Security Cameras

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
One of my neighbours had their house fire bombed recently. I think it was in error as the bloke two doors down from him is an ex paramilitary (translation =ex terrorist) and was probably meant for him.

Anyway, this and numerous break-ins has prompted me into doing something that Ive been thinking about for a year now which is is to set up an eternal hidden wireless security camera linked to a PC. Not that I should have anything to really worry about but I have kids etc.

Has anyone done this or looked into it?

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
It is better to have an obvious deternt rather than a hidden one. Although what you could do is fit the camera on one corner and have a dummy on the other. Then even if they tried to avoid it you'd get em :D

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
GDW said:
One of my neighbours had their house fire bombed recently. I think it was in error as the bloke two doors down from him is an ex paramilitary (translation =ex terrorist) and was probably meant for him.

Anyway, this and numerous break-ins has prompted me into doing something that Ive been thinking about for a year now which is is to set up an eternal hidden wireless security camera linked to a PC. Not that I should have anything to really worry about but I have kids etc.

DLink do a good Wireless camera, which can also run wired at 100Mb/s. Here is the product page, I can't think of any external housings that are any good.

JVC also do a good camera, but it's wired, not wireless. The housing for it looks like a lamp bowl, but it's HUGE, and not exactly unobtrusive. I would say go for a wired camera over wireless, as atmospheric changes can alter the wireless connectivity, plus you also have to worry about the additional security of the wireless link onto your internal network and file security.

Hope this has helped a little!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Wouldnt it be better to move somewhere safer?

A camera is cheaper I guess...

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
dysfunction said:
Wouldnt it be better to move somewhere safer?

A camera is cheaper I guess...

Well, yes, I suppose it is :p

It depends on whether you want to live in a cardboard box outside King's Cross station or not, though :D

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
GDW said:

You from northern ireland or something? :) i am :/

Anyway i was reading about this sort of thing in a catalogue not long ago and thought it was a good idea too. There was 4 wireless camera's that could be setup round the place and then linked to your pc and the software allowed you to login remotely (if online) and check the camera's etc. e.g. from work or when your on holiday maybe. Anyway i cant remember what u called the hardware + software or the magazine sorry. I'll have a look though, i'll know it when i see it.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Erm..........wouldnt it be safer not to link it to the PC?

you're a bit fucked if they nick it otherwise :p

Old house had external security camera's, two big fake ones for derrent and two small,er hidden one's as actual ones. Cant tell you how effective they were tho.

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
It is probably worth looking into the legalities of cameras, I think you have to put signs up saying the cameras are there:

"CCTV in operation" etc.

As I say, not too sure, but I think it is required by law :S

Will

/bin/su
A large dog is your best bet for home security. Even if it is the soppiest thing in the world.:)

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
A few turrets with armed soldiers in either side of the garden should prove a reasonable deterrent ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you want 'in yer face' style cameras or they won't deter for shit. and get a big dog that looks dead fearsom (even if he isn't really).

Clown

Part of the furniture
Aint it illegal to film people without them knowing?

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
You can get tiny pinhole cameras for under £50. Stick these in the right areas of the house and you'll have a clear image of their faces. Using a PC camera is silly as they will take the PC and rip out the camera :). Or smash it up :(

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
You do have to have a sign warning of CCTV being in operation if you intend to use the footage in a court of law. I would also check what mediums are actually allowed to be submitted as evidence, you may find the law hasn't been updated for CCTV footage and you still need date/time stamped time-lapse video. Let's face it, unless you do it properly then there's no reason for really bothering - you may as well use fakes as they will be as good a deterrent as anything else.

On the flip side, and contradicting myself completely, if something (God forbid) did happen you could show the Police the footage on your PC and it would give them a strong case for going after a particular suspect - They may not need the footage as they'd then look harder for DNA/other evidence.

I was broken into a couple of years ago and despite not taking 2 laptops and PC equipment the total still came to over 11k and they far from gutted us. You'd be very suprised how much replacing things cost once something like this happens - Having the insurance asking me to name every one of my 400+ CD collection was a bit strong though!

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
you want 'in yer face' style cameras or they won't deter for shit. and get a big dog that looks dead fearsom (even if he isn't really).

Get Princess Annes dog, that would scare seven shades of shit out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom