Sport Should uefa and the leagues..

Salary cap....

• Le Yes Please, much fiarness for everyone

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Les No! -Teh free for all, use em or loose em, law of the jungle and what not!

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Olga is the pinnacle of awesomeness

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Implement salary caps for staff and players like the ones you see in the mighty US of A ?
ala NFL, NHL, NBA etc

Aye or Nay ?

Question part two - for debate:
how would you impliment it ?

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Yes but I just can't see it happening.

They can make it work in the US, because it's all the one country, but getting so many teams across many different nations to all agree to it would never work.

You could also try to have a soft cap the way Baseball does over here I suppose, more teams might agree to that. The problem is that if City are forced to pay 50 million because their salaries are too high....do you think they care?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The clubs would respond by forming their own league. And who'd stop them?

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Not to mention that this would probably quickly result in the formation of a players union, strikes and lockouts.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Wouldn't work. Would the salary cap be the same across all leagues? In that case it wouldn't affect the smaller leagues and you'd still be crying about Copenhagen having more money than GF

Vae

Resident Freddy
Works in Rugby Union but I appreciate the situation is rather different and taxa and exchange rates would make a huge difference (e.g. AS Monaco with no income tax could effectively pay players more).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Works in Rugby Union but I appreciate the situation is rather different and taxa and exchange rates would make a huge difference (e.g. AS Monaco with no income tax could effectively pay players more).

How does it work in Rugby Union? Everyone is fucking off to France...

Vae

Resident Freddy
How does it work in Rugby Union? Everyone is fucking off to France...
Which also has a salary cap but admittedly twice as much as UK so I can understand why the players in demand are moving.

DaGaffer

Which also has a salary cap but admittedly twice as much as UK so I can understand why the players in demand are moving.

Which makes salary caps useless. In fact worse than useless in the context of European free movement of labour.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
If it's implimentet on a Fifa/Uefa level, the clubs wont have much choice.
Making it work for the bigger leagues isnt the issue imo - But as corfnofk so nicely pointed out
is that a cap for one league equals status quo for another - and enforcing procent based caps will again
favor the bigger leagues.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Go back to the max 3-4 none nationals pr. team ?
not as in none EU but as none nationals

/..takes cover

ileks

Part of the furniture
League One clubs can only spend 65% of their earnings on wages. It has made the league far more competitive. Look how close it is at the top.

If they could actually make it work at the higher levels I'd be well up for it.

DaGaffer

If it's implimentet on a Fifa/Uefa level, the clubs wont have much choice.
Making it work for the bigger leagues isnt the issue imo - But as corfnofk so nicely pointed out
is that a cap for one league equals status quo for another - and enforcing procent based caps will again
favor the bigger leagues.

FIFA and UEFA aren't allowed to implement it at that level - its against the law in lots of places and as others have pointed out, what would you do about different tax regimes?

DaGaffer

League One clubs can only spend 65% of their earnings on wages. It has made the league far more competitive. Look how close it is at the top.

That's what the fair play rules are about in theory but they'll be easily circumvented.

soze

I am a FH squatter

Would mean nothing. Man U earn a factor of 10 more than Swansea in a season so could still spend 10x the amount on wages. And Man City will still get "West Stand Toilet Roll" sponsorship deals for £20m a season to get round it.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
FIFA and UEFA aren't allowed to implement it at that level - its against the law in lots of places and as others have pointed out, what would you do about different tax regimes?

Think bigger!

The national leagues - National law makers - EU - Greater assosiations like Fifa & Uefa.
If you can achive a collective will. It can be achived - thats really not my question though.

The question is:
In your opinion, should it ?

DaGaffer

Olgaline said:
Think bigger!

The national leagues - National law makers - EU - Greater assosiations like Fifa & Uefa.
If you can achive a collective will. It can be achived - thats really not my question though.

The question is:
In your opinion, should it ?

No, "thinking bigger" doesn't get you anywhere because the EU can't enforce collective wage ceilings either, and you still have the tax problem.

To answer the second question, no. A wage ceiling makes sense in a flat league like the NFL because there's no relegation, but Europe doesnt need it.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
No, "thinking bigger" doesn't get you anywhere because the EU can't enforce collective wage ceilings either, and you still have the tax problem..

Indeed no one instance alone can change the playing field, but if there is a collective will to change it "on all levels" it can be!
Denying that is utter none sence! However if, that some what utopian notion is achiveble or should be something to aspire for, thats a differrent matter.

As for part two, I fail to see what promotion and relgations have to do with salary caps.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So the EU should change employment law just got football? Lol what! Also relegation and promotion had a lot of impact.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, because you can't penalise one profession with different laws. If the football clubs don't want to spend all their profits on wages then they shouldn't..simple.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Ch3tan said:
No, because you can't penalise one profession with different laws. If the football clubs don't want to spend all their profits on wages then they shouldn't..simple.

Although they've proved they can with the bankers bonuses being limited to 1 (or 2) x salary.

DaGaffer

Although they've proved they can with the bankers bonuses being limited to 1 (or 2) x salary.

Yes (although its not ratified yet) but all its going to do is switch bonuses for increased salary and share options.

DaGaffer

As for part two, I fail to see what promotion and relgations have to do with salary caps.

In league sports with promotions and relegations, there are actually several different competitions going on at the same time; the title, the CL, Europa League places, and the relegation battle, so there's pretty much always something to play for for the majority of teams all the way through the season; which keeps play relatively competitive and interesting for the fans, even if only 2-3 teams ever look likely to win the title.

In the American-style franchise model (fixed roster of teams, no promotion or relegation), there's a narrower competitive opportunity; access to the Superbowl or The World Series etc. is essentially the goal. Without a salary cap you could easily end up with a sterile model where there same couple of teams buy up all the best players and there's no other competitive activity, the lesser teams are just cannon-fodder for the big two, with nothing else to play for themselves. NB. I actually think the salary cap on its own isn't enough and one of the things that helps the American model work is the draft; otherwise you'd still get a tendency for players to coalesce around "glamour" teams or locations, even if the salaries are the same.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
It's an interesting perspective
But I really, really dont see the basis for using promotion and relegation as a basis for arguing against the use of salary caps.
By your argument, you also then must propose that the European leagues arent facing any problems with unbalanced leagues - due to said arguments against the idea of salary caps

...American-style model...*snip*...Without a salary cap...easily end up with a sterile model...couple of teams...buy up all the best players

So in your opinion, this isnt already happening in most of the major leagues in Europe ?

Oookay then.... ..

DaGaffer

It's an interesting perspective
But I really, really dont see the basis for using promotion and relegation as a basis for arguing against the use of salary caps.
By your argument, you also then must propose that the European leagues arent facing any problems with unbalanced leagues - due to said arguments against the idea of salary caps

So in your opinion, this isnt already happening in most of the major leagues in Europe ?

Oookay then.... ..

No, I think the unbalanced leagues thing is overstated. Not in all leagues; Spain is a problem, but that's a problem with TV rights money distribution; elsewhere? Germany, England and Italy are fine.

Edit. And by the way, the salary cap justification I used isn't my analysis, its the justification used by the American franchise leagues themselves.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Well that's an opinion.

So Man.C & Chelsea aren't a problem, they could easily have achieved the same success
within the same time frame, without major investors and ridiculous wages ?

Germany - with the exeption of BM sure is prob among the most well balanced leagues in europe,

Italy, Holland, Denmark, Belgium, Sweden, Greece, Turkey, Norway, Austria, Russia, Ukraine
to name just a few, all suffer in some extent with unballanced leagues where the gap between
top 2-6 teams and the rest of the league is constantly growing.

- Infact scratch Denmark from that list - I'd actually say that denmark with the exeption of FCK has to be the most ballanced league - In the World! ;P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom