Sharing POP3 E-mail

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I'm not a techie and computers make me nervous... but I need your help gentlemen please.

We have recently subscribed to a POP3 e-mail service and with great rejoicing set-up Windows Live Mail to download and send e-mails. However we want to share the service and inbox and outbox across multiple computers.

When setting up Windows Live Mail on an additional PC the system downloaded e-mails still in the POP3 box on the server (although not all that have been received to date, indicating it clears down at some point). However no sent e-mails have been retained and the second PC has no history of e-mails sent.

What is the simplest solution to our conundrum? Is there a way to keep all installations of Windows Live Mail constantly updated with e-mails in and out, or is this not happening?

Many thanks...

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Would need to switch to a different hosting service, but yes there is that.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have seen this which you could try:

When setting up my WLM on two new Vista computers, I used the following procedure:

1. Create a WLM ID with an "@live.com" ID.
2. Create a Hotmail account using the above "@live.com" ID.
3. Forward email from all external accounts (Cox, Gmail, etc) to the "@live.com" ID address.
4. WLM Email stays synced on both computers and the Hotmail account!

Every time you send/receive on WLM, it will sync the Hotmail account. Then, when you send/receive on another computer, that computer will also sync to the Hotmail account. You can do this on as many computers as you like.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What do you mean by "POP3 e-mail service"? Are you sure IMAP isn't an option?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Check the options and check for an option to leave mail on the server when downloaded. Also look for the save sent items onto the server option. If they are not there maybe try a different mail package. POP3 is normally a read once service but if you sent the account up right it will save the email on the server but you need to watch out for the storage limit in your mailbox.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Turamber said:
What is the simplest solution to our conundrum? Is there a way to keep all installations of Windows Live Mail constantly updated with e-mails in and out, or is this not happening?

Many thanks...
You've had it mentioned a few times. Use IMAP instead of POP3. If your email provider charges extra for IMAP, ditch them. You can get free email with Hotmail or Gmail that you can access from a phone, a PC or a tablet and still have the send/receive history available across all devices. It's all down to configuration of the email program.

I have a .co.uk domain that I pay £5/month (£60/year) hosting for because I want a long-term email address that I have complete control over. I know that some would say I'm paying over the odds but it's more convenient to pay my ISP for broadband and hosting rather than split it to 2 providers.

I think you might need to say who the email provider is and what the email is used for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom