SWTOR Security Key

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
https://account.swtor.com/user/security-key

Security Keys protect your Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ account against theft and hacking! Plus, secure your account now and receive exclusive access to the in-game security key vendor station for exclusive gear and items!
and
http://www.swtor.com/info/security-key said:
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Physical Security Key
Enjoy these benefits:
Easy to set up and use
Custom Star Wars: The Old Republic design
Lightweight and compact
Waterproof
Long battery life
One button press for code display
Purchase Now!
Secure My Account
North America: Available Now
Europe: Coming Soon

MY OPINION
While I appreciate that;
  1. they are offering (extra?) security,
  2. in-game items,
  3. the keys aren't free to produce,
the security of our accounts is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY, we should not really have to pay extra for it. I don't know about you, but this smacks of blackmail to me.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They are a physical product, imo you should have to pay for it, something like the android/iphone version should be free however.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
They are a physical product, imo you should have to pay for it,
I did note that fact as number 3 on my list.

I agree with you that other versions of the software should be available for nothing.

They seem to be neglecting security and saying "pay up or we don't care", which in itself is bad PR.
Their reputation is on the line when unprotected people get hacked. Which is also bad PR.

rynnor

Rockhound
They seem to be neglecting security and saying "pay up or we don't care", which in itself is bad PR.
Their reputation is on the line when unprotected people get hacked. Which is also bad PR.

It seems fair enough to me tbh. All security based on a simple user + password is insecure and easily hacked.

EA arent a security company but they are trying to help their players protect themselves - the tags are subsidised and the smartphone apps will be free to customers but costs them to setup and maintain. Its becoming a standard in mmo's - I guess they could include a physical key device in every copy but it would drive up the costs of the game and smart phones are becoming more and more available creating a low cost method.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
they could include a physical key device in every copy but it would drive up the costs of the game and smart phones are becoming more and more available creating a low cost method.

They would drive up the up-front costing of the game, but
  1. it's not as though they haven't already sunk millions and millions into it anyway,
  2. the fact that players are paying per month means that they can recoup the cost over time (and in the case of people who lose faith in the company because they get hacked, the company would be retaining their subscription instead of losing it),
  3. why compromise the safety of accounts? They are the most important aspect of the game, the business end.
Telling people that their accounts are not in safe hands... good business plan?

rynnor

Rockhound
They would drive up the up-front costing of the game, but
  1. it's not as though they haven't already sunk millions and millions into it anyway,
  2. the fact that players are paying per month means that they can recoup the cost over time (and in the case of people who lose faith in the company because they get hacked, the company would be retaining their subscription instead of losing it),
  3. why compromise the safety of accounts? They are the most important aspect of the game, the business end.
Telling people that their accounts are not in safe hands... good business plan?

1. They still have a budget - also this would reduce their profitability.
2. What about those that leave after the free month?
3. Encouraging people to use 2 factor security is good security practice not bad - you should be asking why all the other MMO's dont do the same thing?

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Wouldn't this mean that you won't be able to share your account if you are using one?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
or dont get the keyring, and wait for the iPhone/droid/blackberry app that is "coming soon" that is free ?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
http://www.swtor.com/info/security-key

the CE has the keyring in it, which i think is nice, more security if you spend that much on your account
otherwise use the phone one... i tend to lose my phone less often than i lose my keys anyway ;)

/edit
apparently the mobile one is now available, not "coming soon" any more

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's extra security, that doesn't mean they're lacking in regular security.

Never used a sec-thingy, never had problems, but then again i don't browse dodgy sites outside FH :D

Ce will have it indeed, so ofcourse using it now.

What i don't like is that they're opening the vendor in-game for this purchase, should've been CE exclusive and stay that way.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you mean my comment, fine, i just dislike "everything for everyone" mentality.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hmm, unless they mean a different store then the one that opens with the CE. Then it's fine :p

GReaper

Part of the furniture
They've already got the iOS app out, and hopefully Android and Blackberry will be out soon - although I think they've mentioned that it won't be available for launch day.

So is it really worth moaning about? You can buy the fancy security key which costs money for them, or just get the app for your phone.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
What i don't like is that they're opening the vendor in-game for this purchase, should've been CE exclusive and stay that way.

Interestingly, they said they wouldn't have microtransactions, but I guess the in-game items are just that. /shrug

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Not really if they don't cost real money as extra. More of a way to prolong the CE/key bonuses.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
the security of our accounts is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.

No it isn't. Why should they have to hire extra staff to deal with plebs who click every link they see?

I have an authenticator on my phone for WoW. Works perfectly.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
No it isn't. Why should they have to hire extra staff to deal with plebs who click every link they see?

I have an authenticator on my phone for WoW. Works perfectly.
Er.... it is actually their responsibility... just like it's their responsibility to keep our credit card details save :D

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What? Are you saying they should watch over everyone and make sure they do not get themselves infected by key loggers. Enter their details into phishing sites, share account info with fellow stupid people, etc etc.

I had a guildy in WoW who was constantly getting himself hacked, he used to do stupid things like click the links in badly written forum posts offering "sexy time" and so on. It took the support team days to get it resolved, investigating his claims, checking logs to see what items he had and where they went and finally restoring it all. Support should be dealing with "real" issues such as bugs, stuck characters, in game events etc

There is an entire industry selling in game currency, the days of them botting to earn it are long gone. For several years now they have got the vast majority of their gold from compromised accounts.

An authenticator makes your account virtually "hack" proof...though imo its not hacking, its just preying on the stupid people.

I am actually of the opinion that all MMO devs should use a 1 strike and you are out policy. Give away your details to a gold farmer once (it is not hacking!) fine lesson learnt. Do it again, strike it down to darwinism.

It is their responsibility to protect themselves from mass hacks of their own data base. It is the users responsibility to protect their computers from keyloggers and phishing scams.

BigE

One of Freddy's beloved
Totally agree with the above.. My resposiblity to secure my username and password, any help with this like sec keys is a bonus. As said above never had a problem with any mmo, used to iphone wow app no problems at all.

OFC now ill post positng in a few days time complaining about my accoutn being hacked... :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yes, they are responsible for keeping your server side information a secret. What you do outside it, other matter.

This is what the seckey helps with; extra, note, extra security.

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
So, what happens f your mobile phone dies or breaks or you lose it and you lose your app?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Then you contact customer support and get it removed from your account.

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
Meh, fun times. I have a feeling that if your account gets hacked and you don't have this security feature, their support will tell you that you're shit outta luck too, so I think it's probably a good idea to sign up for it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well, Unless someone can guess a code that changes every 20 seconds then your account can't be "hacked" even if they have the user name and password.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Meh, fun times. I have a feeling that if your account gets hacked and you don't have this security feature, their support will tell you that you're shit outta luck too, so I think it's probably a good idea to sign up for it.

No, customer support will still, like in any MMO before, help you sort it out, but seeing as it's a pain for both the customer and support, this helps alleviate not only the problems, but also the wait time for those customers who get hacked.

Mobile phone apps ofcourse don't fall under the responsibility of EA/bioware, so if you're using one of those and get problems, you ARE out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom