Server stability

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Alliance raids Orgimmar - server dies within a minute.

They really really need to sort out the server stability for big raids, as it should not be able to bring down a server, just lag it to hell. But then again there are lots of things they need to do but dont expect them to fix it any time soon :(

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Sadly there is nothing short of the word sucky to describe the performance of the servers when you get 20 horde and 20 alliance in visible range of each other, let alone when they start casting spells at each other.

Alliance raided crossroads this evening when i was passing though and i decided to join in the defence - i had reasonable fps, having a strong'ish machine, but my spellcasting was lagging like fook with a delay of anything from 5 to 20 sec depending on how many others were casting stuff at the same time. It was unplayable. And this was just some 30-40 alliance and 20-30 horde - imagine a raid on OG or other capitals then with maybe several hundred people on either side: wont ever be possible with the current server architecture and game engine :/

Say what you will about DAoC but you could have alot more people in a fight before the server started to groan.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
hehe that was what was happening :) Raid of 50-100 alliance on Org v 250+ defenders complete lag out then server crash. By the looks of things the extra stress took down the database server hence why other game servers died at the same time :/

Fun as hell to watch the numbers once the server came back up though kodo mounts everywhere :) didn't realise we had that many 40+ on horde side till alliance tried that failed raid.

Zede

Part of the furniture
I am very concerned regarding this issue.

Come back DaoC - all is forgiven.

I'll be switching back if things dont improve - we shall have to see what happens with Battlegrounds...but i guess that could be quite a few months though.

Imon

Fledgling Freddie
what is this? I remember the Oh fuck goa, blizzard gone rule them etc etc

guess all is not what it seems like aye?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ive not had a huge amoutn of problems when in pvp battles, was 40+ horde in redridge once but didnt have any great amount of lag, there was lag but it was playable :p

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
The servers crashed, let's all sit together and whine, this will make us all feel much better.

Then we can all go back to Daoc to play and whine there. Guess we dropped the "fuck Goa" now and exchanged it with "fuck Blizzard".

You think the whining here will help anyone in anyway except making people irritated?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Imon said:
what is this? I remember the Oh fuck goa, blizzard gone rule them etc etc

guess all is not what it seems like aye?

Imon said:
---------INACTIVE----------

Be a GOA fan bois if you like, but only if you play their game. Otherwise be gone foulest troll.

Bone_Idle

Fledgling Freddie
Zede said:
I am very concerned regarding this issue.

Come back DaoC - all is forgiven.

I'll be switching back if things dont improve - we shall have to see what happens with Battlegrounds...but i guess that could be quite a few months though.

Go back to DAoC then.

DAoC was designed around pvp/rvr, WoW wasnt (yet).
Its probably why the battlegrounds are taking so long in reaching us. They are probably sorting out the large scale pvp code.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Fana said:
Say what you will about DAoC but you could have alot more people in a fight before the server started to groan.
Not in the beginning it couldnt.

Took basically until NF to get servers/code that could handle huge scale fights without crashing.

Tristessa

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm just suprised that especially the people that had to put up with all the crap that went on in DAOC, dont understand these kind of things in WoW. In games like these, you cant have everything picture-perfect from day 1. Yeah there are problems and yeah they'll be fixed. But people dont have patience. Its like * I want that fixed and I want it NOW otherwise Im leaving* lol.
Game-hopping is so fotm ;)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Not in the beginning it couldnt.

Took basically until NF to get servers/code that could handle huge scale fights without crashing.

Well not even daoc classic had 20 sec serverlag with 50 people fighting, you had to have 100+ for that, and 200+ for it to crash.

But yes, ofc we cant expect things to be perfect from the start, altho id say a 50 people fight shouldnt be gamebreaking even this early in a MMO. Hope they can optimize this performance fast.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
altho id say a 50 people fight shouldnt be gamebreaking even this early in a MMO.

But 50 people isn't gamebreaking in WoW !!!! This thread already started with the wrong facts.

I've seen raids that were substantually bigger then this, caused indeed a lot of lag in a couple of zones, but didn't break the server. Make sure you got your head count right, or vector in other factors (like another raid or big concentration of players somewhere else).
Also noone forces you to raid in this size. This is contrary to DAoC where you HAD to show up with +100 players to do a prime-time relic raid which more often then not crashed the server.

But indeed with Battlegrounds supposed to allow 200 players on both sides they'll have to come up with some improvements. Even DAoC wouldn't be able to support such numbers btw (not in OF anyway), something most people seem to gently forget ...

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Tristessa said:
I'm just suprised that especially the people that had to put up with all the crap that went on in DAOC, dont understand these kind of things in WoW. In games like these, you cant have everything picture-perfect from day 1. Yeah there are problems and yeah they'll be fixed. But people dont have patience. Its like * I want that fixed and I want it NOW otherwise Im leaving* lol.
Game-hopping is so fotm ;)

+ everyone wanting to be > everyone from minute 1 ;) race to 60.. get the bestest items... go pwn and be the best.. don't we just love MMORPG's !!

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
oh no, no zerg-fests, what will we do?

I can't read the official boards for the whining. People will whine about anything and everything. Why don't you give them a chance to sort it out? Do you really think with 1.5 million people playing that they will not sort it out?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Abel said:
But 50 people isn't gamebreaking in WoW !!!! This thread already started with the wrong facts.

I guess our definitions of gamebreaking are different :) There might have been more than 50 sure, but not that much more, and no there were no other raids going on nearby that i heard of anyway (and if people are raiding in another zone it should only affect that zone imo). Anyway, id say 20 sec serveside lag is gamebreaking - it certainly isnt playable anyway, most people will just mash buttons and hope their spells will hit something before they die to something they cant see etc, then they will move away from the area since they cant do anything. Thats what i call gamebreaking, since on a pvp server the game is about pvp, and in a MMO game the pvp is supposed to include more than 10 people per side :)

Anyway, as i said im aware that you cant expect tiptop performance from the start, but with such an extended beta period and so much rescources beeing abilable we should be able to expect a rather significant improvement over the coming months.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
I guess our definitions of gamebreaking are different

Well the thread started about a server crash, which I took as the definition for being gamebreaking :p

WoW is clearly designed for smaller groups in mind (5 players per team, 40 players as the upper limit for raids) and the netcode reflects that. Some will regret that, most however aren't that interested in "big" fights (remember all the zerg complaints in DAoC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom