Advice Setting up your own email address

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I have decided I am not happy with having my email address with google and would like to set up my own, ie me@whatever.com

Anyone have any idea how much this costs and the best way of going about it? If I buy a domain name would I be able to do this easily? What about pop3 settings and whatnot?

Ta!

Yrendan

Can't get enough of FH
I have decided I am not happy with having my email address with google and would like to set up my own, ie me@whatever.com

Anyone have any idea how much this costs and the best way of going about it? If I buy a domain name would I be able to do this easily? What about pop3 settings and whatnot?

Ta!

Get a domain name and use google mail for business its like 10 free emails uname@domain.com 5GB mailbox
http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/products.html#gmail
If you have DNS services with another host add google mx records.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
You can setup a mail and webserver without an domain (use your ip number) on your own computer. But I'd prolly buy a domain name and server space which will include a mailserver. Costs something like €10 a year and one time €6 for registration of the domain name.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Ohh and please don't use Google mail. The just added a new policy in which they state they can use and save your stuffs indefinitely. Which is a bit too long for me.

Yrendan

Can't get enough of FH
Or you can do what Tuthmes said :p But if you setup a mail server at home using your static remember to mx record your static ip hostname and then CNAME it to a mail.domain.com hostname.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah that's why I am pretty fed up with google. If you aren't paying for a product, you are the product.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Thanks both. Can you recommend a good provider?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Well the advantage of Google is it's storage space (others have it aswell). Which you won't be having if you buy a domain + server (300/500MB - 1GB). But that was years ago, so it might be a lot higher aswell now. I don't live in England (not like it really matters) so I don't really have an idea about providers in England.

The advantage is that you can make an unlimited amount of mail names and control them yourself.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Also you could make a mix of just buy'ing the domain name and redirecting it to your computer (DNS). I know how it works, but I can't tell you how to set it up. This would address the space issue, but leaves you with a computer that has to run 24/7 at your home (and possible bandwidth issues). If you look at the power consumption, etc, etc an external server (provider) prolly still is smarter.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
we need somat like bwmail, maybe fhmail!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've had a domain for the last 10 years mainly to have a long-term email address that doesn't change with each ISP.
Originally the domain was hosted with 123-reg and used my ISP's mail relay, but I switched control and hosting to my current ISP and I've had no problems. Some people might think £60/year is an extravagance but it means there is always an email address for everyone in the family, everyone can access it from their PC or phone, and it uses the host's spam blocks as well as my own.
I also use the hosting space as a place to drop pictures or files I want to share out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom