Server Abuse, where do Game stand ?

D

Debaser

Originally posted by throdgrain
I dont believe its Game.net policy to tell me what language to scream at people in,

But it is policy (T&C) to tell you what you can scream ;)

Policy should be enforced with or without the option of muting :)

/still updating steam

L

leggy

Why ?
if someone posted a question on here about Steam, in French for example, what use would that be ? Bugger all.
Its a UK-based GSP, so English is the language we use. Its not a big deal really.

completely different.

They would be expecting an answer from a predominantly english speaking community.

On the gaming servers they are usually babbling to their mates who are also french. It's not about how useful it is to us. It's freedom to speak to their friends however they want. It IS supposed to be fun you know.

D

Deadmanwalking

Like has been pointed out, the CoC for these forums says to speak english. But also like leggy said this is completely diferent to a games server.

Here they are talking to "us" as such and as a UK based GSP "us" are more then not going to be English or English speaking.

On a server they will be just nattering to their mates or whatever.
On the flipside is the ones that just shout abuse in foreign languages and then hide behind the whole "Your rascists for not letting me talk my own language etc etc"

I know very little of any foreign language, but what i do know is the stuff they never taught you at school ;)

T

throdgrain

Originally posted by leggy
completely different.

They would be expecting an answer from a predominantly english speaking community.

On the gaming servers they are usually babbling to their mates who are also french. It's not about how useful it is to us. It's freedom to speak to their friends however they want. It IS supposed to be fun you know.

No fun in listening to people shout at you in a language you dont understand. For either I expect.

D

Deadmanwalking

I think it is more when they are nattering away to friends etc, rather then talking to the team.

D

Dr_Weasel

And is it just me, or have they removed the mute functinality from steam?? I used to have a little speaker icon for each player on the right had side of the scoreboard. Its seems to have gone.

Ive had to resort to disabling all ingame comms now.

T

throdgrain

For imformation by the way, to mute people now with Steam you have to press escape, go to player list and mute in there .

About 4 posts above yours.

D

Dr_Weasel

Doh! Somehow I manged to read half of your post and missed the second half.

Ive been in work too long today :(

Ta Throddy.

M

mank

Originally posted by leggy
I personally think its total arrogance to expect someone to speak your language just because they are playing a game on a server located near you.

I would have thought that one of GAME's concerns is that if somebody is speaking a language that the admin doesn't also speak then you're not sure what they're saying and can't moderate the discussion as they would if they were speaking English.

I used to play RA2 on Swedish and German servers and generally they all spoke their respective native language, but if you started speaking to them in English they generally spoke to you in English. I've always found most people in the European gaming scene speak English, or perhaps that's because they're the only ones I speak to...

D

Deady

This problem extends far beyond online gaming.

A serious and Reallife issue such as air traffic communications....

At Charles De Gaule Airport the ATC guys refuse to stick to English. They will jabber away in French to French pilots - meaning English pilots dont really know what the situation is in general at the airport.

This has cost lives, but they will refuse to adopt the english only standard.

<shrug>

D

Deadmanwalking

"Deady go terrorist to your right!"

"Terrorist di Deady alla vostra destra!"
"Buh?"

Oh the humanity :(

C

Ch3tan

BW used to attract a large number of Euro gamers, with the quality of the CS preview servers you are seeing them play on the re-branded GAME.NET ones. As anyone one the Steam internal browser will only see "European" on the filter they would not know the country of origin of the server. Look at it this way, you can mute, and at least we are getting activity on the servers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom