Motoring should I or shouldn't I

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
AAARGH!!!! :eek:

the other car thread and a recent trip has made me seriously think of upgrading my beloved, dirty, scratched, dented but also completely inexpensive and efficient Seat Arosa.

I have found, on one of the Dutch car trading websites, a Volkswagen Golf 2.8 V6 4Motion Highline (*waits for Bodhi to finish having an orgasm*) with 79000km on the clock, built in 05/2003. Comparatively speaking it's a steal and looks very pretty in pearlescent black and debaged glory. 204bhp / 150KW though 0.o

Now, on the same site I can also get a 2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, which is a lot more normal, less gas-guzzling but also far less fun at 115bhp, but also newer though with more miles on the clock at just shy of 100k. More or less the same price, but will be cheaper to run.

My boss, after listening to me winge for 30 mins about the public parking I am using because I am too cheap to spend 100 euros a month on a spot in a garage near me, said I should get a Toyota Corolla 1.8 16V Vvtli T Sport which is a cheaper, MUCH more unassuming car, but comes with an absolutely insane engine than is the famed Dr Jeckle / Mr Hyde effect Top Gear likes because above 6k rpm it suddely belts out 190bhp but in most other respects looks like something an old man would drive.

Weighing pros and cons I start with the cons:
  • I barely drive 1000km a month, if that, but I do enjoy car trips to faraway/not so faraway places so sometimes I drive more.
  • I have a space on a public parking lot where my car will sit about 4 to 5 days a week because I simply won't use it as there is no need.
  • My boss is giving me a public transport card and has told me that if I drive to Amsterdam he will have me committed on grounds of generally being an idiot.
  • the Seat costs nothing, it's scratched, dented and looks horrible. In all other respects it's fine. I won't care if someone backs into it, scratches it, sets fire to it or steals it.
  • the money comes out of my house fund. Still, I'm not going to buy a house any time soon and can replace the money in about a year.
  • there seems to be a credit crunch of sorts going on.
  • the car will have to be outside where everyone can get to it :/

pros:
  • that V6 Golf is fecking lovely.
  • I'm cool with spoiling myself.
  • having a car that is nicer to drive will have me driving more I guess. there are lots of nice places within an hour or less from where I live.

Advice please!!!1

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My boss, after listening to me winge for 30 mins about the public parking I am using because I am too cheap to spend 100 euros a month on a spot in a garage near me, said I should get a Toyota Corolla 1.8 16V Vvtli T Sport which is a cheaper, MUCH more unassuming car, but comes with an absolutely insane engine than is the famed Dr Jeckle / Mr Hyde effect Top Gear likes because above 6k rpm it suddely belts out 190bhp but in most other respects looks like something an old man would drive.

I'll get back to this thread, but one think on that Toyota:

Ten worst cars tested | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | evo

Number 9

I would trust Evo :)

TdC

aha cheers for that :D screw the Toyota then, never having driven one I'll trust evo on this :D

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
aha cheers for that :D screw the Toyota then, never having driven one I'll trust evo on this :D

Apparently the Toyota Corolla is the biggest selling car of all time. Just a fact, not saying they are good or bad, just suprised me when i heard it :D

TdC

I think it's to do with the expectations due to the engine (in this particular one)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Since i know little if any about motoring, i'll just say:

Oh...go on then :D

50% chance i'm right eh?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Bigger engined VW's are lovely and the sound from them is sexual.

Nicest sounding car I have ever had was my Bora V5, I say go for the Golf 2.8, I was looking at the 4motions as well but decided on the Volvo S60 T5 (maybe have a look at them, awesome sound and performance and goodish on fuel).

My vote is for the 4motion.

TdC

oooh must think a little more :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Personally, I wouldn't. Its a boring chassis, very little feedback and totally uninvolving to drive. Its partly the reason I got rid of my TT after only 4 months.

If you want something a bit special, buy an MX5. Its cheap, reasonably quick, superb handling, cheap and easy to fix, and is a convertible - which if you've never experienced, is a very special thing. Plus you can get them turbocharged, or even supercharged.

TdC

hmmm garage has turned out to be somewhat dodgy: price on the webby is *not* the price they want to sell it for, and turns out they've changed the wheels too :/ why do they do these things?

TdC

hahaha I actually have to do things with the car rather than look like a knob / not be able to fit in/out of it :p

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The answer my friend, is a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo. Much nicer, faster and better looking than the Golf.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Plenty of people 6' + drive classic minis :p

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Keep the money, you'll be pissed if house prices crumble and you 0.0001% deposit on a house becomes your 10% deposit on a house that you spent on what you will then nickname "a stupid car"

TdC

I'm not going to buy a house for a while I have decided though :p

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Somehow I dont believe either Jup or TdC will have issues with mini's so no Yoga required...

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I struggled to fit in an mx5 when I went in my brother in laws.

I don't think TDC will have that issue - it's not a car for the generously proportioned :)

M

TdC

you saying I am not well endowed? :eek:

Trem

I didn't realise Teedles was a midget, with him being Dutch I just thought he would be correctly sized.

My dreams have been shattered somewhat :(

TdC

you keep forgetting I'm half Scots :p due to dietry issues with my ancestors I am short and broad. Will on the other hand is 8'7". he is clearly an anomaly :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hell even I look 8'7" standing next to teedles.

He's like Jups brother or something.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
no no no TdC is not as vertically challenged as Jup.... no one is except maybe my gnome warlock.

TdC

Hell even I look 8'7" standing next to teedles.

He's like Jups brother or something.

how strange... my memory is actually claiming that I am taller than you Chetzor. oh well, must resign myself to just being taller than Jup and Yoni's warlock then :/

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Ignore that. Why haven't you bought a Coop then eh? Too busy smoking dutchy stuff then eh?

(don't blame you)

Fiat_Coupe_vl_blue.jpg

TdC

oh Fiat Coupé's are absolutely sweet arse. Anything Mr P. touches is gold imo. sadly, the car is not only getting hard to get, but also completely impractical for my uses :(

Will

/bin/su
Maybe I'm being weird here, but that Fiat looks like it was almost a lovely car. Almost, but failed for some reason at the final hurdle.

TdC

not at all. I have the same feeling. there are a few things that I wonder about it that may have been better. for example, I wonder what would happen if it didn't have a boot, or if the wheels were larger. The 2.0 turbo plus models have 17" wheels as standard rather than the 15" you see there.

Trem

I do love the Fiat Coupe, stupid fast and great looks but not entirely practical. Having said that I would have one in a heart beat if a nice example ever cropped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom