Shaolin Monks to compete in MMA LOL!

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
"Mr. Mijatovic contacted InsideFighting on Tuesday to report his latest project. I am proud to announce the launch of the official China Shaolin Kung Fu team; this is the only official fighting team of Shaolin. We are the exclusive representatives of the team. I hope to debut the team in a large-scale tournament in Asia later this year,Mijatovic said. Fans of the traditional arts will undoubtedly find cause for celebration over this exciting news."

lol if they enter any proper MMA event those chaps are gonna get their heads kicked clean off, Kung Fu is about as combat effective as a pair of sunglasses on a bloke with one ear.

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
Yes they will get their asses kicked.. will be fun to watch though :)

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
Yaemon said:
Yes they will get their asses kicked.. will be fun to watch though :)

Hope they enter a proper mma event, and not some freaky event, would love to see the top "masters" fight in Pride or UFC, Fedor would remove their faces and would love to see Wanderlei Silva knee ones teeth thru the back of their heed :)

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
Repent Reloaded said:
I saw them monks perform in the empire thee in liverpool...... I'd kick'em all in.
typical soldier responce :eek:

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
HerculesPluto said:
mixed martial arts, the term used for events such as Ultimate Fighting and PRIDE,
PRIDE is a swedish gay festival :eek7:

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Wasnt Ultimate Fighting that kinda new sport where there was alota ground work etc and a few people had allready died (and it started in the towns near me xD), I saw a prog. about something with a similar name anyway.. lotsa people wanted it banned.

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
harebear said:
Wasnt Ultimate Fighting that kinda new sport where there was alota ground work etc and a few people had allready died (and it started in the towns near me xD), I saw a prog. about something with a similar name anyway.. lotsa people wanted it banned.

noone has ever died in UFC or PRIDE (the 2 big worldwoide MMA Events)

its far safer than boxing AND WWF style pro wrestling, all the reports ppl saw on news were about that idiot senator in usa trying to get it banned, Hes still not seen 1 bout and yes theres a hell of a lot of groundwork.

In the beginning any1 with a proper ground fighting technique would beat all kickboxer types simply coz once the standup fighter was on the floor they had no idea what to do, these days everyone of the top fighters are a hybrid of arts with the main focus on Mua Thai and Brazilian Jui Jistu, there are a lot more rules than there used to be, not for safety but for a spectacle, they stand fighters up if nothing appears to be happening on the ground etc.. theres a load of weight classes like boxing, and PRIDE is huge in japan, and i DARE you to call someone like Mirko filipich a gay :)

UFC is the one in the octagon (cage)based out of USA primarily and got all the attention back in 93 when it started, PRIDE is set in a standard ring and has a much better rep amongst its countrymen, (japan) since they have a much better understanding of the whole martial arts world, USA just see it as dry humping whenever a match "goes to ground" thats it for MMA ranting :)

Oh yeh, the 3rd big org is known as K-1, you will hear about it a LOT more once Tyson ends up going there if he loses a rematch to Danny Williams, they have a SHITLOAD of cash and K-1 Fight Rules are essentially all stand up fighting, so boxers have a better chance, you see lots of kickboxers in this and the odd boxer, they do hold the odd "boxing only" rules match as well as proper MMA matches on their events but moslty K-1 Rules, someone like tyson wont go NEAR a K-1 style match, they will put him in with 5 tomatoe cans then a proper K-1 Fighter under strict Boxing rules. so they all can farm the cash :)

Btw yes its all REAL fighting, none of the scripted entertainment you see in the WWE(F)

I myself prefer the early UFCs or even Earlier Brazilian Vale Tudo events where there really were NO RULES, no weight limits no rounds, just 2 guys in a ring/mat/cage.

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
Extreme Championship Wrestling > all. Gotta love seeing people break arms, legs, etc :)

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
HerculesPluto said:
lol if they enter any proper MMA event those chaps are gonna get their heads kicked clean off
i think u underestimate the ancient arts :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
the only mixed style tournies iv ever seen have been absolute bullshit, some **** who is 50 dan judo godmodepwn wtf1337**** gos ad grapples the dude and sits on him for half an hour til he gives up.

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
Konah said:
I think you overestimate loads of circus sideshow freaks pretending to be real shaolin :D :m00: :kissit:

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
Not that fond of grappling contests a la utlimate fighting.. mma and K1 is a lot more fun to watch because lack of clinch n grapple.. the ultimate spectator sport if u ask me.

Eurosport (in sweden) has quite good coverage of mma/K1 tourneys and matches.. usually a 1.5h show each weekend.

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
Boobz said:
I think you overestimate loads of circus sideshow freaks pretending to be real shaolin :D :m00: :kissit:

I've seen the shaolinshow that tours europe and it's like u say.. a circusact. The are skilled at what they do.. swinging swords and chains etc but I dont think they would last long in a K1/mma ring... good muay thai fighters usually perform good though.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I've seen the shaolinshow that tours europe and it's like u say.. a circusact. The are skilled at what they do.. swinging swords and chains etc but I dont think they would last long in a K1/mma ring... good muay thai fighters usually perform good though.
Thats cus its all for show on a stage, they over-emphasise things to make it look good etc..
Considering they were there to protect the emporer in their prime id say they would have a good chance unless ofc they have let things slip :p
just my 2 cents
Also note most people who train with shaolin end up being bodyguards
(saw a tv program about it :))

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Thats cus its all for show on a stage, they over-emphasise things to make it look good etc..
Considering they were there to protect the emporer in their prime id say they would have a good chance unless ofc they have let things slip :p
just my 2 cents

Im not saying shaolin kungfu is bad.. Im just saying other styles are more suited for mma/k1 and that I believe they would get their asses kicked if they joined a decent mma/k1 tourney. Many of them would probably compete in lower weight classes (never seen a fat monk ;)) where the best (imo) thai fighters compete.

And m8.. take a 3 month course and you get the right to call yourself a bodyguard ;)

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
Conchabar said:
can u watch it on tv in the uk? im quite interested

eurosport show some K-1 stuff, sentanda sports show the odd UFC PPV as does sky box office, there was a highlight show of the UFC shown on sky too last year, best place to see matches is a "site" with "nova" and ORG at the end

if ya smell what im cooking :)

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
Konah said:

hehe ancient arts with zero real combat experience, the myth of all these single so called ancient arts was dismissed about 80 years ago, the funniest being all these world champion karatekas being ass raped 1 by 1 by middle of the road Muay Thai fighters in mma matches back in the 70s or 80s. MMA is a totally different pond to all these arts that only face fellow practitioners(splelling?) too tired to bother :D

A couple of these myths generated by films and idiots alike, a certain ACTOR known as Bruce Lee for a start and the guy Van Damn played in Bloodsport - Frank Dux

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
just my 2 cents

these body guards were only good vs ppl with no combat skill at all, and its not exactly 1v1 back in those days either :)

stick any Kung fu/karate whatever master in a K-1 or Pride ring and vs any middle of the road MMA fighter from today and watch them get their arses handed to them :)

To compete in todays Mixed Martial Arts world you need a good knowledge in MANY different arts, something these masters never want to do or beleive in.

All the top fighters in Pride and UFC are Hybrids, usually with strong Kickboxing and BJJ skill mixed with wrestling takedowns, someone like Fedor Emielenko or Wanerdlei Silva are great examples of cross training and both HARD HARD dudes :) Silvas face is hilarious too, he really does look like his nickname "The Axe Murderer"

Chronictank

FH is my second home
world champion karatekas being ass raped 1 by 1 by middle of the road Muay Thai fighters in mma matches back in the 70s or 80s
Theres a difference between being good at a art and technical enough to win at tornament level. Tornaments are minimal contact and very technical you want to get clean points rather than knock the shit out of sum1, so i have no doubt that people who win martial arts tournys are gona get 10 bells knocked out of them.
Imo it just depends how they go about this, whether they send people who are fighting in a tournament or people who are better at free style, or perhaps just wanabes posing as shao lin monks :p
time will tell

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Theres a difference between being good at a art and technical enough to win at tornament level. Tornaments are minimal contact and very technical you want to get clean points rather than knock the shit out of sum1, so i have no doubt that people who win martial arts tournys are gona get 10 bells knocked out of them.
Imo it just depends how they go about this, whether they send people who are fighting in a tournament or people who are better at free style, or perhaps just wanabes posing as shao lin monks :p
time will tell

time has already told, tournaments are not MMA, picking any fighter from these tournaments are dropping them in a MMA fight with pretty much any1 with real combat experience will end in a bad beating, wbeing the best in your single art is a good start to enter the world of mma, not the finish, and certainly dont mean you will get any success in an MMA match.

for comedy look for UFC 2, from 93/94 really funny, some dude who was a ninjitsu vs a guy called Patrick Smith, its the clip the idiots who try to get it banned usually use when showing how BRUTAL AND DANGEROUS the MMA world is, that was back inthe day when it really was Martial Art style vs Martial Art Style, and the guys who dominated those events were the grapplers, the boxer who decided to use ONE glove is a legend too :D

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
HerculesPluto said:
hehe ancient arts with zero real combat experience, the myth of all these single so called ancient arts was dismissed about 80 years ago,

Uhmm, yeah, sure. On which planet did this happen?

Of course, this is not to dis the mma tournaments in anyway. These guys really do know how to fight and fight scary hard. But most of what I'm reading in this dissing Shaolin Kung Fu is mostly hot air without much evidence to back it up. Particularly about their lack of experience of being in an actual, re- full contact, fight.

Not that I know how many full contact fights these guys have been in, but I doubt anyone here does either. Hence, its all hot air.

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
Sendraks said:
Uhmm, yeah, sure. On which planet did this happen?

Of course, this is not to dis the mma tournaments in anyway. These guys really do know how to fight and fight scary hard. But most of what I'm reading in this dissing Shaolin Kung Fu is mostly hot air without much evidence to back it up. Particularly about their lack of experience of being in an actual, re- full contact, fight.

Not that I know how many full contact fights these guys have been in, but I doubt anyone here does either. Hence, its all hot air.

even bruce lee said, "it looks good, but it doesn't work." which is why he started to try to make a hybrid martial art, all of these mythical martial artists who pull off lots of magic tricks may look good but most have never been in a full contact fight and when they do, they are hideously outmatched due to their inability to move with the times, stuff that worked 2000 years ago dont work anymore, ESPECIALLY in the MMA scene, whch is where this Shaolin is attempting to "crack" good luck to them if they get in the ring with NO respect for the world they are entering just because they assume they must own everyone coz they spend 16 hours a day learning how to break bricks, they will get raped and raped royally, only this time their circus show will be exposed to the fighting public, the whole fight world got turned on it head 11 years ago and people are learning what works and what dont.

Its not Shaolin cussing or hot air, its general amusement at the idea of these guys entering MMA with the attitude they have, its like Stallone becomming a pro boxer or Hulk Hogan entering the Olympic Greco-Roman Team.

The bottom line is they will get stomped by chute boxers, ground and pounded by grapplers, outwrestled by American guys and submited by BJJ/Sambo guys if they enter the ring doing strict Kung Fu, and the arrogance of such arts has been diminished since they challanged Thai's, their form of kung fu uses mostly Muay Thai techniques now in these tournaments so they last a bit longer.

You might find these urls interesting, and take into account they are not the WORLD CLASS MMA fighters ppl are today, they were just pure the average Muay Thai vs Traditional Kung Fu fighters(masters) Dont forget the site this is from is a very pro kung fu site too

http://crane.50megs.com/index6d.htm
http://crane.50megs.com/index6q.htm

and the following url shows what happend in the 20s when some Kung Fu dudes took on VERY EARLY Thai fighters

http://crane.50megs.com/index6r.htm

I dont have anything against Kung Fu or any of the other arts, im just mentionning what happens when a flashy martial art takes on a battle ready art or hybrid, you will notice the sport of 'Sanshou' is basically Muay Thai, it looks and fights nothing like any form of Traditional Kung Fu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom