Should all the Premiership teams get the same amount of money?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yes! No! I mean...jello?

Just wanted to contribute to this and conratule of winning this soc mentioning on your unmarked thread :D

EDIT: Ok, you get half a soc-cer mention 'cause the title was a bit obvious.

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
I agree, one reason I don't care much about English football that much is that its always Man U or Chelski winning everything, would be much more interesting if it was more equal. One thing that makes the Brazilian league so good is that a team could do shit one year, and win the league the next, makes it a lot more interesting.

Although, tbh, what with all these mega-rich businessmen buying teams, what with Chelski and now Liverpool, its going to end up like the sport in the USA, which really will suck teh balls. =(

Corran

Part of the furniture
You get awarded for how well you do, so can understand why it is not equal. What would you do in a tennis tournament if the person that comes 1st gets the same as the person that comes last? Does that sound fair? As it basically the same thing.

Yes it makes it hard for the lower teams, but when you look at Chelsea and their sugar daddy it makes no difference. Man Utd got a huge turnover from sponsership/merchandising that they can afford the better players. An extra few million will not allow the lesser teams to compete for them players unfortunately.

Besides, 30million pounds is what coming last in the premiership next year is worth due to the new tv deal, makes the prize money seem that bit more insignificant.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do not think it would make enough difference a team with 20 000 fans a week will never keep up with Man U with 76 000. The money the big teams get comes from sponsors, gate recipt europe ect. Getting the same money for your premiership season would change absolutly nothing.

Himse

FH is my second home
Football players are WAY overpaid,

Ronaldo is now on 120 grand a week
John Terry is on 100 grand a week

list goes on.. its a total joke, most people barely earn half that in a month.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie

try year.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
its entertainment , the football sport died years ago :)

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
if you do that.. other big teams from abroad will have a huge advantage. GL winning the Champ League

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie

Way to go on missing the topic! :p

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sucks when you think Ronaldo on £120,000 a week earns the same in a week as some one on minimal wage earns in 10 years.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Soccer players should be paid like "normal" people imho. I'm really not a big sports fan, but I think it has really gone down the drain, from a nice sport to just lots of money (imho).

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Not like you guys get to see the money on the field anyway, still exactly the same sport.

The players create a lot of money, so they earn a lot of money. It's that easy :p

Dantares

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I think the money needs to be spread around more than just the Premiership. There's more than just one league in England and many teams outside of the Premiership (and some inside) are massively in debt. I fear the days are gone when a small club can make it to the Premiership let alone survive there for a few years.

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
Soccer players should be paid like "normal" people imho. I'm really not a big sports fan, but I think it has really gone down the drain, from a nice sport to just lots of money (imho).

IF sum1 offered u 120k a week to play professional football.. would you?

my guess is u would.

it aint the players fault.. they OFC want to get as much money as they can.. its the clubs urges to win that makes the wages go so high. not the players fault at all.

yes they are overpaid for what they actually do.. but saying that id do there job in a heartbeat for that kinda money.. come to thin of it id do any job i could think of for that sorta cash per week.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
IF sum1 offered u 120k a week to play professional football.. would you?

my guess is u would.

it aint the players fault.. they OFC want to get as much money as they can.. its the clubs urges to win that makes the wages go so high. not the players fault at all.

yes they are overpaid for what they actually do.. but saying that id do there job in a heartbeat for that kinda money.. come to thin of it id do any job i could think of for that sorta cash per week.

Ah but I didn't say it's the players fault =) The problem is, that people pay good money for good work (in that case good players), but while that's ok in real life, I don't think it's ok in sports, because if I want a fair game, every club should have the same starting opportunities and it shouln't depend on some russian oligarch who made his money with oil and stuff. Drugs are forbidden because they give advantages, but it's perfectly ok to have more money and thus buy better players, that's what makes me a bit sad.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Sucks when you think Ronaldo on £120,000 a week earns the same in a week as some one on minimal wage earns in 10 years.

Michael Schumacher was getting £25 million, thats £2 million a month! roughly 400k - 500k a week!

But remember they get taxed more than we probably earn in a good few years!

soze

I am a FH squatter
Michael Schumacher was getting £25 million, thats £2 million a month! roughly 400k - 500k a week!

But remember they get taxed more than we probably earn in a good few years!

I would say i fell sorry for him but even losing 40-50% he will still get 60-70k a week take home so screw him ;)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I would say i fell sorry for him but even losing 40-50% he will still get 60-70k a week take home so screw him ;)

I forgot to mention, they have bank accounts in France or Swiss etc so they dont pay all the stupid tax. They may only pay 20% on the whole amount.

I am no money expert, but there are ways round which all the footballers do. Something along the lines of being paid directly into a foreign account.

Corran

Part of the furniture
I forgot to mention, they have bank accounts in France or Swiss etc so they dont pay all the stupid tax. They may only pay 20% on the whole amount.

I am no money expert, but there are ways round which all the footballers do. Something along the lines of being paid directly into a foreign account.

You can not get around income tax/NI to much really due to the fact they spend most their time in this country, as far as i can remember. Could try being paid through running yourself as a business though and pay yourself dividends but off hand im not sure if this be better for footballers - maybe bug an accountant that floats about the forum.
For other people there really good ways, there a swiss account that certain bands use which if you earn over a certain amount you basically pay pennies in tax however to do that you can not spend more then 30 days or something in the UK which is no big deal :)

Marc

FH is my second home
I dont see why it "sucks" that a player can earn £120k a week? If the club can afford it (which in most cases they can), then whats the problem? It also a great incentive for kids to get off their fat arses and play football rather than playstations.

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
I dont see why it "sucks" that a player can earn £120k a week? If the club can afford it (which in most cases they can), then whats the problem? It also a great incentive for kids to get off their fat arses and play football rather than playstations.

I don't think chasing the big pay check is a good reason to get into the game try love of the sport?

Marc

FH is my second home
You can not get around income tax/NI to much really due to the fact they spend most their time in this country, as far as i can remember. Could try being paid through running yourself as a business though and pay yourself dividends but off hand im not sure if this be better for footballers - maybe bug an accountant that floats about the forum.
For other people there really good ways, there a swiss account that certain bands use which if you earn over a certain amount you basically pay pennies in tax however to do that you can not spend more then 30 days or something in the UK which is no big deal :)

You couldnt set yourself up as a business though as you would only have one customer (the football club you play for) so there would be a status issue and the revenue would be able to challenge it and win in the courts, forcing you to be an employee. However, nearly all footballers have their own company, which they can use for minimising tax on all their other income (from adverts, personal endorsemnets, england appearance monies etc)

There are other ways around avoiding tax and NI with come in the shape of employee trust funds.. Arsenal did it for a few years, but got hit with an £11million tax bill from the revenue which I think they are challenging in the high courts as at the time it was legal. I still think it is legal though and until the loophole is closed, im sure other teams use it too.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Correct :p thats about doulbe the average salary right?

about triple i believe, average salary of a graduate is £24,000 going into work (quickly rises tho) so theyre earning 4 times what most uni graduates will earn in a year, in 1 week.

Corran

Part of the furniture
You couldnt set yourself up as a business though as you would only have one customer (the football club you play for) so there would be a status issue and the revenue would be able to challenge it and win in the courts, forcing you to be an employee. However, nearly all footballers have their own company, which they can use for minimising tax on all their other income (from adverts, personal endorsemnets, england appearance monies etc)

There are other ways around avoiding tax and NI with come in the shape of employee trust funds.. Arsenal did it for a few years, but got hit with an £11million tax bill from the revenue which I think they are challenging in the high courts as at the time it was legal. I still think it is legal though and until the loophole is closed, im sure other teams use it too.

You can register as a business and run it like an agency, it actually something people try to do to get around the benefits system. So what they do is create a company. If somebody wants their services then they have to pay the company, the company then pay the player. The player gets paid less then what the company is paid, however they also pay themself dividends for the shares in the company and as they the only shareholder they can pay out whatever they want.

I think this wouldnt actually be possible though for your wage from the team because of the 3rd party rules that are about. But it is in theory possible if it didnt get screwed up by Fifa/Fa regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom