Seperate DAOC Forum DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I dunno if this has been suggested before and dismissed cos it's too much hassle but is it possible to get a seperate DAOC database set up?

Years ago on BW I used the "see new threads" button to look at the obscure little threads that people start that you wouldn't normally notice.

Now when you use this feature you get at least 80% DAOC threads and sometimes 100%. It's just a pain in the arse. It is the FH forums not the DAOC forums.

Another reason is we wouldn't get dumb posts like this...
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=36171

Clown

Part of the furniture
Wouldn't you need two vBulletin licenses?
We asked before as every time people clicked 'View New Posts', it was filled with useless nonsense...

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
A lot of the community side of things gets overlooked because not everyone can be arsed to trawl through 15 different sub-forums on the off chance that someone might have left a message recently.

The function was a great way for new threads in rarely visited sub-forums to get noticed, at least for an hour or so till it got pushed to the bottom. That might just be enough.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Just had a quick look at the new threads right now the first page of 25 posts....there's 24 DAOC posts.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
aye this is pretty much a DAOC forum but yeah i think you would need to seperate the two forums into daoc and non daoc so u might need two copies of the software

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
This is a free service, and as many DAOCer's 'came over' from GAME.net/BW as regular 'general' forumites, so they have just as much right to be here as anyone else. Its hardly their fault that they use their community more than we do, is it? If there were more general Freddys threads the problem would go away.

I know a lot of it is irritating to general forumites (and I feel a little responsible since its my fault DAOC ended up on BW in the first place) but, its not that big a deal really.

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
Another option, which may or may not be possible, is a slight mod to user preferences, allowing a user to select which forums they want to see new posts from in the new posts section.

With the customisation, you would only see new posts in the forums you are interested in.

I don't know how hard this would be, but I am happy to offer my php/mysql knowledge to help out, if deebs etc want to try something out.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
DaGaffer said:
This is a free service, and as many DAOCer's 'came over' from GAME.net/BW as regular 'general' forumites, so they have just as much right to be here as anyone else. Its hardly their fault that they use their community more than we do, is it? If there were more general Freddys threads the problem would go away.

I know a lot of it is irritating to general forumites (and I feel a little responsible since its my fault DAOC ended up on BW in the first place) but, its not that big a deal really.

I wasn't having a go. I'm not anti-DAOC (well maybe slightly :p) I was just after something to make the lives of the non-DAOC'ers slightly easier. No need to get on the high horse and start reminding us it's free etc etc ;) We all know this and appreciate it, it was just a straight forward request.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
DaGaffer said:

Nah, its no biggie. I just stopped posting regularly and use other forums instead. I'm well aware that if you took the Daoc content away this place would be fairly dead.

By the way this "general forumite" crap gets on my tits, half the people who post in General and other non daoc areas are daoc users who didn't whine, they just started posting harmlessly and mucking in. Correct me if I'm wrong but Jupitus, Dillinja, tris, Silverhood, Jonaldo, etc etc etc. I couldnt give a fuck what game someone plays.

FH is daocworld, fact tho. Oh and not a dig at you either DaGaffer :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Xtro said:
Nah, its no biggie. I just stopped posting regularly and use other forums instead. I'm well aware that if you took the Daoc content away this place would be fairly dead.

I actually disagree, but then I think WPK does raise a valid point that it can be hard to find alot of the activity in other areas. I don't see this as an 'us and them' thing, purely a reasonable suggestion which I'll prod Deebs to look at. Certainly, as a mod, I read alot of the other areas and there is activity out there if you know where to look ;)

Xtro said:
By the way this "general forumite" crap gets on my tits, half the people who post in General and other non daoc areas are daoc users who didn't whine, they just started posting harmlessly and mucking in. Correct me if I'm wrong but Jupitus, Dillinja, tris, Silverhood, Jonaldo, etc etc etc. I couldnt give a fuck what game someone plays.

I agree - I don't much like the them and us stuff that goes on and while it is sometimes harmless banter I would be uncomfortable to see it get out of hand.

Also, Xtro, I stopped playing DAOC about 2 years ago!! :kissit:

Xtro said:
FH is daocworld, fact tho. Oh and not a dig at you either DaGaffer :)

FH has a large number of active users, but the DAOC players do tend to be more active on the boards. The reason is one largely of gameplay, I think. When playing DAOC there are often extended periods of relative inactivity and the game now allows users to alt-tab out without losing your connection. This means that DAOC players will tend to read and post on the boards at the same time as playing. Us hardcode (ROFL) FPS gamers tend more to get immersed in a fast and furious frenzy of wild shooting action and alt-tabbing would be the last thing on our minds.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
kanonfodda said:
Another option, which may or may not be possible, is a slight mod to user preferences, allowing a user to select which forums they want to see new posts from in the new posts section.

With the customisation, you would only see new posts in the forums you are interested in.

I don't know how hard this would be, but I am happy to offer my php/mysql knowledge to help out, if deebs etc want to try something out.

This is obviously the better option :)

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Blame GOA, they did used to have forums.
But the whines were very strong, they shut them down.

At the time, bw daoc forums were not very active, i can only remember Granny posting there, and a few others.

Then boom, they came in masses hehe, i just hope the EQ2 and WoW forums kick off, its nice to have a community on this forum.

Tilda

kanonfodda said:

I was going to suggest something like this, perhaps a "watched forums list" and then when you clicked the button it would only show threads from forums that you had on your list.

Tilda

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thrinnor said:
You played?? I thought you just logged on and generally got killed.... ;)

:twak: :touch: :twak:

Will

/bin/su
Tilda said:
I was going to suggest something like this, perhaps a "watched forums list" and then when you clicked the button it would only show threads from forums that you had on your list.

Tilda
I just use the User Control Panel to monitor all the forums I want to use. Subscribe to forum is your friend.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Who cares about the DAoC lot? It's not as if they fill up General with bollocks, most of the non-DAoC regulars manage that themselves.

danke.jpg

Elenos

Fledgling Freddie
Well said :) end the crappy threads and get back to play more DAOC

<<DAOC enthusiast>> :clap:

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I don't find it hard at all, just kinda click on General forum and I magically get to see what new threads are in there.

If you're talking about pointless posts then check out that 'What are you listening to now?' shit in music :rolleyes: 99% of the time when there is a new post in music it is just someone saying some song. Shittest thread ever! Worse than the old poo thread.

Yup Xtro I came from the daoc forums, and then Planetside also :)

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
This means that DAOC players will tend to read and post on the boards at the same time as playing.

I think its more to do with the fact that DAOC has 3 Realms, and in-game, you can't communicate with other realms, so the best place to do it is FH.

Jayce

Fledgling Freddie
Deacan said:
Blame GOA, they did used to have forums.
But the whines were very strong, they shut them down.

At the time, bw daoc forums were not very active, i can only remember Granny posting there, and a few others.

Although this is true when you bought daoc as part of the install it asked you to sign up to Barrysworld for forums and directed you to the barrysworld url. It seems this forum wanted daoc players ?

Cyfr

Banned
Make goa pay deebs for another vbulitin licence.. FH are like the offical unoffical forums now because GOA are too crap to provide their users with a forum, look at all the bandwidth they save!

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Jayce said:
Although this is true when you bought daoc as part of the install it asked you to sign up to Barrysworld for forums and directed you to the barrysworld url. It seems this forum wanted daoc players ?

Err! What the fuck. Wow.
Deebs et al - do you get recompensed for this horrible burden? If they are (or were, or whatever) actively encouraging their users to sign up here then surely they're basically abusing your generosity.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Cyfr said:
Make goa pay deebs for another vbulitin licence.. FH are like the offical unoffical forums now because GOA are too crap to provide their users with a forum, look at all the bandwidth they save!

and they will reply with "bugger of it is not a financially sound option. Why should we pay for something they already get and is free of cost for us!?"

To be honest if it a problem that the new posts are upsetting you as they all daoc just get your community more active and that problem be solved as they will post just as much :touch:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok,

Let's answer some questions:

a) Create a separate DB

I would rather not do this. I like seeing a busy board and it makes my life easier to maintain and manage. 1 website, 1 database. (Yes, I know there are 3 backend webservers but thats not the point I am making).

b) Do I receive support from GOA?

Do I fuck. This is all done for nowt. Well actually, no, there are hosting fees to pay.

c) Mod the forums to show only forum threads you are interested in.

I will certainly look for a hack which offers this and implement it if I find one. Watch this space.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Deebs said:
Ok,

Do I fuck. This is all done for nowt. Well actually, no, there are hosting fees to pay.
Considering that they point to this site as the community forums for the european daoc, surely there should be some (at least a little) compensation heading your way. Heard some figure of 2gig a day in bandwidth, my guess would be a large amount of this is from the daoc community so GOA seem to be passing the cost onto someone else while offering little in return for the favour :p

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Deebs said:
Ok,

Let's answer some questions:

a) Create a separate DB

I would rather not do this. I like seeing a busy board and it makes my life easier to maintain and manage. 1 website, 1 database. (Yes, I know there are 3 backend webservers but thats not the point I am making).

Fair enough. That's one solution out then.

Deebs said:

That's a shit state of a fairs to be honest. I'd like to echo the other people's replies in support of you chasing them, should you decide to, for some recompense.

Deebs said:
c) Mod the forums to show only forum threads you are interested in.

I will certainly look for a hack which offers this and implement it if I find one. Watch this space.

Good to hear. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to hearing if you pull this off.

I never meant to imply an "us vs them" mentality I just felt that certain features I quite enjoyed using a while ago are no longer any use to me because of the heavy use of the DAOC area of the forums. They post more, I get that, but if something can be done to hide certain portions of the forums from people who don't want to see them, thus letting us use tools such as the "New Posts" function then that's great. In fact it's exactly what I'm after. I want my "New posts" button to work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom