Question should be a simple question for ye tech gods

Madmaxx

FH is my second home

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Yep.

Start > Run > services.msc

That brings up the Services screen.
Right click on a service. Click Properties.
Click on the Startup Type dropdown box and select "Disabled".
Click the "Stop" button.
Click the "Apply" button.

There ya go. Service stopped... permanently. :)

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
yeah, I mean only things Ive got on my laptop apart from what came with it is DAOC,Nortan AV and Photoshop CS3 but if I do Ctrl+alt Del its got atleast 60 processes going. And once I stop everything I dont need its soo much quicker. Ill eventually buy more RAM for it when I get some money. But until then I can run DAOC much better even alt+tabbing to something else is much better if needed. Vista has alot of crap on it I find :p

Kryten

Old Cow.
Uninstall Norton and replace it with something decent. You'll notice a hell of a difference just doing that.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Uninstall Norton and replace it with something decent. You'll notice a hell of a difference just doing that.

any recomendations ?? I notice on the freeware thread there's AVG which at my local internet cafe they had it before the shop closed.

btw ( i am a computer noob )

nath

Fledgling Freddie

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
OK thanks I'll get on to AVG right now as im deep enough into my overdraft as it is atm :D

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'd suggest something other than AVG these days - try Avast! or Avira.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
What's your reasoning behind that? I'm still using AVG and happy enough with it, though I'll admit I preferred version 7.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just as effective as ever, just getting a bit bloaty. Far, far, far less so than Norton and many others, but others are a tad less offensive on the eye. Not much to it rather than cosmetics and a few measily MB of used memory for those looking to eek out every spare bit of performance they can muster - definitely nothing important enough to worry about.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
So my laptop would be safe or ok to run with just avast or AVG and windows defender?

Fast

Part of the furniture
Yer I moved from avg to Avast and prefer it.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
This, this, this, this and this some more.

Seriously, Norton is a horrific resource hog and not a very good AV system.

have you tried the latest Nortons 2009 version? or even the 2010 Beta?

They are drastically different to NAV of old.

Kryten

Old Cow.
2009 is no better than the previous incarnations. I've been actively removing it from many teacher laptops for reducing them to gibbering wrecks. Granted the Mcafee im putting back on isn't a whole lot better but it's damned slight easier on the systems.

And 2010 beta? It's slightly improved, but not even close enough to worry users of anything decent just yet. But, it's a beta. And look a bit deeper into it - why do Symantec feel the need to shove its CPU usage down your throat - unnecessary. And it works against them, start clicking around within the menus or actually do anything with it other than let it sit idle and start watching CPU usage murder itself and your PC.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
have you tried the latest Nortons 2009 version? or even the 2010 Beta?

They are drastically different to NAV of old.
I've not tried those, but it'd have to be pretty bloody spectacular to a) overcome the problems its had in previous versions and b) be actually worth any money.

So far I've not really seen any anti-virus products that are worth anything given that there are perfectly adequate ones for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom