Sega Dreamcast - a classic machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wazzerphuk

I did, especially as they came out way before SC did.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Tbh teken 2 in my eyes had the same effect of of street fighter 2.
Both were the pinacle of there genre.

O

old.Jayminator

Well... No, my fav Tekken character is Jin, and he's not in number 2. But then saying that in number 2 my fav character was Jun, and she wasn't in number 3... I guess that's what makes Tekken Tag appealing.

I didn't get into number 2 as much though, because at the time I was playing Saturn VF2 which was much quicker, prettier and better all round than Tekken 2.

O

old.Armageddon

Originally posted by Bodhi

Did you tell them you know jack shit about fighting games then?

Never one to back down on my words or my knowledge, go check this link out:

www.firepears.nildram.co.uk/ct-cvs2-agroove2.avi

A Groove combos for CVS2 - 1 day after I received the game. Ask me then if I know anything about fighting games.

why not check while you're at it?

www.firepears.nildram.co.uk/im_magneto_reset.avi

hmm? MVC2 100% combo.

Kurt: I see you're notts based - do you play in the Namco down there in Slab Square? They've got some decent A3 players down there man. Played a mean Guy player once called Justin. - awesome A-Guy user!

Any Sheffield based games - Namco is the place to be atm - VF4 / Tekken 4 / A3 / CVS ( CVS 2 soon) - Get down there! :D

O

old.Armageddon

Originally posted by Jayminator
I didn't get into number 2 as much though, because at the time I was playing Saturn VF2 which was much quicker, prettier and better all round than Tekken 2.

Wooooo VF2 r0x0rness :)

Fighters Megamix was over looked by many as well :(

M

MYstIC G

The 32-X for one didn't have "the right theory" at all, its success was always going to be stunted by the fact that Sega just released it as stop gap until the Saturn came out.

Sega's ideas have often been very, very strange. The actual games they make were/are great, just a shame every other part of Sega was run by chimps.
Well from all the bumph I read at the time the 32x wasnt actually ever planned for release in the first place, even as a stop gap. However the success of the virtua racer title bumped peoples interest in what could still be done using the good ole MegaDrive, hence the 32x arrived.

And by "the right theory" I simply mean that Sega were constantly trying to push forward the gaming technology forward, whether what they came up with is good or bad, is a personal opinion.

W

Wij

I wubbed Fighter's Megamix. Not as hardcore as VF2 but great fun. That bird off Virtua Cop 2 was real fun :)

What's VF4 like then ? :)

B

bodhi

And to the guy who says that Soul Calibur is just Tekken with weapons... the entire fucking world would disagree with that outlandish and ill-conceived statement.

Soul Calibur is so much better than Tekken it hurts. I suggest you actually play the game to an actual level of competence before talking about the game again, as at the moment you are simply making an ass out of yourself in front of a more informed majority.

Hmmmm. One or two gaping holes in your argument.

1) Soul calibur is Tekken with Weapons. Fact. Same game engine. And i'm pretty sure if there was a huge difference between the two Yoshimitsu would have changed somewhat in the transition. Seeing as he is exactly the same, this kinda hints at the fact that the games are very very similar. Oh hang on its got different characters and a different name. It must be different!!!!!!!

2) You have to be good at a game before you comment on it do you? Nice logic.

3) I spent most of Christmas holidays last year playing Soul Calibur. Seemed to be an OK game to me hampered by a godawful control pad. Bought a PS2 with a copy of Tekken Tag in January. Compared to two side by side. The result. Half an hour spent on Soul Calibur and 3 months spent on Tekken Tag.

To sum up, Tekken shit on Soul Calibur from such a great height its not even funny. Tekken is the undisputed kind of fighting games. Soul Calibur is a diversion for people to arse about with when the Tekken machine is taken. And it gives Dreamcast owners (all 7 of them) a Tekken game without Namco pissing Sony off by releasing Tekken on another format.

Armageddon, you're my hero. No really. You can push buttons to make a Beat-Em-Up character hit people! Shame it took you a day tho. Personally I picked up Tekken Tag and had pretty much mastered Paul and Baek within about 2 hours. But then I'm not doing it on an obscure game no one really cares about, so you must be good!!!!!!

O

old.Jayminator

How you can possibly say Tekken and Soul Calibur are the same is beyond me...

They both have totally different control methods which greatly affect the gameplay. If you had played Soul Calibur more you would've realised this.

C'mon mate, don't you some times have the feeling you're missing something that everyone else seems to be aware of?

B

bodhi

Erm duh. I didn't say they were exactly the same. I said Soul Calibur is Tekken with weapons. Hello McFly! Anyone home?

O

old.Jayminator

Yeah but it's clearly not...

It's like saying Ridge Racer is Tekken with cars...

S

Sir Frizz

erm, ridge racer is of a completely different genre than tekken

O

old.Jayminator

Hmm, well obviously. But I fear you've missed the point. My outlandish and completely spasticated comment was sarcasm, aimed at the similarly spasticated comment about Soul Calibur being Tekken with Weapons.

B

bodhi

Hmm, well obviously. But I fear you've missed the point. My outlandish and completely spasticated comment was sarcasm, aimed at the similarly spasticated comment about Soul Calibur being Tekken with Weapons.

What part of this don't you understand?

Tekken is a Beat Em Up, produced by Namco. Soul Calibur is also a Beat Em Up, also produced by Namco, using the same game engine as the aforementioned Tekken, running on the same board, and has a character who is identical to the one in Tekken. The games are so different, this character was transferred over untouched.

So Soul Calibur is Tekken with weapons.

Next you'll be trying to tell me Quake 2 is a different game than Quake 1 (same game, different engines - about as innovative as Soul Calibur was).

Care to shut up now retard?

Good lad.

O

old.Jayminator

Your petty and abusive retort is a sign of two things: Your lack of IQ and lack of wit. Stop it child.

What you seem to fail to understand, is that the way each of these games play, is quite different from the other. The fact that Soul Calibur runs from a different control system to Tekken means the game engine has to be - to an extent - different.

The way the characters move, combo and counter also suggest the game engine is different.

Tekken uses a dodge method. Soul Calibur uses an "8-way-run", to anyone who can play the games well, these seemingly subtle differences substantially affect gameplay.

Yoshimitsu does indeed behave in a similar way to his Tekken variant, however the fact that he is controlled in a different way goes against what you are saying.

So to reiterate: Soul Calibur is not Tekken with weapons, it is in fact a completely different game, featuring its own control method, its own subtleties and basically its own style.

B

bodhi

OK you've convinced me. They made the buttons do different moves so its a different game. I remember when I moved to WASD from the cursor keys in Quake 2, it felt like I'd bought an entirely new game!!!

W

Wazzerphuk

Bodhi: You're so utterly wrong it's a joke. You may prefer Tekken. That's your opinion. But the games aren't that similar. It's like saying Return To Castle Wolfenstein is Quake 3 with old guns becuase it uses the same engine.

B

bodhi

Um, I'm not really.

I think you'll find I originally said that from an innovation point of view , Soul Calibur is Tekken with weapons. There are also a great deal of similarities, which in my view, make it Tekken with weapons. I'm not entirely sure which part of this spacklords anonymous didnt get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom