Servers..

K

kreza

I know Linux is far more stable than the piece of shit we call windows, but wot difference does a linuc Server Make compared to a Windows Server..?

X

Xtro

The answer? Suicide.

Durkheim's initial effort at such a definition indeed followed common usage, according to which a "suicide" is any death which is the immediate or eventual result of a positive (e.g., shooting oneself) or negative (e.g., refusing to eat) act accomplished by the victim himself.2 But here Durkheim immediately ran into difficulties, for this definition failed to distinguish between two very different sorts of death: the victim of hallucination who leaps from an upper story window while thinking it on a level with the ground; and the sane individual who does the same thing knowing that it will lead to his death. The obvious solution -- i.e., to restrict the definition of suicide to actions intended to have this result -- was unacceptable to Durkheim for at least two reasons. First, as we have seen (p. 64 above), Durkheim consistently tried to define social facts by easily ascertainable characteristics, and the intentions of agents were ill-fitted to this purpose. Second, the definition of suicide by the end sought by the agent would exclude actions -- e.g., the mother sacrificing herself for her child -- in which death is clearly not "sought" but is nonetheless an inevitable consequence of the act in question, and is thus a "suicide" by any other name.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Xtro
The answer? Suicide.

Durkheim's initial effort at such a definition indeed followed common usage, according to which a "suicide" is any death which is the immediate or eventual result of a positive (e.g., shooting oneself) or negative (e.g., refusing to eat) act accomplished by the victim himself.2 But here Durkheim immediately ran into difficulties, for this definition failed to distinguish between two very different sorts of death: the victim of hallucination who leaps from an upper story window while thinking it on a level with the ground; and the sane individual who does the same thing knowing that it will lead to his death. The obvious solution -- i.e., to restrict the definition of suicide to actions intended to have this result -- was unacceptable to Durkheim for at least two reasons. First, as we have seen (p. 64 above), Durkheim consistently tried to define social facts by easily ascertainable characteristics, and the intentions of agents were ill-fitted to this purpose. Second, the definition of suicide by the end sought by the agent would exclude actions -- e.g., the mother sacrificing herself for her child -- in which death is clearly not "sought" but is nonetheless an inevitable consequence of the act in question, and is thus a "suicide" by any other name.

ask a silly question, get a silly answer

X

Xtro

If you want to argue with Durkheim, you'll have to go through me, Marx, Engels and the mob, buddy!

G

GDW

I dont know, wot difference does a linuc Server Make compared to a Windows Server..?

..this is a joke right??:)

/waits for punchline

A

adams901

is linux a game, when is it released, will it be better than halflife 2?

M

mank!

Darlington chairman George Reynolds has denied the club's new commercial supremo Michael Knighton has departed Feethams.
Knighton - who leapt to fame with his ultimately unsuccessful bid to buy Manchester United in 1989 - went on to buy Carlisle before later selling the club to Irish businessman John Courtenay.

Knighton resurfaced at Feethams as commercial manager last month, but it had been claimed he has now left the Quakers.

Reynolds told the Northern Echo: "I don't know where these rumours come from but they are completely untrue.

"He's been a great help to me personally and he has been a tremendous help to the club.

"He is still helping the club out and he fully intends to continue with his role as commercial manager."

Reynolds had reportedly expected Knighton to bring in around £1m of revenue over the coming months as the club moves to a new stadium.

I

icemaiden

Can i just say i think u guys are being a bit nasty, Kreza asked what i can see is a perfectly good question, for one i wouldn't know the answer.
Most of you moan here constantly about the forums/servers being slow/dead, perhaps ppl simply come here, look at this crap, and go elsewhere. :(
None of u had to answer, u could've sat back giggling like the ickle children u obviously are :p

M

mank!

That's ironic, seeing as the majority of posts you make in here seem to be moaning at the regulars.

I

icemaiden

Sorry mank but i'd say most of the time i post i'm not moaning, or bitching or generally being rude to ppl that ask a genuine question. :)

G

Gumbo

It's not really a question though, need more specifics, is he interested in game servers, webservers, whatever.

For instance the BF1942 Linux dedicated server is still bloody awful, but the Windows one goes great.

I am in no way qualified to answer a more specific question, but I knew he was in trouble the moment he hit the Submit New Thread button.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by icemaiden
Can i just say i think u guys are being a bit nasty, Kreza asked what i can see is a perfectly good question, for one i wouldn't know the answer.
Most of you moan here constantly about the forums/servers being slow/dead, perhaps ppl simply come here, look at this crap, and go elsewhere. :(
None of u had to answer, u could've sat back giggling like the ickle children u obviously are :p

Its not a perfectly good question though, it's an essay title maybe (if spelled correctly), but not a good question.

M

Meatballs

A freebsd website rates freebsd as the best o/s? Shocker! ;)

M

Mr.Monkey

Originally posted by ]-[avoc
I know Linux is far more stable than the piece of shit we call windows, but wot difference does a linuc Server Make compared to a Windows Server..?
You could write a phd thesis on that.
And windows servers are great. Newb friendly, and very little downtime in my experience.

But basically, if you can't answer your own question, stick to windows (p.s. windows server is different to windows client).

otherwise I suggest www.google.com

K

kreza

sorry, about the linuc (x) spelling error, it is a perfectly good Question, and obviously i ment game servers, not web servers, also linux is a far better OS especially BSD, security and stability wise, for instance SoBig F doesnt infect macs or linux systems, i know, i know, it isnt a virus its a windows exploit, but the fact of the matter is that there are hardly EVER any exploits for mac or linux machines, this is due to the fact that it is a MUCH better OS.

M

mookie

Originally posted by kreza
but the fact of the matter is that there are hardly EVER any exploits for mac or linux machines, this is due to the fact that it is a MUCH better OS.

thats not true, the reason there is far less exploits for *nix/mac is that they occupy a far less market share than windows machines. its just a coincidence that that happen to be better (opinions? :)) operating systems.
I personally use macOSX(2.6), windows XP (patched to fuck hehe) and redhat 9 (i know i know) and i like them all for different things.

M

Mellow-

heh, that guy said Linux :p

Why you think Linux is free??? it's because it's so crap no one would buy it :clap:

M

mookie

Originally posted by Mellow-
heh, that guy said Linux :p

Why you think Linux is free???

I dont think SCO would like that comment heh

M

mookie

SCO are claiming that the linux kernel is using pieces of SCO's copyrighted UNIX code, and thus demandidng a hefty license(sp?) fee.
much more on the subect can be found on slashdot

they're kinda taking the piss really

Users who are viewing this thread