Second car suggestions

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, my old EP2 Civic Type-R (not mine, but pretty much) might be coming to its end. Going into the garage to see what's up with it's front end, but it might be uneconomical to repair. (If not, it's going to keep on going, as it's better environmentally to not have a new car than to do so).

220,000 miles ain't bad tho. Cost me 13 grand in 2004. Doesn't owe me anything.

So, I want suggestions for cars that aren't going to break the bank, maybe not quite so chavvy, not particularly looking for something so performant but still want the boot space (with the rear seats down I used to comfortably get two bikes and all my camping equipment in there - and would want similar from a new car).

Electric is out. It's unfit for my purposes unfortunately. Don't want to spend a fortune either really. If I don't end up having to change it, then I know it's coming down the road in a year or two anyway, so it's still worthwhile to consider stuff.

Suggestions pretty please! :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
20069215016921778011.jpg

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Isn't this the second thread on this subject?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So, my old EP2 Civic Type-R (not mine, but pretty much) might be coming to its end. Going into the garage to see what's up with it's front end, but it might be uneconomical to repair. (If not, it's going to keep on going, as it's better environmentally to not have a new car than to do so).

220,000 miles ain't bad tho. Cost me 13 grand in 2004. Doesn't owe me anything.

So, I want suggestions for cars that aren't going to break the bank, maybe not quite so chavvy, not particularly looking for something so performant but still want the boot space (with the rear seats down I used to comfortably get two bikes and all my camping equipment in there - and would want similar from a new car).

Electric is out. It's unfit for my purposes unfortunately. Don't want to spend a fortune either really. If I don't end up having to change it, then I know it's coming down the road in a year or two anyway, so it's still worthwhile to consider stuff.

Suggestions pretty please! :)

A large-engined Euro6 complaint diesel. It doesnt really matter what, but don't get any kind of diesel under 2.5 litres; they're all money pits second hand because of all the gubbins they need to work (for example Ford 2.0 diesels have a diesel particulate filter in the exhaust that goes every 12-18 months and costs a thousand quid to replace, even with aftermarket parts; small diesels all have this type of shit going on). Big diesels are lower-compression and don't clog up with gunk nearly as quickly.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
A large-engined Euro6 complaint diesel. It doesnt really matter what, but don't get any kind of diesel under 2.5 litres; they're all money pits second hand because of all the gubbins they need to work (for example Ford 2.0 diesels have a diesel particulate filter in the exhaust that goes every 12-18 months and costs a thousand quid to replace, even with aftermarket parts; small diesels all have this type of shit going on). Big diesels are lower-compression and don't clog up with gunk nearly as quickly.
You'll need a V8 at least then:

Check out this Porsche Panamera that I have just found on #motorscouk

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Arn't diesels the spawn of the devil now when it comes to emissions?

Embattle

FH is my second home
If I was inclined to buy a car over my bike right now then I quite like the VW T Cross atm.

DaGaffer

Arn't diesels the spawn of the devil now when it comes to emissions?

Euro6 and above will be allowed in cities for a few years yet, and if you're regularly doing long runs (as I believe @Scouse does) then they're still really the only sensible option.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Euro6 and above will be allowed in cities for a few years yet, and if you're regularly doing long runs (as I believe @Scouse does) then they're still really the only sensible option.
Knowing @Scouse he will be driving the thing in 15 years time :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Isn't this the second thread on this subject?
Nah. As below.
Euro6 complaint diesel

Got a Honda CRV for the missus last October which is our main camping / biking / kayaking / long weekends away vehicle. Not big engined tho. We'll see how it goes.

When I'm going away by myself then something smaller is prolly required. And the point about diesel stands really - we've already got one car that's going to have no second-hand value and probably get punted out of cities during it's lifetime. Plus, I do dislike the health effects of diesel :\

Not ruling it out. Buying a car is kinda the worst of both worlds. Until electric works then who knows what should be done.

Knowing @Scouse he will be driving the thing in 15 years time :p
Only owned three cars in my entire life. All will go to the scrappie. :)

Don't mind a bit of spend up-front to get a long life and quality though. Few years old will do. Just means that there's more pressure to get the decision right.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
330d Touring. All the car you will ever need.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Watched a youtube vid on out of warranty 150mph plus cars.
They are almost guaranteed to cost you the buying price in repairs within two years.
Gearbox for the Merc is 20K.

Bodhi

Watched a youtube vid on out of warranty 150mph plus cars.
They are almost guaranteed to cost you the buying price in repairs within two years.
Gearbox for the Merc is 20K.

I bought my 155 mph car 5 years ago with no warranty. Since then I've put 90k on it and, apart from servicing and consumables, I've changed 2 brake calipers.

So stop talking shite.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I got a 2litre vw passat diesel i had for 5 years now and not had any issues

DaGaffer

I got a 2litre vw passat diesel i had for 5 years now and not had any issues

Then you're lucky; DPF problems have been an ongoing issue on VW Group TDIs for years; the PD version of the TDI engine was notorious for it. I think the later versions are better, but the "heath robinson" nature of diesel emissions gear in general is still a pain point. The biggest issue is people using diesels regularly on short runs or in urban environments; if you're regularly doing half an hour plus on the motorway, far fewer issues; but because of the unintended consequences of C02 taxation, diesel is super popular with people who use their cars in the least optimal conditions for diesels.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My ultra-boring Audi 1.6 diesel was a nightmare. Glad to be back on petrol.

DaGaffer

Nah. As below.

Got a Honda CRV for the missus last October which is our main camping / biking / kayaking / long weekends away vehicle. Not big engined tho. We'll see how it goes.

When I'm going away by myself then something smaller is prolly required. And the point about diesel stands really - we've already got one car that's going to have no second-hand value and probably get punted out of cities during it's lifetime. Plus, I do dislike the health effects of diesel :\

Not ruling it out. Buying a car is kinda the worst of both worlds. Until electric works then who knows what should be done.

Only owned three cars in my entire life. All will go to the scrappie. :)

Don't mind a bit of spend up-front to get a long life and quality though. Few years old will do. Just means that there's more pressure to get the decision right.

How much do you want to spend?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Then you're lucky; DPF problems have been an ongoing issue on VW Group TDIs for years; the PD version of the TDI engine was notorious for it. I think the later versions are better, but the "heath robinson" nature of diesel emissions gear in general is still a pain point. The biggest issue is people using diesels regularly on short runs or in urban environments; if you're regularly doing half an hour plus on the motorway, far fewer issues; but because of the unintended consequences of C02 taxation, diesel is super popular with people who use their cars in the least optimal conditions for diesels.
Yeah iknow about the emissions thing and that it needs a decent run every once in a while.:)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How much do you want to spend?
Zero, if I can get away with it. But spent 17k on my missus' CRV. (She thinks it's boring, but frankly couldn't be arsed to put the time in to make a decision on that much spend and wanted a car "immediately" so tough titties. I think it's comfy, got enough poke for our needs and being a honda will be reliable).

Could spend that again - but as we've got a mini-SUV we'd get away with less I suspect.

DaGaffer

Zero, if I can get away with it. But spent 17k on my missus' CRV. (She thinks it's boring, but frankly couldn't be arsed to put the time in to make a decision on that much spend and wanted a car "immediately" so tough titties. I think it's comfy, got enough poke for our needs and being a honda will be reliable).

Could spend that again - but as we've got a mini-SUV we'd get away with less I suspect.

Focus EcoBoost. Petrol but low emissions and good to drive, and you could pick up a newish one for 13-15K.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Kia Niro full electric or hybrid

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Kia Niro full electric or hybrid
Doesn't fulfill my requirements unfortunately. But hopefully soon.

I think it may be a sub-400 bill for this one. We'll see tho.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Gawd. Car's sick again. Problem is, I'm also relatively illiquid right now. But I think it's time.

Gonna keep it limping along for a couple of months unless I can get it sorted ultra cheaply.

Liquidity has changed cost profile tho. 6 or 7 grand maybe. Something that won't bore the shit out of me as it's my Type-R that's dying. Big enough to put a bike in the back with folded down seats and get me up and down the m-way on average 90-mile days (and 250-mile weekends if the missus needs the other car).

I fucking *hate* spending money on cars :(

Bodhi

BMW 130i | Spotted | PistonHeads

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bmw-1-series-can-you-get-a-bike-in-the-boot/

Depending on how you treat it on the motorway 30 - 40 mpg is possible - I've had 41 mpg over 160 miles in my similarly engined Coupé. And what an engine - smooth, flexible and sounds utterly divine when you give it some stick. Incredibly reliable cars too, Auto Bild in Germany ran one for 90k km then took it apart, and found it was pretty much brand new. I've put 80k on mine, it's needed 2 brake calipers and an ABS Sensor, in addition to the usual oil, tyres etc.

I should really be looking at replacing mine as it's on 138k, still tight as a drum though and don;t think I can really bear to part with it, as it is just too much fun.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thought about a 135i @Bodhi - managed to get four of us and four bikes to Courchevel in the Alps using a 1 series. Problem is there's a premium for Beemers (which I don't get as they're common as muck) and although I quite liked the 1 series the driving position was slightly offset IMO which annoyed me. But tbh it was the first thing I looked at.

Maybe looking at the Volvo V40 - one of the diesels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom