Resident Freddy
An insurance company just for women is bullshit anyway :D

If it was the other way around ...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
stupid really really stupid lets get out of europe now

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Shiela's Wheels isn't just for women any more iirc.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Knew this was coming. Does make a bit of a mockery of acturial tables, but the initial complaints were more about the marketing than the price of the service as I understand it. Problem is the EU have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Shiela's Wheels is discriminatory, inasmuch as its exclusive for women, but that doesn't mean women shouldn't have access to cheaper car insurance as their risk is lower.

The downside of this is that insurance will get more expensive for everyone (they'll still do the acturial calculations, but just base everything on an average). The upside is that its going to make it quite difficult for insurance companies to not give you insurance on health/lifestyle grounds.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
its stupid...but... under the equality laws it is illegal

what they will be forced to do is simply base it on age (until that also becomes illegal), in an ideal world this would even out the payments, so men pay slightly less, women slightly more, but what is more likely to happen is everyone pays the highest rate instead

not sure why insurance companies are complaining as they will probably make more money on it!

is there not a system in some parts of europe (holland i think?) where you insure the car, not the person, thus anyone can drive the car removing the whole issue of who pays more?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The statistics they used to generate the artificially lower fees were wrong and flawed anyway. They simply went on numbers of incidents involving women drivers.

They did not consider the amount of accidents per female driver.

They did not consider the amount of accidents per mile.

Women have more accidents per person and per mile than men, so they should be paying HIGHER premiums than men. With this ruling they're STILL getting a good deal.

rynnor

Rockhound
I'm suprised they didnt ban age discrimination too - that would be far more significant.

I shouldnt worry about this though since insurance was already going up by about 30% in the last year it will get lost in the noise.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
all the crash's i've almost been in have been caused by a woman driver, either pulling out infront of me, or too busy on the phone too notice whats going on. Don't see why they shouldn't pay the same.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
may possibly result in a premiums increase

TBH it was only a matter of time before the decision came in.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
A lot of perfectly true stuff about women being shit drivers

I agree waz, apart from one thing - when men have accidents it's MUCH more expensive than the constant shit driving bumps women have.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Basic statistic i saw was when a <30s male has an accident hte repair average is £4400
a <30s female is £2700

They neglect to say how many more accidents that woman have than men though :p

Soon there be a flat fee for insurance without it being risk assessed which will cause chaos. About time we say "Shut the feck up EU! We know the countries statistics, we know the risks, we charge what we want to who we want."

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I don't know why I'm complaining, I'm still waiting for the day they make it illegal to discriminate against people who are lazy fuckers and can't do shit, which if
you follow their logic is but a few years away.

'John you haven't done a tap of work in the five years you have been employed here, you are a lazy, incompetent pillock, so we are sending you on a 12 week course in the Bahamas to impress on you the benefits of lifting a finger, I hope this conversation hasn't offended you?'

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I'm suprised they didnt ban age discrimination too - that would be far more significant.

I shouldnt worry about this though since insurance was already going up by about 30% in the last year it will get lost in the noise.

There is no European-wide law against age discrimination so the European court are unlikely to rule on this. The UK has brought in new laws on age discrimination but they have specific provisions to allow certain things to remain based on age (film classifications and insurance are two I'm pretty sure of)

I'm 32 with 5 years protected no-claims on my insurance. My premium went down when I added my girlfriend (no insurance history, license held for under 5 years). It doesn't seem to make much sense.

That said, I think this will just give the industry an excuse to put up women's insurance to the same level as men's on the grounds of equality. Nice little earner for someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom