Scout Spec, Slash or Thrust? (autotraning also)

Poox

Loyal Freddie
I think most people use Thrust for a scouts weapon? though I am not sure

would slash be a viable option?

Also do they auto-train anything , and is that worth it?

thanks in advance

Gotrag

Fledgling Freddie
Poox said:
I think most people use Thrust for a scouts weapon? though I am not sure

would slash be a viable option?

Also do they auto-train anything , and is that worth it?

thanks in advance

I think its more to do with play style more then anything So if you want to go slash i don't supposes its any diffrent then slash... could be wrong although the Thrust resists of certian realms might be soemthing to take into account

echome

Fledgling Freddie
slash = 100% str, thrust = 50%dex 50%str - So str/con poison will kill your melee dmg, more than it is already. And most scouts got high dex but pretty low str therefor they go thrust.

BUT since malice is slash only(and crush?) some might go slash just for that, thats what I did atleast.
Also tryed to optimize my temp for it, got okay str as a saracen i think(310).

All a matter of taste, not like we can do much in melee low RR anyway.

Poox

Loyal Freddie
What about Auto-training?

Do they do it?

and is it worth it?

Airmid

Fledgling Freddie
they only auto-train bow afaik. Most scouts go thrust first of all because its more dex based than slash, so is more appropriate for the class. Also to get a decent style from the slash line you need to go to 29 for Amy slash; if you go 29 slash its unlikely you're going to have enough points to max bow, stealth and take shield to 42 for slam.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Well i'm 45bow, 42shield, 29slash, rest stealth something like 34.

Sauruman

Loyal Freddie
If you want to tower hump only, or leech/add etc, go 50 bow 42 shield 34 stealth (iirc) 18 thrust. If u want to go around and try to fight something with bow and melee, and i suggest u go with a partner (but just 1), go for 45 bow, 29 thrust, 34 stealth, 42 shield. At rr5+ you can try 50 bow 39 thrust 30 stealth 29 shield, if u want bow dmg. Or 40 bow, 42 shield, 39 thrust, 30 stealth, for a allround roaming spec, which is pretty much very good for any sara scout (since britons have lower dex, your dmg on bow may have a huge difference).

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
and of course, autotrain worths it.. rvr is very challenging even if you have all the advantages you could get(rare arties, cooky cutter ra's, etc).. and autotraining is one like that as well.
ive deleted my lvl 32 scout and made him from 1->50 because of the at points.

youngbaba

Fledgling Freddie
echome said:
Well i'm 45bow, 42shield, 29slash, rest stealth something like 34.

Would be 36 Stealth with autotrain, 34 without.

I was thinkning of PL'ing a scout, and if I did I'd go:

40 Bow (autotrain 'til 48), 37 Slash, 42 Shield, 35 Stealth

Having played Scout to RR5 and Ranger to RR5 I can definitely say 40 Bow is enough. I like the compromise of slightly lower Bow damage for increased Weaponskill and Damage on mainhand.

Even if you dont go higher than 29 slash, +Slash and points in Strength increase your weaponskill more than the base spec anyway. There was a thread on VN Minstrelboards about it a while back. I'll post the URL as soon as I find it.

EDIT: Found it Here

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
if u want to be able to melee and have a bot go slash tbh ;) amy loves u really it does

Sauruman

Loyal Freddie
Conchabar said:
if u want to be able to melee and have a bot go slash tbh ;) amy loves u really it does

Considering its a must to be buffed to rvr, thats not a valid reason. Slash isn't worth if u don't have purge3, coz most of the times assassins will rip u coz of the chain evades they get.

Ruvinan MadeInDenmark

Fledgling Freddie
If youre only gonna have 29 slash or thrust isnt Amy the most viable due to Very high to hit on amy style, or isnt it that much of a diffrence to take thrust being high dex?

What about artis, wouldnt Malice be more yummy than GS?

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
Sauruman said:
Considering its a must to be buffed to rvr, thats not a valid reason. Slash isn't worth if u don't have purge3, coz most of the times assassins will rip u coz of the chain evades they get.
sorry i was considering the american classic server i forget my self to often besides the fact i havent played on daoc for over 2 years;)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Scouts autotrain in Longbow (you’ll have 77 extra points to spend once you hit 48).

Slash: 100% strength based
Pros: Malice’s axe (proc is very, very nice), high to-hit style at level 29
Cons: One str debuff from a Shadowblade and you’re poking someone with a toothpick (your damage is instantly devastated). If you’ve gone Saracen for bow damage, your str will be lower, so therefore your slash melee output will also be low.

Thrust: 50% strength, 50% dexterity based
Pros: Str debuffs only half-gimp your damage, meaning you still have high melee weaponskill/chance to hit etc, bowskill is also dex, so speccing Saracen is great for thrust.
Cons: No Malice’s axe (although you can have one on your back for the charge).

Personally I’m Saracen thrust; I made my template so I can equip any weapon; so I can use all legendary weapons, artifacts etc depending who I’m fighting.

Kerig

Fledgling Freddie
the differences between a 45 bow based spec and 40 bow spec are very minimal tbh.

@45 bow/ 34 thrust my bow skill is 2030, thrust skill is 1442.
which gives a typical bow damage of 440, and styled melee hit of 144.

@40 bow/ 39 thrust my bow skill would be 1970, thrust skill 1487.
which would give a typical bow damage of 428, and styled melee hit of 149.

its possible that the extra 3% weaponskill could help to slightly reduce evades?, but if you believe wyrds testing composite spec >50 has zero effect on evade / block rate etc.
to my mind the real difference is in rapidfireII vs the sidestrafe dehaste thrust style.

if your a melee scout you will want the style, but to do noticeably better melee damage you really, really need a maxed toa melee template, and pure melee realm abilities.

incidentally if you go slash over thrust you would need to go aug str 4+ to equal your thrust weaponskill. how much effect amethyst has i have no idea, testing ages, and ages ago showed that to-hit bonuses had no effect vs rvr opponents, but ive not seen any retests for 2 years or more, and that may have been an early bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom