Sharp TV's

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Anyone here "knowledgeable" of the workings of the inside of a TV?

Last year (April) i got a brand spanky new TV :

28JF73H_med.jpg

April - I had "Mastercare" out to investigate a fault where the TV was making a terrible buzzing/humming noise to the detriment of viewing pleasure.

They did a botch fix and we had them out again in December for the same problem, but it didnt occur when the "engineer" was present.. Jsut had them back out but, again, the problem didnt recur.

They now want to take the TV away for investigation (worst case 28 days) without providing a "loaner"

Any got any experience of what it may be?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Is it a noise that comes over the speakers, or acoustically from the set itself?

It could be any number of things if the latter. Most likely, the power supply, but it could also be hysterisis from any number of components. Don't be tempted to fiddle around in there, there will be around 10 000 volts across the back of that tube.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Is it a noise that comes over the speakers, or acoustically from the set itself?

It could be any number of things if the latter. Most likely, the power supply, but it could also be hysterisis from any number of components. Don't be tempted to fiddle around in there, there will be around 10 000 volts across the back of that tube.

Tom,

Seems to be a problem with the set itself. The noise can happen when the TV is on or even on Standby mode.

Not happy with the way im being treated and want a replacement TV. Never mess with the "leccy" tho - too much of a scaredy cat.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its most likely the power supply. I recently had a problem with my cd player buzzing while switched on. I opened it up, and the transformer for the cd transport was slightly loose. Tightening the screws sorted it out.

Your tv may not have a traditional wire-wound transformer inside it (although TV's use lots of current, so it probably will), but if it does, and if you can remove the back without invalidating the warranty, then I'd do that, find the transformer, and make certain its properly screwed down/glued in place.

Transformers tend to work themselves loose because of the large magnetic fields surrounding them. Those magnetic fields cause minute vibrations in the body of the transformer and the surrounding materials, and those vibrations can eventually cause the fixing screws to work themselves loose. Most transformers are fixed in place with bolts or threadlocked screws, but some aren't (your TV will be mass produced).

Next time the TV buzzes, walk over to it, and grab the case, giving it a mild shake. The noise will probably stop, or change in pitch.

If it was me, rather than be without a tv for a month, I'd take the back off (leave it unplugged first for at least 3-4 hours to allow the components to discharge), and locate the transformer.

Saying all that, it could be an ancilliary device, that the tranformer is causing to vibrate, even though the transformer might not be loose. Check the screws on the back of the tv are all nice and tight.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
still working this through the warranty process Tom, so dont want to do anything which could be construed as invalidating it.

thanks for the feedback tho. All the "engineer" did on the first visit was to apply "Antivibration tape" :rolleyes:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
heh which is like patching an amputated arm with a plaster.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
agree. Which is why im now trying to exercise my Consumer rights for a new replacement TV.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't think you'll have much luck there, they'll only replace it if its not economically viable to repair it. From the sound of it, it would only take a few hours to repair it.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
I don't think you'll have much luck there, they'll only replace it if its not economically viable to repair it. From the sound of it, it would only take a few hours to repair it.

They've had 9 fecking months !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom