SF = awsome!

Aada

Part of the furniture
Man this game just got 100% better night time maps are freaking great.

(nothing like sneaking up on some newb who don't use nightvision and knifing him in the back)

Apache = death from above.

Hooks/zip take a while getting used to but if you are in a premade sqaud and are working together the limits are endless.

Only bad thing is if you struggled running BF2 this game will blow your computer up.

Luckily i upgraded just before :) x850 pro 256mb and now 2 gigs of ram = sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :p

Poag

m00?
glad someone else has played it aside me.

i was runnign aorund on the 32 man servers against bots and empty 64 man maps.

yeah the dark is cool...but wtach out for the frigging mini genrators. Was charging along in my ATV and hit one....flip flip flip roll crunch....booom

They are perfectly black so even NVG doens't show them up ):

Also...did you ffind that NVG made the ground uniformly black in dark areas?

Assault + Spec ops + Support + Medic = you can get anywhere and fight from it :)

Poag

m00?
sounds like a wasp stuck in a bottle.

Aside that its pretty speedy and supriesingly doens't blow up that easy.

i took the new spec ops gun and emtpied a mag into it and it didn't start smoking, i'm guessing that players would die before that tho.

C4 seems too have gotten a boost and has a large "kill" area now aswell.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Gale said:
sounds like a wasp stuck in a bottle.

Aside that its pretty speedy and supriesingly doens't blow up that easy.

i took the new spec ops gun and emtpied a mag into it and it didn't start smoking, i'm guessing that players would die before that tho.

C4 seems too have gotten a boost and has a large "kill" area now aswell.

Heh yeah its alot of fun.

Tip... don't run around mountains with no NV on :p i've lost count how many mountains ive fell down now and killed myself :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer said:
Not that impressed tbh.

Really? why?

I think the night maps are the best.. Devils Perch is my fav

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Aada said:
Really? why?

I think the night maps are the best.. Devils Perch is my fav

I'm not having much fun on the night maps, too much of a snipers' paradise for me, particularly the airfield one. The other problem is just the code, its a laggy POS half the time, particularly inside buildings. It reminds me (a lot) of the bigger (and laggier) DC maps, like Urban Siege, which is no surprise of course given where the Trauma guys ended up. I'm running a decent spec machine with a lot of RAM and an X800 Pro and its not great. Plus, what's going on with the load times? A couple of times when I played last night it actually looked like it had crashed to desktop before coming back up again, and it keeps 'optimising shaders'.

The new weapons are alright I suppose, but the Hind is stupid (why is it two seat only?), the BMP weak, and flashbangs just annoying. Ziplines are fun, but not worth the price of admission.

Oh, and the British accents are quite possibly the worst I've heard since Dick Van Dyke

Aada

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer said:
I'm not having much fun on the night maps, too much of a snipers' paradise for me, particularly the airfield one. The other problem is just the code, its a laggy POS half the time, particularly inside buildings. It reminds me (a lot) of the bigger (and laggier) DC maps, like Urban Siege, which is no surprise of course given where the Trauma guys ended up. I'm running a decent spec machine with a lot of RAM and an X800 Pro and its not great. Plus, what's going on with the load times? A couple of times when I played last night it actually looked like it had crashed to desktop before coming back up again, and it keeps 'optimising shaders'.

The new weapons are alright I suppose, but the Hind is stupid (why is it two seat only?), the BMP weak, and flashbangs just annoying. Ziplines are fun, but not worth the price of admission.

Oh, and the British accents are quite possibly the worst I've heard since Dick Van Dyke

The game runs great on my computer..

amd 64 3400

2 gig ram

400 gig hdd

x850 256mb.

As for the night maps.. yeah it can be annoying getting pwnd every 2 seconds but i think they are the most fun.

One thing that is fucked up is the balance between the sides.. US/SAS get nice weapons with scopes etc while the other side are still running round with AKs.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer said:

Makes me chuckle anyway :) Makes my getting wasted over and over again by another bunny hopping moron liveable. Some of the SAS maps are very good - particularly like the one with the palace and the deserted town where you fight the Russki's.

DaGaffer

Hmm, warming to it. Still have big problems with the night maps (I maintain the code ain't up handling lots on screen and then switching nightvision on) but I like all of the other maps. But I stand by what I said about the BMP and the Hind. Oh, and what's up with the SAS assault rifle? (F2000?) It looks cool but its crap. The medic's G36 is far better.

E@syL@y

Fledgling Freddie
Only played a few maps which are ok but to be honest I see this more as an update not an addon .. this is nothing new ok a few new toys maps and night visoin but was it worth £20 ? nah if this was a CSS update U would have got it free EA sux and is a rip off those who aint got it dont waste ya money £20 is almost a shag from a whore in amsterdam and believe me that would be money well spent ! re the PC stuff ... I drank 3 whiskys and smoked 2 cigs when the video settings optimised ! Gh3y

Poag

m00?
i talked about this in IRC last gnith and thought about it on the way too work this morning.

The SF server is now in 32 man mode, hopefully this will spark it a bit more too get more players.

Secondly I have returned the Urban/Wake Server but in 32 man mode.

Each servers has 1 [one] empty slot due too the lower player cap.

Aada

Part of the furniture
E@syL@y said:
Only played a few maps which are ok but to be honest I see this more as an update not an addon .. this is nothing new ok a few new toys maps and night visoin but was it worth £20 ? nah if this was a CSS update U would have got it free EA sux and is a rip off those who aint got it dont waste ya money £20 is almost a shag from a whore in amsterdam and believe me that would be money well spent ! re the PC stuff ... I drank 3 whiskys and smoked 2 cigs when the video settings optimised ! Gh3y

Get a better pc instead of that 4 year old one you still have :)

DaGaffer

Aada said:
Get a better pc instead of that 4 year old one you still have :)

My PC is less than a year old, has a decent graphics card and still struggles. Unless I want to take my RAM from 1 to 2 gig I reckon I'm going to carry on struggling, and tbh, 180 on new RAM seems an awful lot to pay to run a 20 quid expansion pack. While I accept that BF, particularly in SF mode, is an ambitious game in what it tries to do, I look at other games and wonder why Dice have made such a memory hog.

Aada

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer said:
My PC is less than a year old, has a decent graphics card and still struggles. Unless I want to take my RAM from 1 to 2 gig I reckon I'm going to carry on struggling, and tbh, 180 on new RAM seems an awful lot to pay to run a 20 quid expansion pack. While I accept that BF, particularly in SF mode, is an ambitious game in what it tries to do, I look at other games and wonder why Dice have made such a memory hog.

Dude its pretty simple... there are 100+ things going on at once.. tanks/choppers/sqaud fights/night/smoke/flash/ropes etc

they all add up into the game.. i had 1gig last week but upgraded to 2gig tbh games (especially online games) will start to require atleast 1.5gig ram to run smoothly we are getting into that era now where 1gig is the minimum if you want a nice performance.

Out of interest what is your set up? mine is

AMD 64 3400

2GIG ddr 400

400 gig hdd

x850pro 256mb

I run the game on everything high full AA and i only notice a slight bit of stutter when the game first starts and everyone is joining the game apart from that the game runs a dream.

Some guy could say CS:S looks/runs better then BF2 but then i could argue that not alot goes off in that game for it to require alot of hardware last time i played it which was about 2 months ago i played it for 2 hours and the game went exactly the same as the last game.. same routes/chokepoints = bored to tears.

Clown

Part of the furniture
It runs fine on my AMD 2500+, 1GB RAM and 6800 Ultra. I suppose it's the graphics card that carries it, but it isn't jerky and it looks beautiful. Remember, a lot has changed in the past year :)

Poag

m00?
I have AMD 4000+ 2gig of DDR 3200 ram X850XT PXI-E

Run it on 1280 all the fruit...looks nice :)

DaGaffer

AMD 64 3200+
1 GB DDR SD RAM
X800 Pro 256Mb
300Gb HD

In other words, apart from the RAM, not that much different from yours. This isn't a low-spec machine and shouldn't struggle, and tbh, before the 1.12 patch, it didn't much (any problems tended to be broadband related). Now it does, and even the graphics card struggles on the night maps at the (high) settings I used to run; the day maps are OK, but on the night ones I get frame drops and some nasty artefacts popping up. I haven't checked to see if there are any new ATI drivers lately, but I doubt they'll help. As for not seeing this kind of problem in other games, I wasn't thinking of CS, but rather games like WoW and Joint Ops, which also have good graphics and a lot going on, but don't struggle as much. If I was a one off, I'd chalk it up to experience, but take a look at the EA boards or some of the other BF boards, and you'll see I'm not alone.

Aada

Part of the furniture
dont get me wrong dude there is alot of room for improvments for the game :)

I don't like the fact that it was the team that made BF:V that made this expansion and we all know the balance issues in that game :(

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Have to agree with the system requirements of the game. My machine is pretty decent, being only a year old, but seriously struggles with the night maps. If I walk within 10 feet of a building my weapon moves about crazily of its own volition - which makes my already suspect aiming even worse. Plus when I use the nightvision goggles the system clearly slows down.

Shame because the night maps are great eye candy.

Noob question ... can one use the new weapon sets in the old game maps?

DaGaffer

Turamber said:
Have to agree with the system requirements of the game. My machine is pretty decent, being only a year old, but seriously struggles with the night maps. If I walk within 10 feet of a building my weapon moves about crazily of its own volition - which makes my already suspect aiming even worse. Plus when I use the nightvision goggles the system clearly slows down.

Shame because the night maps are great eye candy.

Noob question ... can one use the new weapon sets in the old game maps?

Yes, but you can't use the zip line or grappeling hooks. You CAN use flashbangs (which is a bit unfair imho). Not sure about about gas (which would be really unfair as vanilla BF players don't have gasmasks)

Redh3lix

Fledgling Freddie
Your FPS will drop by approximately 20 fps when you use the NVG's according to most posts at BF2Nation. One person got over this by turning off dynamic light and altering the gamma settings from the graphics card. Now he doesn't use NVG at all and has experienced a good FPS increase.

I must admit, there are some nice maps and weapons within the expansion, but it takes sooo much longer to load than vanilla BF2, and even then, you get performance issues and graphical artefacts throughout.

I'm hoping the next patch will address much of these issues in performance.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
DaGaffer said:
vanilla BF players don't have gasmasks)

you smell bad enough as is :eek:

;)

I used to have killer lag/stuttering/extremely slow performance with vanilla BF2 on the FH servers. I tweaked extensively but nothing seemed to help. This went away (at least on other servers, not played on FH yet) when I moved the game to a separate drive. (I also upgraded to 2GB, but that's another story.) I have the same cpu as you do, but o/c'd it to 2500MHz. D'you think it would help if you tried that trick?

DaGaffer

TdC said:
you smell bad enough as is :eek:

;)

I used to have killer lag/stuttering/extremely slow performance with vanilla BF2 on the FH servers. I tweaked extensively but nothing seemed to help. This went away (at least on other servers, not played on FH yet) when I moved the game to a separate drive. (I also upgraded to 2GB, but that's another story.) I have the same cpu as you do, but o/c'd it to 2500MHz. D'you think it would help if you tried that trick?

I smell fragrant and lovely at all times* thank you. I think I'll try the RAM upgrade first before I start fucking about with overclocking. As Deebs will attest, its a very dangerous thing to let me anywhere near the interior of a PC at the best of times. I can just about manage a RAM upgrade without burning down the house**.

*May not be true
** Also may not be true

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
that will certainly benefit your performance, though I'm inclined to advise an extra disk as well. if your poota bahaves anything like mine doze will be trying to load a BF2 map and swap ram to disk at the same time. that reeks tbh, and there are tweaks to get around it (check RedHelix's forum, where the tweaks are explained in detail), basically telling doze not to swap out to disk unless it's critical to do so. loading BF2 on one disk and the doze swap file on another gives you a performance gain. more ram gives you another performance gain, but you have to get the data off your disk first.

hearing you guys talk about the SF expansion's performance makes me not want it really. I don't fancy time to watch telly or have a wank in between map loading, nor am I inclined to look forward to a 20fps performance drop every time I feel like actually seeing where I'm going :/

Aada

Part of the furniture
i don't see any fps drop tbh well i don't get frame rate lag except when i enter the game for for about 4 seconds thats since i upgraded to 2 gig ram :)

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
that reeks tbh, and there are tweaks to get around it (check RedHelix's forum, where the tweaks are explained in detail), basically telling doze not to swap out to disk unless it's critical to do so. l

I've just googled but can't find what you speak of. I wanna give this a go cos my map loading is taking fucking ages. I actully get to the end of the music before I'm in game.

I have 1.5gb RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom