Shimano Alfine Internal Gear Hub

Chilly

Balls of steel
So I'm going to try one of these out, probably Wednesday, down in Chiswick. My plan is to buy it if I can get up the nearby hill on it as easily (or nearly) as I can with my standard 24 speed.

Evans Cycles | Charge Mixer 2010 Hybrid Bike | Online Bike Shop

I've just spent two hours reading a fucking monster thread about the pros and cons of such internal geared hubs.

The Alfino is an 8speed and has a pretty decent range. Has anyone got one, or got any strong opinions on it?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
only thing I know is that it will add mass to the rear wheel and take about 1000 miles to bed in properly. other than that, I look forward to your review :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
mass isnt really an issue, its not a long ride (to work) and im a big fucker anyway.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
thing is, with all the gubbins being internal, I somewhat expect it to be low maint, or at least bike-shop maint for you, meaning less tools and diy shizzle needed.

they should be near ideal for the average UK commute tbh.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Stick to a rear mech tbh. Simpler, easier to maintain, cheaper, weighs less. You can change wheels easily as well.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Unless there are gradients to be negotiated singlespeed is normally the best option for commuting.

I did look into getting a hub geared bike a coupld of years back. It always seems to come out as the most expensive option though.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Unless there are gradients to be negotiated singlespeed is normally the best option for commuting.

I did look into getting a hub geared bike a coupld of years back. It always seems to come out as the most expensive option though.

3 hills on my commute :) The one im going for is a compromise between getting an ultra-reliable single speed and a fiddly fucking full on 24 speed like my current sirrus.

frankly, I dont care about the money, im getting it at no VAT out of my gross salary so Im getting a vast discount as it is.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Oh and I hear that it's probably good form to replace all the grease once it's worn in a bit, remove all the iron filings that build up after it's been run in. Not sure if I'm hardcore enough to do that myself, but I'll probably give it a go, plenty of guides around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom