Servers and whats happening all read

I

iziz-minx

Important notice : Game password being changed.
[2003-26-08]

Hello,

These last days, you have probably noticed unusual things on Dark Age of Camelot :

Shutdown of Rightnow !, our customer service tool.
Shutdown of the subscription system.
Unusual events on the Prydwen server.
Since the 18th of August, Dark Age of Camelot Europe has been the victim of computer crime, like many other well known online services.

GOA's technical team immediately implemented a series of preventive measures, which resulted in the shutdown of our customer service tool, Rightnow !, and of the subscription system.

We have also lodged a complaint with the competent authorities.

As a cautionary measure, we have decided to change your "game" passwords. The game servers should thus be stopped for a maximum of 5 hours. The procedure of sending the mails should take about 24 hours, so do not worry if you do not receive your email right away.

In the days to come we are going to process the change of all "subscription" passwords. Services shutdowns are thus planned in order to finalise the reinforcement of the security measures of our platform.

We will keep you informed during the week of the precise planning for the restart of the different services, and we are doing everything possible to ensure once again an optimal service.

The DAoC Team

G

Gesp

Originally posted by iziz-minx
The game servers should thus be stopped for a maximum of 5 hours. The procedure of sending the mails should take about 24 hours.
Servers will go up but we wont be able to play, w00t, great work goa!

S

spankya

Important notice : Game password being changed.
[2003-26-08]

In the days to come we are going to process the change of all "subscription" passwords.

Oh look... GOA can suddenly change people's sub passwords... Am sure all the people that have been hacked before will really appreciate it, after being told at the time that GOA cannot change people's sub passwords and so people's accounts could get hacked over and over again..

S

spankya

I love the 24 hours part lol

I could change 6000 user passwords and send out all the emails in about 15-30 mins here at work using a VB script.... it takes GOA 24 hours to change their passwords..

nice

S

silverblast

Thanks to whoever did that computer crime I lost 90% of what I have...

H

horank@thebaron

mmmm servers are up and i cant enter

C

cercela

well giv them some time. They are sending out the emails yes, but they say 24 hours so that people dont get upset it takes some time.

True with a scrip you could change it quickly. But they are probably taking time to make sure no accounts lose anything thats rightfuly theirs.

I'm ok with this really if they at least giv us another day on our subcription since we cant log in.

GOA has a lot of screw ups but I imagine its a pretty hard job trying to keep 10000 acounts happy. While I disagree with some of their decisions i still think we should be a bit leniant on the time. Its one day most so they say. Go take a walk and enjoy the outdoors or something.

P

pecka

The main problem or frustration for a lot of people is imo that Mythic has none of these problems whatsoever and they cater for a much larger playerbase, servers and customer-service.

Tie that in with the fact that any problems Mythic had with the workings of the game when introducing new content, GOA had several months forewarning and still managed to cock it up.

As for GOA blaming this on some hacker, well yes, they got access through one channel or another, if it is so easy, why did the hacker not do the exact same on Mythics servers ... because they cannot... because Mythic have obviously got better security or less loop-holes to exploit?

Come to think of it, what the heck does someone spawning Legion and friends in Emain have to do with users account security? Baffles me and makes me suspicious that GOA are not being entirely truthfull as to the extent that this hacker/s managed to go or gain access to ...

E

Easdown

RAAAAAAAA I really liked my passwords i memorized em and could input em in about 2 secs GRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H

horank@thebaron

somebody got all rdy his new password and can play daoc?

C

censi

guys, its a security issue and they are acting in the best interest of their customers.

you think they want to reset everyones account details??

they are dealing with the problem. So for one evening we cant play daoc. be patient its not the end of the world.

Be more worried if they had said nothing and everyones account details were published on the net by some malicious hackor.

O

offalthwaite

I know it sounds daft, but heres another POV...

Goa claimed to have sacked various people from various departments over the past 2 years, due to the forementioned cockups, and could it probably be an internal problem with ex-staff, not external????

If there was a serious compromise of your security, GOA would inform, and you would all be given a WARNING to emphasise this.

From the news posts, this doesnt seem to be a threat to any of your passwords etc, just your leisure time, and the measures they are taking seem to be precautionary, not preventional.

I guess, untill they give more detailed info, the big "why?" is open to debate.....

Hope ya all having fun though, as some of us cant even get in there even if we wanted to :/

O

old.Tzeentch

cant say it any better, but, quote:

[22:11] <Underlig> well GOA is liek the worst fuckign company ever.. that I know off :eek:
[22:11] <[VGN]Wot-do> zorena lol
[22:12] <[VGN]Wot-do> hehe
[22:13] * Mat^^ is back -[ NS ]- gone 2 min 12 s
[22:13] <Tzeentch> GOA rocks.
[22:13] <Tzeentch> stfu n00bs
[22:13] <Trent^^> goa is ok..
[22:13] <Trent^^> but its ok to whine too when your bored :D
[22:13] <Trent^^> :p
[22:13] <Tzeentch> they got less downtime than most hosting companies
[22:13] <Tzeentch> and they compensate w/out question
[22:13] * Ash^tv has joined #VGN
[22:13] <[VGN]Wot-do> hah
[22:14] <[VGN]Wot-do> well the got HACKED!!!!!!!
[22:14] <Trent^^> everyone gets hacked ..
[22:14] * Aussie has quit IRC (Quit: ( www.nnscript.de :: NoNameScript 3.73 :: www.XLhost.de ))
[22:14] <[VGN]Wot-do> its like...
[22:14] <Trent^^> or can get..
[22:14] <[VGN]Wot-do> i remember blizzard got hacked diablo 2
[22:14] * Gloma has left #VGN
[22:14] <[VGN]Wot-do> they had 2 ppl working for them
[22:14] <Tzeentch> ONOS!!!!11111``` I LSOT TEH DAY OFF WROK I WNATED 2 PLAY TEH DAOC AND UES MY SVAGE HE SI LVL 321!!1112``
[22:14] <[VGN]Wot-do> lol
[22:14] <Vodkafairy> lol
[22:15] <Trent^^> haha
[22:15] <Tzeentch> i mean what the fuck
[22:15] <Tzeentch> you see servers down, gonna be all day before they are back up
[22:15] <[VGN]Wot-do> rite...
[22:15] <Tzeentch> go out, play another game etc.
[22:15] <[VGN]Wot-do> :l
[22:15] <Tzeentch> or
[22:15] <Trent^^> well i would rather have them spend alot of time fixing stuff.. then someone fcking up the games now and then for us :(
[22:15] * Ziva|afk is now known as Ziva
[22:15] <Underlig> nn all
[22:15] <Tzeentch> sit at irc all day and whine like a bitch
[22:15] <[VGN]Wot-do> nn underlig
[22:15] * Underlig has quit IRC (Quit)
[22:15] <Trent^^> nn
[22:15] <[VGN]Wot-do> well im bored
[22:15] * Ash^tv has quit IRC (Signed off)
[22:15] * Arnor is now known as Arnor|irl
[22:16] <Trent^^> do like me.. wait in line on fileplanet lol
[22:16] <[VGN]Wot-do> :l
[22:16] <Ziva> hi ;-)
[22:16] <Trent^^> yo hun :)
[22:16] <[VGN]Wot-do> H I
[22:16] <[VGN]Wot-do> im downloading daoc movies :p
[22:16] <Ziva> bring servers down more often imho ;-)
[22:16] <Trent^^> you went outside ????
[22:16] <Ziva> had a nice quiet evening ;-)
[22:16] <Ziva> lol no
[22:16] <Trent^^> good :)
[22:16] <[VGN]Xanthian> ziva!!!!!
[22:16] <Ziva> whooot hi xant
[22:16] <Zorena^zzz> Tzeentch i've been sitting all day at irc whining like a bitch!
[22:16] <[VGN]Xanthian> hi
[22:17] <[VGN]Wot-do> anyway going afk
[22:17] <Ziva> nice zorena
[22:17] <[VGN]Xanthian> u are a bitch zorena :p
[22:17] <Ziva> did it help?
[22:17] <Zorena^zzz> now do i get a price+
[22:17] * [BC]Boogy has quit IRC (Signed off)
[22:17] <Zorena^zzz> do i get my account!!
[22:17] <Ziva> i spent a nice evening cleaning up finally ;-)
[22:17] <Trent^^> the more you bitch.. the happier you get when you can play again :p
[22:17] <Trent^^> ziva you have cleaning ladys for that.. oh wait you are one :D
[22:17] <Ziva> lol

uh

well, right.

you get the point i hope.

O

old.Laryssa

saad, a decent company can pull a pwd reset off in about 2h. More it cannot take to do this script and i know what i'm talking off.

I manipulate 100 times more data than here while I was in the
e-commerce business and it didn't take 24h ;)

U just need peeps who have a clue and not camp the account balance and watch the sub fees floating in :D

:eek: :sleeping:

O

old.Tzeentch

Originally posted by old.Laryssa
saad, a decent company can pull a pwd reset off in about 2h. More it cannot take to do this script and i know what i'm talking off.

I manipulate 100 times more data than here while I was in the
e-commerce business and it didn't take 24h ;)

U just need peeps who have a clue and not camp the account balance and watch the sub fees floating in :D

:eek: :sleeping:

how can you know lary, have you worked at GOA and seen the systems they run/use and the daily ins and outs of the game, server side?

what possible reason can there be for them to delay it if it is as easy as you say?

dont you think they have the technical people to do so?
i would think those guys know a hell of a lot more than anyone here does, and there probably are some damn good reasons why they are doing things this way.

Users who are viewing this thread