Seperate DAOC Forum DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynnor

Rockhound
Wow - deja vu - I remember this exact question being asked on barrysworld a year or two ago...

It must be said that the general forum has stagnated a bit - if it wasnt for birthday threads and OMGnonotanother desktop threads there would be tumbleweeds blowing through general town :)

What you should be doing is encouraging more of the Daoc mob to crossover to the general forums rather than splitting them - the off topic areas often have some amusing threads which tend to get nicked by the generalites so they cant be that bad...

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Louster said:
Err! What the fuck. Wow.
Deebs et al - do you get recompensed for this horrible burden? If they are (or were, or whatever) actively encouraging their users to sign up here then surely they're basically abusing your generosity.

uhm he said BW (which i actually hadnt noticed when i signed up). yes FH is the forum for the english daoc servers, but goa doesnt name it the official forum or even tell/ask people to go to there. So it isnt as bad as Jayce made it seem.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
GOA need to put thier hand in thier pockets and help FH out with some of the running costs. If there was no FH let me assure you that DAoC numbers would start to decline rapidly, the one thing that kept people from the english servers playing through all the shitty patches over the last 3 years is the community and that community is based around FH. GOA need to recognise that and contribute towards the costs or at the very least make a one off donation.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I've tendancy to keep an eye on my subscribed thread list - I asked a while ago about how much of an effect it had on the server. Much easier to bookmark your User Control Panel and go straight to your threads then general and then on to wherever.
I don't have email-on-new-post enabled.

Will

/bin/su
cHodAX said:
GOA need to put thier hand in thier pockets and help FH out with some of the running costs. If there was no FH let me assure you that DAoC numbers would start to decline rapidly, the one thing that kept people from the english servers playing through all the shitty patches over the last 3 years is the community and that community is based around FH. GOA need to recognise that and contribute towards the costs or at the very least make a one off donation.
I'm sure quite a few DAoC players have donated tenners, just the same as a lot of people in the non-DAoC forums have.

[/devil's advocate]

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will said:
I'm sure quite a few DAoC players have donated tenners, just the same as a lot of people in the non-DAoC forums have.

[/devil's advocate]

The donation list is not as many as you think Will......

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
cover the daoc forums in pr0n pay-banners then :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The original deal with GOA (actually Koch, the distie) was we (e.g. GAME) got a revenue share in exchange for certain promotion/support of DAOC (one of many wizard schemes we looked at in the hope it would lead somewhere else, like a hosting deal, which would have kept BW alive) At the time, GOA had their own forums, but as has been pointed out already, couldn't/wouldn't continue to support them, and started pointing everyone at BW/GAME.net instead (they sort of did it as a fait accompli tbh), mainly because we, particularly Bigfoot and Trebz if I remember rightly, did a better job than them, so we inherited the DAOC community really. DBs just kept the whole thing going when he and Ted set up Freddys, and they do it entirely out of the goodness of their hearts, but that was to help the community not GOA. Thanks guys. :)

Tilda

Deebs said:
I dont want to be too critical, but sending a private message to all posters on the DAoC forums would probably result in a large number of them paying. Heck I didnt know we could pay for ages, and even then, It took a while of looking an asking before I found out how to do it. (Yes I know thats kinda hypocritical because I havent paid yet, im working on it!) A PM with the link, or an announcement, or both, would do well at raising awareness of ability to pay. Would it hurt to just broach the subject of hosting costs to a GOA Representative?

Tilda

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Deebs said:

I was going to ask before it was mentioned the rough percentage of DAoC forum users that have donated?

And the percentage of 'general' forum users that have donated?

Or sum it into some kind of ratio? :)

There are some nice DAoCers that aren't idiots. Most though, and you can see by browsing the forums are idiots, and expect a top quality service from FH despite it's generosity. The majority of these people have not even thought about contributing: and this is the problem. DAoCers only come here because this is the only place generous enough to host such intolerable bandwidth usage. A load of generalites have paid and supported FH/BW for ages, and that's where the complaint lies - most generalites like myself have contributed and would be happy to do so again for the use of the forums, and as a result it would be fair to be able to use the forums to their full potential. Sadly, this isn't possible at the moment due to hoards of ungrateful, tightfisted DAoCers contently spamming the forums to death.

IMO. :)D)

Clown

Part of the furniture
I haven't paid/donated. Should I stop posting?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Clown said:
I haven't paid/donated. Should I stop posting?

You should stop posting even if you had paid ;)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I'd like to donate something to the upkeep of these forums, just show me how please :)

Being an ex-DAoC'er I don't mind in the least the sharing of one database. Anyhoo following a 'latest post' link lead me to a pic of the lovely Xyliana (spelling?) on Prydwen/General ... Brightened my Monday morning ;)

Cyfr

Banned
I've paid and you still all hate me, I want my money back. Cept from Wij, he delivered the goods.. ;)

Will

/bin/su
Turamber said:
I'd like to donate something to the upkeep of these forums, just show me how please :)

Being an ex-DAoC'er I don't mind in the least the sharing of one database. Anyhoo following a 'latest post' link lead me to a pic of the lovely Xyliana (spelling?) on Prydwen/General ... Brightened my Monday morning ;)
Clicky.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Maybe make a sticky of that clicky in the er.. Dark age of camelot forums (doesn't quite rhyme though) :(

As long as it isn't forced upon people and they know it is simply a choice then I'm sure the majority of people will understand.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I will donate when I get home, I was looking for the way to pay a while ago, not terribly hard I must admit. I think the wife has a Paypal account jobbie somewhere. Is there any way of paying/donating other than paypal ?
and would there be likely be any other method for paying in the future ?

Later

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
You can buy Deebs a beer at the Freddybeer.

Unfortunately that will not be possible as I will be in my second location, so I will just have to abuse the wifes Paypal jobbie. :(

Will

/bin/su
I got a Paypal account just to donate. They are pretty simple to get hold of.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Paypal takes 5 seconds to set up, it is not that much if a task.

And Cyfr; it has nothing to do with whether you pay or not, you could pay the forums a million quid and it wouldn't turn people's opinions round.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
DaGaffer said:
its not that big a deal really.
I love ya matey, but it is and it always was. I've suggested the DAoC forums can easily be made an "opt in/out". Set the forums up with the right groupings, make DAoC "opt in" for everyone and new users. Those like Kenny & myself who then don't want to see any of the DAoC forums can voluntarily leave the DAoC group and thus "opt out" which theoretically removes all sight, separates the two and doesn't require 2 vB licences.

Edit: As a side note I used to use "View New Posts" to post in the many varied sub forums on Barrysworld where it would hilight threads that might peak my interest, DAoC came and because of the sheer volume you couldn't do it anymore. If others also did this might explain why everything lands in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom