Advice Self build PC Spec opinions

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Hi all,

I am looking to build a desktop PC, havent done this for 11 years and its a whole new world now.

Primarily i want to build a rig on a budget of less than £500, i need a monitor and Windows as well.
I want something that as a base is upgradeable and with the addition of a graphics card in the near future capable of running some games, not at the top end settings, but comfortable. It will need to run football manager though :)

This is the spec i've come up with, welcome any oponions or advice.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/rubric/saved/Tjdrxr

Thanks.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Looks good. That ram is great its what I had in my old pc.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Thanks. I'm thinking processor will be upgradeable in the future with that socket? Do I need to worry about putting extra fans in it?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah you can go right up to the I7 4790 with that socket (pretty much the best atm)

The only slight thing is the PSU - See if you can squeeze in a 600 or 650w power supply in, just to be on the safe side if you get a graphics card. Should be another £15-£20

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
heya Rubric, tbh if it were me, I would go for a slower ram, say 1600 to 1866 or so, tops. Also, I would get a wired kbd if you've not got a killer requirement to have a wireless one. This should save you a few squids, which you can proceed to put in to your PSU or mobo (I'd choose PSU). Get the best possible PSU you can find (note: high W does not a good one make), but be aware those guys can get pretty expensive.

A PSU works best at around 50~60% of rated load, so if you consider a discrete GFX card you're going to have to add another 150-250W to your wattage depending which one you get, so as Raven says 600, 6fiddy, that kind of ballpark.

TdC

as to upgrade paths: future things could be:

- SSD boot disk
- GFX card
- m04r ram
- CPU
- bigger and better monitor

Your current setup choice is actually pretty sweet and should sort you for a good while imo.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I can't help but think that PC is at a similar spec to a PC I had like 6 years ago...

If it were me I'd either wait a couple of years, and get some more funding behind it, because for what you're suggesting, you may aswell just buy a laptop.

There's nothing there that would be worth keeping apart from the monitor, mouse, keyboard, RAM and the case.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
thanks teedles, primary concern was get up and running for sub 500 with upgrade ability for CPU and a GFX card. Seems like i am on the money then. Will downgrade the keyboard and mouse and look at upgrading the PSU.

Was going to get a z87 chipset but noticed they are a pain with the G3258 processor without a bios upgrade so plumped for the z97. DO you think that mobo is an ok choice for a few years?

TdC

tbh at a glance I actually kind of like that mobo, but I am not super clued in to hardware anymore so I don't know any of the roadmaps. you could do with having a quick check to see what the life expectency of your cpu socket choice is.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
wow they look good value, don't know anything about hybrid drives though :-/

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
No mention of any brand names or p/n's which is a little worrying. Also will need a separate graphics card. Very cheap and in my experience you get what you pay for.

Might be ok with a decent graphs card and the hybrid drive posted above.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
tbh at a glance I actually kind of like that mobo, but I am not super clued in to hardware anymore so I don't know any of the roadmaps. you could do with having a quick check to see what the life expectency of your cpu socket choice is.

seems the 1150 will be around for a bit.

Looks like i may take the plunge next paydat, just need to convince the missus to re-arrange the lounge to accomodate a desk and chair.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
i want something i can play football manager on, stream to my ps3 and upgrade graphics card to play some ok games

Litmus

Resident Freddy
thats about as good as your going to get with that budget... just throw a gfx card in later and it'll be pretty good all round(as long as you oc that cpu)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom