. He's not a sitting tenant. Shorthold tenancy agreemtns are not covered by the now obsolete Rent Act. His sister was the sitting tenant, on her death he has taken a new shorthold tenancy on the property. This is covered by the Housing Act 1996.

Now if he was to refuse to move once given notice, it could be interesting, as it would be the courts decision.

edit: // just to clarify. The Rent Act gave the right to a property for life to the original tenant, or their spouses or offspring. As a sibling he is not covered by this right.

He was forced into taking on a shorthold tenacy, she was the sitting tenant but as he was named on the electoral role at that address upon her death he automatically inherited those rights. The council then bullied him into signing a new agreement for the short term with the intention of evicting him in the medium term. He still has protected status should he have the desire to fight it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Lets see what happens then, he could claim its a breach of his human rights as i'm sure there will be something in there somewhere that applies to HR and HR tops pretty much anything on the planet at present.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Interesting
We need that council house for a bigger family.
We need that hospital bed for someone younger.
We need you to die earlier to pay for the next generation.
We need your organs for someone more important.

I love ramping things up out of all context.

I just don't get this house shortage in the UK..they are building estates absolutlfrekineevrywhere!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

He should go to court, they tricked him by getting him to sign away his old rights by taking on a short term tenancy agreement. I will say it again, as he had been living there for some time legally he is protected in a number of ways under the law. Just hope he gets the help he needs to fight it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Interesting

I just don't get this house shortage in the UK..they are building estates absolutlfrekineevrywhere!

its because of the amount of foreign people coming to live here the rate they come in is faster than the rate they're building houses.. common sense would say to stop them coming in if theres a shortage of housing? not rocket science really but then again the gov is rather thick in that respect.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Interesting

Ok, in Manchester we have around 10,000 apartments in and around the city centre that are vacant. They were built during the property boom. The people who would have bought those places can no longer get the mortgages so they are staying where they are in rented accomodation. This lack of movement in the rental and housing market is the problem, there are lots of empty places but people can not move up the ladder and so the bottom end of the system is totally clogged up. Ireland has exactly the same problem, no empty public housing and fuckloads of empty private places that no one can afford or get mortgages for.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Cho, can you provide proof of that please. Everything I've read says that he'd have to be the offsrping or spouse of the sitting tenant to inherit the tenancy. As her brother, living there or not, he does not have that right.

Oh and I'm sure the Daily Mail will pay his legal bills with the money they've made of this story :rolleyes:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
its because of the amount of foreign people coming to live here the rate they come in is faster than the rate they're building houses.. common sense would say to stop them coming in if theres a shortage of housing? not rocket science really but then again the gov is rather thick in that respect.

See my previous point, it isn't so much a shortage of housing as a blockage in the system and very poor levels of public housing due to 'right to buy' in the last 25 years. Councils never replaced stock and people at the bottom cannot afford private rents because of over inflated property prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom