Should Sepp Blatter just STFU?

S

SilverHood

"Blatter has suggested that Ferdinand should be suspended until a decision is made, and that United should be docked points for the matches they have won with Ferdinand in the team since his missed drugs test."

What happend about innocent until proven guilty?

Should Man Utd be docked points for the FA's inability to do things in a timely and efficient manner? Should Rio be punished for the FA's failings?

Anyone else think that Blatter should just stick a sock in it?

T

Tom

This raises a more general question: should any athlete be suspended while their honesty is in doubt? I think not.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by SilverHood
What happend about innocent until proven guilty?
He missed a drugs test and everyone knows he did. So he's already known to be guilty of the only thing they've charged him with, and that's misconduct for missing a drugs test.
There's no question of him being innocent.

Should be banned for the rest of the seasonand possibly more, and I agree that Man United should also be punished for feilding a player they knew would be charged. Every other club generally suspends any players they know are going through disciplinary procedures with any body, whether the FA, FIFA or the Police.

S

SilverHood

Not really. Cole was playing for Chelsea for a long period of time, while being investigated for misconduct that happend while he was playing for West ham.
Then he got a ban, and chelsea suffered, rather than West Ham.

The FA should take the blame here - they could have had the entire thing sorted in 2 weeks.... its not Rio's fault, or Man Utd's fault they can't get their act together.

There's no question of him being innocent.

But he hadn't been found guilty yet... which is my point.... no punishment until after the verdict has been given....

D

doh_boy

Don't forget arsenal fielded all 5 players about the crazy van nistelrooy fracas. Also bear in mind that more than one player has missed tests and nothing was said about it. Then again I'm a united fan so don't really want to loose rio or points.

G

Gumbo

I feel the blame lies with the FA. Yes he should have been suspended whilst an inquiry was made, and hearings carried out, but this should have been done within a couple of weeks, not a few months.

Say they then decide to slap him with a ban, a seperate hearing could be held about wether to suspend the start of his ban pending an appeal, or just ban him until an appeal is successful.

In short, someone with a drugs related case hanging over them should not be allowed to play, but equally it needs to be sorted out quickly so that the suspended player only misses out on a handful of games.

Fucked up all around really, but hey, thats football.

C

Cpt. Paranoia

If the FA and referees did their job properly, this wouldn't even happen. Look how long it's taken with the Joe Cole situation, it's nothing short of farcical.

J

Jonaldo

I'm sure they would've done their job properly if he'd bothered to turn up :)

X

xane

Originally posted by Cpt. Paranoia
If the FA and referees did their job properly, this wouldn't even happen.

The FA don't take the actual test, it's up to the club doctors, and its the responsibility of the club and player to see that a request for a test is adhered to.

A

Ash!

IMHO Blatter should keep his mouth shut. Double standards all the time. I dont remember him belating on about life time bans and docking points when Jaap Stam, Edgar Davids and the rest of Serie A were being accused of drug taking a few seasons ago.

In respect of banning the player for life and relegating the respective football team ????? Well it just shows what an imbecile the man really is given that it would be quite easy to plant performance enhancing drugs in any players food or drink by anybody from inside or outside the club. The whole club is then punished ????? Idiot nothing more and nothing less. The man has the audacity to question the G14 clubs over protecting the players yet he insists on the worldclub championship and the other tournament in France held this summer. Of course this is to bring together the family of football and not in anyway make money for FIFA

Rio is not guilty of anything, yet He will be charged and made a scapegoat for his own incompetence. Propbably banned. Just a shame that people like Blatter dont come out and commend players for the work they do in the community for kids and steering them away from drugs

A

Ash!

Originally posted by xane
The FA don't take the actual test, it's up to the club doctors, and its the responsibility of the club and player to see that a request for a test is adhered to.

Not necessarily true Xane.

UK Sport was and is the agency contracted by the FA to carry out the tests on their behalf. They adhere to the guidlines laid down by the FA. At no time can a representative of the club or the player take a sample for the purposes of a random drugs test. Otherwise it would lose all impartiallity

C

Cpt. Paranoia

Originally posted by xane

I wasn't referring to the Rio Ferdinand affair, more the length of time it takes for decisions to be made on even the simplest of things.

J

Jonaldo

The football clubs themselves very probably slow down a lot of FA procedures, I've little doubt about that although no proof to back it up. Most club managers and directors are more up their own arses than the FA board.

S

SilverHood

Doubt in Jonaldo - if the FA had said Rio needed to turn to a hearing a week after he missed the test, he would have to go.

The italian player (from lazio I think) who spat on Chelsea's Mutu got an 8 match ban for that - the ban was given to him in a weeks time.

Why can't the FA do it like that?

C

Cpt. Paranoia

Originally posted by SilverHood
Why can't the FA do it like that?

Because the appeal system is stupid and clubs have no respect for it. It just drags out proceedings, and the FA are inept morons anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom